Is the jigsaw puzzle complete & if not what price to pay ?

Remove this Banner Ad

No price to pay and a little off topic, maybe, but it is about augmenting our list. There are some really familiar names coming through the under 16s - especially on the indigenous side of things.
Liam Bennell
Neil Winmar
Michael Headland
Callum Ah Chee
Allister Yarran
Cody Ninyette
Troy Garlett

Some great names there > most of which have been named in the Flying Boomerang's squad.
Hope to see some of them later in the blue and gold.

Sheppard is probably our main hope in being that quick elite kicking midfielder.

Scott Selwood Masten Shuey Gaff are not slow they are much quicker than average.

Bit of a misconception that we have a slow midfield.

I would have said that we generally have a "one paced" midfield. Elite endurance runners, but few real "sprinters" in the bunch. What we need is a speedy midfielder who can break the lines with his pace and hit a target by foot. Of course, such players are not easy to find, and given that I expect that the Eagles will be picking late in next years first round of the draft, we would be lucky to get such a player.

I would have said that we generally have a "one paced" midfield. Elite endurance runners, but few real "sprinters" in the bunch. What we need is a speedy midfielder who can break the lines with his pace and hit a target by foot. Of course, such players are not easy to find, and given that I expect that the Eagles will be picking late in next years first round of the draft, we would be lucky to get such a player.

I know you said "few" but I guess it depends whether you mean acceleration or top speed. Shuey and, to a lesser extent, Selwood have shown that they do have the ability to accelerate out of trouble.
Top speed, not so much.

I know you said "few" but I guess it depends whether you mean acceleration or top speed. Shuey and, to a lesser extent, Selwood have shown that they do have the ability to accelerate out of trouble.
Top speed, not so much.

Be nice to have a midfielder with a L.Jetta, Garland,Yarran,Bennell type of acceleration. Hmmm there is a common theme there

There my friend goes all your credibility and respect on bigfooty. Please place an * in all your posts highlighting this fact.

On career best form id put them in that order. If you care to disagree perhaps you should eleborate on that. :thumbsu:

Cooney has a brownlow, at his best he had an explosive pace and strength combination only matched by Judd and Swan in the last ten years.

Varcoe deserves to sit above Wells, not super consistent but he's got superb skills, immense strength and great pace. Last years GF is a standout performance that will be remembered for some time.

Yarran is an emmense talent and he's got plenty of room to improve he's ahead of him. He's ahead of Wells because he's done a lot more than Wells had at a similar stage in their careers, is obviously more talented and has applied himself better.

Wells is old and for most of his career hasn't produced what was expected of him. The last few years he's been very good but he hasn't made up for all those years of below par performances.

Perhaps in the future you should add some content to your posts.

Are you serious with the last 4 in comparison to S Hill?

Im not the one comparing them. Others are comparing stronger and more physical players with softer and less intense players.

For a start the first 3 are very similar type players, but I would say only Wells is the better player currently, Yarran has only played FP and HB (reckon if he was in midfield would be nowhere near Hill). Cooney is both inside / outside.

What exactly is this thread about? It's about midfield rotations, now that can stretch from someone like J.Garlett, who is going to flash through the middle once in a blue moon and push up the ground. Then go all the way to a Cooney who can play through the centre square, wings and both flanks.

Hill and Yarran are from the same drafts and Hill has done no more than Yarran and visa versa, i just like Yarrans style of play and his physical attributes more.

Hill plays on a wing and a flank, while he's perfectly capable of winning contested football he isn't noted as being capable of winning hard ball or one on one contests.

Varcoe is a great player, but wouldnt say he is ahead and if so not by much. Hill has more potential.

Varcoe is a 90kg of highly skilled pack bursting and grand final winning brilliance. Hill is always going to be skinny and his natural game doesn't thrive on contested football. He's provides a nice release of pressure when he goes on a run. Varcoe does the same but without the loss of a strong physical presence.

Not that I think we would be a chance to get him. I know its early but look how our Hill has been playing so far for us? I would have called him a soft, unquestionable player before hand as well (albeit think thats too harsh on Freos hill).

Very different players, Hill is that medium tall forward who is yet to stamp himself on the game in a great way for us, and while he's been good for us im not convinced that it's anything more than occupying a vacant position, taking hegemony and playing his role. We shall see how he faces a big test this week and how his game develops over the coming seasons.

Anyway, I think its that outside type S Hill is what we need or a real quality that does both (definitely not another pure inside player). Also, a quality HB with a bit of pace that can really deliver the ball long and well would be good to but I reckon we can have someone capable of no 2 in the WAFL if given time to develop. Bennel could be perfectt, we have the environment to turn him in to a more disciplined player or at the least an environment where he should reach his potential (aka Hill).

