Society/Culture Is the Karen meme sexist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
It seems sexist to me, in the same way that 'mansplaining' is. These labels are affixed to people of a particular gender, although there are exceptions, so that becomes one of the main ways of judging someone's behaviour. You're less likely to be called a Karen as a man, less likely to have your complaint dismissed on that basis.

Julia Baird has written an article about the sexist Karen meme, and others have also criticised the label, but it still seems to be accepted. Mostly because women who complain are just called Karens.

Defenders of this meme would say that it only applies to certain types of women, however imo it leaves the door open to prejudice against anyone of a particular sex who has a complaint, whether it's justified or not.

karen-slur-web-637x397.png

I've noticed a rise in singular first names being used as labels for whole groups of people. The name's not a popular one used here in Australia but in the U.S the name 'Chad' has very similar overtones

No. It’s not sexist.

It started from Facebook rants by Middle Aged woman who complain constantly on local group pages about inane issues morphing into videos of them giving sermons and lectures on how others should lead their lives.

So a lot of (mostly American) woman now who are filmed screeching obscenities and having a tantrum in a shop or ringing 911 to deal with minor issues or causing a ruckus in a carpark is summed up by the term “ a Karen”.

Only in the way that all generalisations against a group can be considered an 'ist' of any variety in a small way.

The question becomes, does the degree to which this is sexist prompt a need to cease generalizing in this way? Probably not.

I hate this about our society right now. We have a third world war brewing, we have an American presidential election incoming, we have had the bushfires and the coronavirus, and this is what we're talking about? Really?

It's definitely a gendered label, but it's really about the people who display their entitlement in public outbursts.

It sucks if people who have genuine reasons for objecting to certain treatment, or a particular state of affairs, cop the label.

The "Karen" meme is more directed at an attitude than an individual gender/age. In my time in retail and working events I have seen plenty of male Karen's who asked for my boss who would tell them exactly what I said and they would happily accept my boss' answer over mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only in the way that all generalisations against a group can be considered an 'ist' of any variety in a small way.

The question becomes, does the degree to which this is sexist prompt a need to cease generalizing in this way? Probably not.

I hate this about our society right now. We have a third world war brewing, we have an American presidential election incoming, we have had the bushfires and the coronavirus, and this is what we're talking about? Really?

Bingo!

A biological "generalisation", in the same way that women predominately make the best nurses and men make the best engineers.

It does not apply to the entire sex and is therefore not "sexist".

Do Karens have to be white? I see it as being more indicative of the sort of entitlement that economic and education advantage provides, so I'm sure there are many Karens of asian descent.

I'm sure every country has their own Karen's, ours just happen to be mostly white, given we're a mostly white country and all. No doubt there's Asian and African Karens too.

I have an aunt named Karen.

She is a serial thief having fallen out with family members and losing jobs over stealing stuff etc. She even had a stint in jail for stealing thousands of dollars from an employer.

Fair play IMO.

No. It’s not sexist.

It started from Facebook rants by Middle Aged woman who complain constantly on local group pages about inane issues morphing into videos of them giving sermons and lectures on how others should lead their lives.

So a lot of (mostly American) woman now who are filmed screeching obscenities and having a tantrum in a shop or ringing 911 to deal with minor issues or causing a ruckus in a carpark is summed up by the term “ a Karen”.
dude that is detail which I like to read before I say anything.. Karens have only themselves to blame.. they don't rip the shreds of everyone else who
tells them they are a 'Karen'

dude that is detail which I like to read before I say anything.. Karens have only themselves to blame.. they don't rip the shreds of everyone else who
tells them they are a 'Karen'

Could you possibly re-write that in comprehensible queens English so I can understand your message there?

Ta.

I've noticed a rise in singular first names being used as labels for whole groups of people. The name's not a popular one used here in Australia but in the U.S the name 'Chad' has very similar overtones

I googled Chad and realised that I had completely forgotten that there is a country called Chad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back