Society/Culture Is the Karen meme sexist?

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I don't think the Karen thing has really entered the mainstream lexicon. You come across it occasionally, but it isn't something readily on the lips of regular folk or that has really transcended the digital meme realm.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
It seems sexist to me, in the same way that 'mansplaining' is. These labels are affixed to people of a particular gender, although there are exceptions, so that becomes one of the main ways of judging someone's behaviour. You're less likely to be called a Karen as a man, less likely to have your complaint dismissed on that basis.

Julia Baird has written an article about the sexist Karen meme, and others have also criticised the label, but it still seems to be accepted. Mostly because women who complain are just called Karens.

Defenders of this meme would say that it only applies to certain types of women, however imo it leaves the door open to prejudice against anyone of a particular sex who has a complaint, whether it's justified or not.

karen-slur-web-637x397.png
See suggestion board. Ive already asked for this racist and sexist word to be banned from big footy.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Karen memes were all about middle aged white women when they started so you could add the racist ism to the mix if you were inclined to view things that way.

Karen memes and tiktoks areeoften hilarious. The instant video capture age we are in highlights behaviors that have gone undocumented for years

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Karen memes were all about middle aged white women when they started so you could add the racist ism to the mix if you were inclined to view things that way.

Karen memes and tiktoks areeoften hilarious. The instant video capture age we are in highlights behaviors that have gone undocumented for years

The rules on these things are quite clear, those exclusively against white people can't be sexist or racist, so I don't see how it can be if it's a slur directed at white women?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
It seems sexist to me, in the same way that 'mansplaining' is. These labels are affixed to people of a particular gender, although there are exceptions, so that becomes one of the main ways of judging someone's behaviour. You're less likely to be called a Karen as a man, less likely to have your complaint dismissed on that basis.

Julia Baird has written an article about the sexist Karen meme, and others have also criticised the label, but it still seems to be accepted. Mostly because women who complain are just called Karens.

Defenders of this meme would say that it only applies to certain types of women, however imo it leaves the door open to prejudice against anyone of a particular sex who has a complaint, whether it's justified or not.

karen-slur-web-637x397.png

This is not Karen, this is Kate and she's a mum of 8 and smoking hot.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
On the local Phillip Island fb page, a middle aged woman posted up pics yesterday of somewhere on the island of a bmx track some kids had made out in the bush while they've been home from school.

She had a bit of a whine about it and then half the island turned on her for being a Karen. If there was a backfire page on fb, this woman's post would have been number 1 with a bullet.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Me acting like a tool doesnt resemble whiteness or being femine. its not a trait related to skin colour or sex ffs.

Good luck with that in the age of identity politics.

Back