Bennell has no physical presence, just like Stephen Hill. While he's young and exciting, it's easy to be tempted by the idea of a player, especially when he has the raw pace and rare ability to control the ball at pace like Peter Matera could.

Guys that can play forward of the ball and play with the ball coming towards them and/or win their fare share of the ball have my respect and attention, if they do both they can play forward and middle. Guys that play off the ball and wait for a special delivery to break games open are a burden unless they are freakish good, otherwise i don't want them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage I'd say we need another 1-2 elite inside midfielders. We are being pantsed in clearances this year considering our unbeaten status and percentage... Priddis amassed 23 in the first two games by himself...

We could either trade for an established star - but I don't see this as too viable an option. I'd say we are still another 2-3 seasons away from a premiership at this stage (sorry!) so building our own up from within, targeting in the draft, or targeting Swallow from GC (looking likely).

We have gone from having an almost non-existant forward line to probably the most dangerous forward line in the game (with Nicoski and LeCras in) and our best back six are getting better and better and working together much better than they were two years ago.

At this stage I'd say we need another 1-2 elite inside midfielders. We are being pantsed in clearances this year considering our unbeaten status and percentage... Priddis amassed 23 in the first two games by himself...

We could either trade for an established star - but I don't see this as too viable an option. I'd say we are still another 2-3 seasons away from a premiership at this stage (sorry!) so building our own up from within, targeting in the draft, or targeting Swallow from GC (looking likely).

We have gone from having an almost non-existant forward line to probably the most dangerous forward line in the game (with Nicoski and LeCras in) and our best back six are getting better and better and working together much better than they were two years ago.
Going to have to wait until the end of 2014
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/david-swallow-resigns-with-gc-suns-20120415-1x0yo.html

But I agree our weakess link at the moment is clearances, though with the maturatiy of the mids we should get better - S Selwood and Masten Drafted in 2007 now look like they belong out there we have Stevens, Swift, Weedon and Mcginnity, all a year or 2 behind them so they should replace Kerr / Priddis

Did anyone watch S Hill play on the weekend?

Tagged out of the game for 3 quarters but got loose in the 4th and made a difference, probably won the match for them with his pace breaking away from packs and accuracy by foot hitting targets. It's that sort of X-factor that we lack, and need.
Shuey kinda has it, but another would be very nice.
It shows that you don't have to get 25 touches a game to make a difference, to turn a loss into a win. X-factor.

One of Dayle Garlett or Shannon Taylor could be that type of player for us. One should be available at our first pick.

One of Dayle Garlett or Shannon Taylor could be that type of player for us. One should be available at our first pick.

The way Garlett is going - he is likely to be available at WC's 3rd pick.

Seriously what was noticeable on Saturday night, is that Hill and Rioli were capable of handling the ball in a manner that basically no-one on the field was able to. For those of you who can remember this, I was at a match at Subi probably 6-7 years ago when WC played North Melb in the wet and WC won that match simply due to the skills of one person - Ashley Sampi who handled the wet ball like it was dry and no-one else could, including Judd and Kerr who IIRC were both playing.

The way Garlett is going - he is likely to be available at WC's 3rd pick.

Seriously what was noticeable on Saturday night, is that Hill and Rioli were capable of handling the ball in a manner that basically no-one on the field was able to. For those of you who can remember this, I was at a match at Subi probably 6-7 years ago when WC played North Melb in the wet and WC won that match simply due to the skills of one person - Ashley Sampi who handled the wet ball like it was dry and no-one else could, including Judd and Kerr who IIRC were both playing.

Bondy take a look at Josh Simpson if you get a chance, there's a talent.

D Garlett is falling back, Shannon Taylor would love.

Chris Yarran is way too incostistent, you could compare him to n winmar at the saints great talent unlikely to get a game though.

The sibling of a friend of mine knows Shannon Taylor.

From what I've gathered, Shannon is a little bit more disruptive than your average potential draftee. I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of those guys that fell way down the draft order... More like Troy Taylor than Jack Darling.

Bondy take a look at Josh Simpson if you get a chance, there's a talent.

D Garlett is falling back, Shannon Taylor would love.

Chris Yarran is way too incostistent, you could compare him to n winmar at the saints great talent unlikely to get a game though.

Is Josh Simpson the indigenous kid from SA?

If so, he looked unbelievable in last years u/18.

I'd lock the Cup in if we had one more gifted midfielder in the team. It would be a sure thing.

Imagine our team with Cotchin in it.... drool

Remove this Banner Ad

Back