Scape Goat The Lid: Where is it at?

Is the lid off?

• Total voters

ErrolisGoldun

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Lid on. Both 2014 and 2016 I took off the lid and look what happened. Playing one week at a time.

Who do we all think is our biggest threat to play against in this finals series, assuming the 8 stays as it is.

Brisbane given what they did to us earlier in the season, or Richmond as an outside threat?

I am most worried against Brisbane, they seemed to lift a level that we couldn’t go with and that was at SCG.

Therefore hope Melbourne beats them this week.

I too only attended 2014 and 2016. Honestly don't know if I could still myself to go this year if it eventuates.

I attended 2012, 14 & 16. I think I've developed a bit of PTSD. If we make it to the GF, I'll be watching on tv somewhere.
Yeah I certainly get it. I'm lucky enough to have been able to go to all five GF's this century and up until 2016, the incredible high of the victories completely blanketed the heartbreak of the losses, but 2016 was a totally different beast - the word heartbreaking doesn't do justice to how I felt that day, can't really think of a word that does, PTSD is probably the only term that comes close.

Having said that, of course I've already checked out flights and hotels for September 😉

Whilst we're on the subject of grand final pain, let me take you back to 2013-2015. I'm straight out of high school, working weekends in two shitty bars to get through uni. For our five year anniversary, I take my Freo-supporting girlfriend to Melbourne for the grand final, which they were in that year. They lose, she's miserable.
In 2014, I'm doing a little better financially, so I decide, what the heck, treat yourself Caesar. So again I go to Melbourne for the grand final, which the Swans were in. They lose, I'm miserable.
2015 rolls around, and my girlfriend and I decide to treat my Eagles-supporting granddad to a surprise trip to Melbourne, because hey, it might be the last time he gets to see them in a grand final! So off we go to a third straight grand final, this time with granddad in tow. They lose, he's miserable.
2016 rolls around, and surely, suuuurely, this time it's gonna happen. We're playing a rubbish team and we'd been the best team all year. Lock it in Eddie. Over my girlfriend and I go to the grand final, for a fourth year in a row, this time to definitely see the Swans win. They lose, I'm miserable.

The moral of the story is don't go to grand finals. They're miserable.

Whilst we're on the subject of grand final pain, let me take you back to 2013-2015. I'm straight out of high school, working weekends in two shitty bars to get through uni. For our five year anniversary, I take my Freo-supporting girlfriend to Melbourne for the grand final, which they were in that year. They lose, she's miserable.
In 2014, I'm doing a little better financially, so I decide, what the heck, treat yourself Caesar. So again I go to Melbourne for the grand final, which the Swans were in. They lose, I'm miserable.
2015 rolls around, and my girlfriend and I decide to treat my Eagles-supporting granddad to a surprise trip to Melbourne, because hey, it might be the last time he gets to see them in a grand final! So off we go to a third straight grand final, this time with granddad in tow. They lose, he's miserable.
2016 rolls around, and surely, suuuurely, this time it's gonna happen. We're playing a rubbish team and we'd been the best team all year. Lock it in Eddie. Over my girlfriend and I go to the grand final, for a fourth year in a row, this time to definitely see the Swans win. They lose, I'm miserable.

Brilliant story Caesar, made me laugh out loud!

I don't suppose that in 2013 you sat next to a crazy old Swans supporter lady, happily wearing her Swans scarf and hat did you?
My husband and I won tickets to that game and sat next to a young couple from Perth and he was a Swans supporter.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Should we make the GF I'm grounding all flights from Perth

Brilliant story Caesar, made me laugh out loud!

I don't suppose that in 2013 you sat next to a crazy old Swans supporter lady, happily wearing her Swans scarf and hat did you?
My husband and I won tickets to that game and sat next to a young couple from Perth and he was a Swans supporter.
FDFF9D71-2CB7-4D43-BDB1-C189A2A3A220.jpeg

No Jewelsbon I was in a Swans beanie so you definitely would've known if you were next to a fellow Blood!

But what a coincidink that would've been!
No wasn't you then.
As they went past us to take their seats, the young bloke let out a kind of squeal when he saw me and asked if he could hug me (ah, pre covid days), I was a bit taken aback and then he told me he was an interstate Swans member, had been at the game the year before etc etc.
We didn't watch that much of the game, chatted about the Swans virtually the whole time - then we all went and had dinner together afterwards.
Great memories

No wasn't you then.
As they went past us to take their seats, the young bloke let out a kind of squeal when he saw me and asked if he could hug me (ah, pre covid days), I was a bit taken aback and then he told me he was an interstate Swans member, had been at the game the year before etc etc.
We didn't watch that much of the game, chatted about the Swans virtually the whole time - then we all went and had dinner together afterwards.
Great memories
Sounds like the dream day! But nowhere in that story was there a blubbering 18 year old girl crying about how "Pav is never gonna get his premiership!!!", so it definitely wasn't us!

Sounds like the dream day! But nowhere in that story was there a blubbering 18 year old girl crying about how "Pav is never gonna get his premiership!!!", so it definitely wasn't us!
No the young girl in my story was quite blasé about it all, just happy to see Freo make it I think.

2014 and 2016 is easily one of the worst days of my life (2014 afternoon, had a great evening actually)

If we win won and I'm there, it'll be one of the best days of my life

I will always try to flip that coin

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I certainly get it. I'm lucky enough to have been able to go to all five GF's this century and up until 2016, the incredible high of the victories completely blanketed the heartbreak of the losses, but 2016 was a totally different beast - the word heartbreaking doesn't do justice to how I felt that day, can't really think of a word that does, PTSD is probably the only term that comes close.

Having said that, of course I've already checked out flights and hotels for September 😉
I remember going to crown after 2016 (to drown my sorrows) and the bouncer (seeing the look of devastation on my face) gave me a fist-bump as I walked through the doors, I assume in an attempt to cheer me up, but nothing helped. There was just this overwhelming sense of devastation that I couldn't shake. It was particularly hard after having to sit through the total obliteration that was 2014. That day was rough, as was the next, and probably a few more after that.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
We are balls deep in this.

Lid is slightly ajar.
Flights booked week 1 and week 3, but spent the extra on fully flexible. Just in case.

I too only attended 2014 and 2016. Honestly don't know if I could still myself to go this year if it eventuates.

I attended 12, 14 and 16.

Difference is in 14 and 16 I was sitting with a bunch of people from the board (grimlock alanlau34 vonn SM )

In 12 I was sitting by myself.

I'm sitting by myself if we make a grand final again.

I attended 12, 14 and 16.

Difference is in 14 and 16 I was sitting with a bunch of people from the board (grimlock alanlau34 vonn SM )

In 12 I was sitting by myself.

I'm sitting by myself if we make a grand final again.

vonn better still be in hiding.

Back