Is the MCG a big advantage on Grand Final Day for Victorians against Interstate Sides? /Are Interstaters advantaged during the home and away season?

Is the MCG a significant advantage for Victorian sides against Interstate Teams on Grand Final Day?

• Yes, It's a big advantage for the Vic Big Boys

Votes: 384 66.0%
  • No. If you're good enough you'll win no matter who you play where you play

Votes: 198 34.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Similar then to the Saints, North and Bulldogs
yup they get the shaft as well on mcg times.

eddie mcguire had a really good idea a few years ago about building a new ground near the g and saving the g for blockbusters.

that would make it more like wembley stadium - a proper more neutral ground.

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
exactly how many h and a games do you think we get at the mcg?

in 2015 when we faced the lower ranked hawks in a gf at the g we had one game

wed had two the year before that, one the year before that, two before that, one before that.

we have gfs where players are playing their first game on the g...... in a gf

liam ryan in 2018, and there was a handful in 2015.

forwards especially benefit from knowing a ground as evidenced by forwards whos team is tenants at the g’s conversion rate at home vs away.
Sure, I'm not saying it's a big factor, or there's any kind of crazy discrepancy. Just answering your question about what possible argument there could be to say it's harder for an MCG tenant to win at Optus than vice versa. The Eagles don't play the MCG a whole lot, but they do play there more often than MCG tenants play at Optus.

Last edited:

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
if its a vic team v a non-vic team grand final, both grand final clubs should spend the thurs and friday nights in hotels in melbourne - they do if two non-victorian teams (eg syd v west coast in mid 2000s)

if its two Vic teams v eachother, then both sets of teams can stay at home as no point.

surely noone can argue against that?
Then in Enter the WC eagles supporters

3) It may also be that some Vic clubs get no home games all season, whereas the Eagles get too play most of their home games at home,gaining a huge advantage, which through an inability to travel well, they still cant take at advantage of, yet still "earn" a home final while clubs finishing above them haver to play away yet again.

Simple fact has always been if you're good enough you win it anywhere, this year we played the Eagles at a neutral ground, so no excuses for either team and we found that at the time Richmond was simply the better team.
Yeah yeah but but it was at night. It was dewy and WC cant handle those extremely harsh conditions

Have you been watching football for the last twenty years? The only non Victorian club to get hold of a Melbourne team in a grand final was the great Brisbane side 2001-2003.
What about that amazing bradbury in 2018. Surely you didnt forget that piece of luck.

had a chat with sam mitchell when he was at the eagles and he said the flying every second week was brutal on his body. he hated it.

all victorian supporters see is 10 home games and think they are automatic wins.

our record since we moved to optus is 80%

thats been 3 years where weve been top eight - 6 losses

richmonds record at the g in that time has been 4 losses despite playing a lot more games there
Hahaha. There is not a chance on earth that you'd only just bring this up 2 years after your 'supposed chat'. Just to support your WC stance. Please spare us the lies. The sheer agony and pain of sitting on your arse for a flight is extremely brutal. LOL. Do you ever read the s**t you post before hand. LOL

andon

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Not all Victorian teams have the advantage just 4

Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, Melbourne all have a 3 goal plus MCG advantage against every other club.

The docklands based clubs do not have an advantage at the G as they are playing away from their home ground.

Geelong do not have an MCG Advantage as they are home based in Geelong and dont play the G very often.

All interstate teams are at a disadvantage against the 4 MCG based teams.

The AFL structure needs to be restructured and equalised.

Been to 3 grand finals and it seems like the West Coast Supporters have been outnumbered by a decent amount.

I think at the very least there should be way more tickets available for members of the teams playing and if the finals are MCG only the AFL should subsidise the airfares for interstate teams supporters. Cost me over 5000 in total last time

Interesting that we have played in over fifty finals. Twice as many away from Perth winning around 80 percent at home and around 40 percent away
Couldve done an around the world airfare for less than half that ;)

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Might want to double check that one. His games for GC there weren't in the last 2 years.
I meant incl last 2 years, but accept I posted incorrectly.
I should have said that Tom Lynch played only 19 games in a normal 2019 season and a COVID 2020 season at the MCG. Compared to Travis Boaks 21 games in his illustrious career.

Or I could have said is that Port Adelaide have played 47 games at the MCG since 1997, compared to Richmond having played 42 games in Adelaide since 1991.

I guess that Richmond hypothetically playing a GF in Adelaide isn't that much of a difference to Port Adelaide having to play a GF at the MCG, right?

Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, Melbourne all have a 3 goal plus MCG advantage against every other club.

The docklands based clubs do not have an advantage at the G as they are playing away from their home ground.

Geelong do not have an MCG Advantage as they are home based in Geelong and dont play the G very often.

I see 3 advantages

1) Familiarity with home ground
2) Ability to sleep in their own beds and maintain their routine
3) Crowd accessibility allowing more fans to get there and make it a fortress anyway

Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne and Hawthorn have all 3 advantages
Essendon and Carlton have all 3, just with a lesser degree on the first.
North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and St Kilda only have 2 of the 3.
Geelong either have 1 of 3, or 2 of 3, however, if they do gain the advantages of the 2nd point I made, they have the disadvantage of the bus trip up 2 consecutive days for the parade.

All Victorian teams have an advantage over Non-Victorian teams, just at different degrees, and those groupings I made are how Id order it.

Cant believe youd actually say Essendon and Carlton dont have any advantage.

