Is The Irish Experiment Over?

Remove this Banner Ad

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now the Cat B rookie rules involving players from within Australia have been relaxed, have we seen an end to the Irish imports? and if so, should we be even be playing International Rules anymore?

Think the last couple of International games with the AA players have actually been quite successful and would like to see it continue

Quite a good idea in the end providing an opportunity for the best players to play together

I dont think it will change much at all.. Bringing in talent from all around the world will keep happening.

There were plenty of Irish lads picked up this offseason.

More then what tassie had to offer

Really? honestly didn't hear of one TBH but I dont follow things as closely as I used too, or maybe it just isn't as news worthy anymore.

I hope we don't see that international rules abomination ever again.
I quite liked it TBH, especially when both sides were evenly matched, funny thing about that game though is the massive score swings, always seemed one team got a mile in front only for the other team to come rushing back.

I quite liked it TBH, especially when both sides were evenly matched, funny thing about that game though is the massive score swings, always seemed one team got a mile in front only for the other team to come rushing back.

It's okay to have in our own backyard where no one can see it. It was when the AFL talked about playing it in the USA that really irked me. It's quite embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends what experiment you mean.

Are you referring to the experiments of Hoffman of Stuttgart from 1845-1849 in Ireland?

His idea to observe the reaction of Irishmen when someone yelled "potato famine!" was branded useless at the time & surprisingly to this day, still is.

I hope we don't see that international rules abomination ever again.
Don't care what you say, it's a pleasure to watch (most of) the AA team play together.

It could be a lot better. Playing the game that's natural to them for starters.
State of Origin would be a dream come true, but this is much better than nothing.

Hanley, Tuohy and Byrne just a few of the Irish players that doing very well at AFL level. More than any other time I would have thought.
If anything it has grown since the likes of Stynes were pioneer types and Tadgh Kennelly passing on the baton.

Kidding right? Probably never been more on AFL lists than there will be in 2017.
P Hanley - GCS
C Hanley - Brisbane
C O'Riordan - Sydney
C Byrne - Carlton
C Sheehan - Carlton
Z Touhy - Geelong
R Connellan - St Kilda
D Joyce - St Kilda

P Brophy - WCE
C Glass - Hawthorn
C Nash - Hawthorn
M O'Connor - Geelong

C McKenna - Essendon

The ones in bold are just signed going into 2017. And the AFL has just had their Irish combine a couple of weeks ago. Look likely to take 5 from that combine to audition for clubs with the AFL Academy group in the US next year. Kerry have a big group of talented youngsters at the moment and are worried they will lose most of them to AFL clubs. So not over by a long shot.

Will play every game if fit:
P Hanley - GCS
Z Tuohy - Geelong

Should play a decent amount of games:
C Byrne - Carlton (would be best 22 if not recovering from ACL)
C Sheehan - Carlton (fingers crossed on fitness)
C McKenna - Essendon

Will likely get at least a couple of games to impress:
C Hanley - Brisbane
C O'Riordan - Sydney

Newbies, will be doing extremely well to get a run:
R Connellan - St Kilda
D Joyce - St Kilda
C Glass - Hawthorn
C Nash - Hawthorn
M O'Connor - Geelong

I'd rate Nash and Connellan as the most likely to play this year in that group as they are the most physically developed. Nash is a freak athlete. Brophy may get a shot but he's played consistently in the WAFL for 2 years without getting near an AFL shot so I'd be surprised if he can make the jump this year.

While it remains a free shot I doubt it'll be abandoned any time soon. Although it's interesting to see the approach adopted by Hawthorn and St Kilda of grouping them in twos, probably to reduce the homesickness risk. Although it becomes less of a free shot in this case as one of the two must be placed on the regular rookie list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back