In 2019 Hawthorn had 9 games at the MCG and Essendon 8

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
MCG
The Series

Season 1: 2057 and beyond

Season 2: Why don't they listen

Season 3: I'm crying and no-one cares

Season 4: Won't they think of the children

Season 5: We are all adults now

Finale: I'm still standing

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

You forget the fact that with 4 tenants and clubs like Essendon and Carlton playing at the G regularly the MCG tenants don't get 11 clear home games like other clubs they are also required to play at least one home game away, so while it is an advantage in finals it can be a disadvantage in the home and away season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
You forget the fact that with 4 tenants and clubs like Essendon and Carlton playing at the G regularly the MCG tenants don't get 11 clear home games like other clubs they are also required to play at least one home game away, so while it is an advantage in finals it can be a disadvantage in the home and away season.
There is no such thing as a Vic club disadvantaged.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics

Just had a look at your post history mate. For an Essendon supporter from Melbourne it's a bit weird that your favourite topic to post about is how unfair MCG GFs are for interstate teams. You also seem to have a soft spot for WC. But don't worry, you've definitey added credibility to the #VICBIAS campaign :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Then in Enter the WC eagles supporters

Yeah yeah but but it was at night. It was dewy and WC cant handle those extremely harsh conditions

What about that amazing bradbury in 2018. Surely you didnt forget that piece of luck.

Hahaha. There is not a chance on earth that you'd only just bring this up 2 years after your 'supposed chat'. Just to support your WC stance. Please spare us the lies. The sheer agony and pain of sitting on your arse for a flight is extremely brutal. LOL. Do you ever read the sh*t you post before hand. LOL
if i hadnt posted it before.... try google

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Sure, I'm not saying it's a big factor, or there's any kind of crazy discrepancy. Just answering your question about what possible argument there could be to say it's harder for an MCG tenant to win at Optus than vice versa. The Eagles don't play the MCG a whole lot, but they do play there more often than MCG tenants play at Optus.
the huge massive incomparable difference is that you will only meet us in a final at optus when we finish higher than you.

where as in another season you could come ninth, essendon could cheat again.

you could be elevated to 8th - win your way to a gf - then play us at the mcg in a gf

your home ground.

we could have won every game all year and 9th still gets the hga come gf day.

or 8th

or 7th

or 6th

or 5th

or 4th

or 3rd

or 2nd

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
View attachment 962131

have another look - if we come third we play away week one - if we win that we play at home week 3 - win that and we play away in the gf.

thats two finals with all crunching and bruised and sore bodies playing two weeks away in four

two weeks away is our absolute minimum.

3 weeks is more likely as in week one you are playing interstate and you are more likely to lose away than at home (statistically you have a 20% chance of winning a final interstate)

that means 3 interstate finals in 4 weeks
This one Kranky?
I’ve never debated you guys had to travel for the GF. That’s a no-brainer and we have long been in agreement that once a side makes it there, a Vic side has the advantage over the non Vic side as they don’t travel that week.

My contention to your post is that from 3-4 position on the ladder it is just as difficult to MAKE the GF as a Vic or non Vic team. Apologies if in my post I was not being clear that I was addressing a specific of your post.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
luckily optus isnt the gf venue every year then.

lucky optus is only worth 0,4 or 8 points a year.

the mcg is worth every single point from every single team all added up.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
This one Kranky?
I’ve never debated you guys had to travel for the GF. That’s a no-brainer and we have long been in agreement that once a side makes it there, a Vic side has the advantage over the non Vic side as they don’t travel that week.

My contention to your post is that from 3-4 position on the ladder it is just as difficult to MAKE the GF as a Vic or non Vic team. Apologies if in my post I was not being clear that I was addressing a specific of your post.
3 or 4 means we travel guaranteed in week one bar the tiny statistical anomaly of a derby.

thats two weeks of travel minimum - seeing as travellers win 20% of away finals.....

3 or 4 for a vic team means statistically the are more likely to not travel.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
3 or 4 means we travel guaranteed in week one bar the tiny statistical anomaly of a derby.

thats two weeks of travel minimum - seeing as travellers win 20% of away finals.....

3 or 4 for a vic team means statistically the are more likely to not travel.
You would think that by the weight of numbers of the Vic clubs.

But the last ten years (including this one) has shown that two years Vic teams finished in the top two positions, two years non Vic teams finished in the top two positions and six years one Vic and one non Vic team finished in the top two positions.

Says something about the FIXture that non Vic clubs have punched above their weight to finish top two so often.

This year is a great example of the power of home ground advantage with the top two sides, while deserving, also having a significant advantage playing on their own deck to ensure a top seeding for finals.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
You would think that by the weight of numbers of the Vic clubs.

But the last ten years (including this one) has shown that two years Vic teams finished in the top two positions, two years non Vic teams finished in the top two positions and six years one Vic and one non Vic team finished in the top two positions.

Says something about the FIXture that non Vic clubs have punched above their weight to finish top two so often.

This year is a great example of the power of home ground advantage with the top two sides, while deserving, also having a significant advantage playing on their own deck to ensure a top seeding for finals.
13 of the 16 best home and away seasons in AFL era have been Vic Clubs, incl the best 5 (Geelong 2008, Essendon 2000, Collingwood 2011, St Kilda 2009, Carlton 1995).

Interestingly those 3 non Vic Clubs (WC 91 PA 02, PA 03) then failed to win the flag through their own faults.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
only if you believe that its harder for victorian teams to travel interstate and win than it is for interstate teams to fly to another state and win.

because we play as many games interstate with a disadvantage as we do at home with an advantage

Back