Is the no 1 draft pick worth tanking for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have listed the no 1 draft pick for the 2000s and a little summary of what i think the players peak was. The number of premierships won is pretty damning which leads me to think tanking to get a number 1 pick is futile and there are better ways to win a premiership.

What are your thoughts?

Nick RiewoldtSt Kildano premierships Champion - no 1 player in the league
Luke HodgeHawthorn3 premierships Champion - top 10 player
Brendon GoddardSt Kildano premiershipstop 3 player - enigmatic
Adam CooneyWestern Bulldogsno premiershipsBrownlow medalist
Brett DeledioRichmondno premiershipsTop 25 player
Marc MurphyCarltonno premiershipsTop 25 player
Bryce GibbsCarltonno premiershipsTop 25 player
Matthew KreuzerCarltonno premiershipsinjuries curtailed his career
Jack WattsMelbourneno premiershipsHe is Jack Watts, enough said
Tom ScullyMelbourneno premiershipsretired early - top 50 player maybe
David SwallowGold Coastno premiershipstop 50 player
Jonathon PattonGreater Western Sydneyno premiershipscareer ended early . injury prone.
Lachie WhitfieldGreater Western Sydneyno premiershipstop 25 player
Tom BoydGreater Western Sydney1 Premiership1 great year - retired early
Paddy McCartinSt Kildano premiershipsdelisted. injury prone back and playing well , top 100 player
Jacob WeiteringCarltonno premiershipsno 1 defender in the league
Andrew McGrathEssendonno premiershipsupmarket list clogger
Cameron RaynerBrisbane Lionsno premiershipsupmarket list clogger
Sam WalshCarltonno premiershipspotential best midfielder
Matthew RowellGold Coastno premiershipsjurys out. showing top 25 promise
Jamarra Ugle-HaganWestern Bulldogsno premiershipsjury out
Jason Horne-FrancisNorth Melbourneno premiershipsjury out

Not worth tanking for, but I think playing the kids and focusing on development is the best approach, pick up the early picks and invest all your energy in the future, rather than trying to prop up the team with average players and finish mid table.

Marc Murphy won the AFLCA award in 2011 - his peak was a fair bit higher than top 25. Gibbs came 9th in the Brownlow in 2009, so he arguably peaked as a Top 10/Top15 player also.

It's not worth tanking though. You can net a decent player, but it sinks your culture and more than likely the player you choose wont be the best player in their draft cohort. You're just as likely to end up with Jack Watts or Andy McGrath.

Why do premierships need to be bought up when assessing how good a player is/was... plenty of fantastic players never one a flag > Gary Ablett Snr, Tony Lockett, Nick Reiwoldt, Nathan Buckley, Bob Skilton, Robert Harvey.

This year, North Melbourne are so bad, that it would be laughably impossible for Eagles and or Bombers to be bad enough to tank for the number 1 pick, so no it's not worth it this year.

In a year where the bottom 2 are locked on say 4 wins with similar percentage, then in the last few rounds of the season, it's absolutely worth playing the kids and experimenting in order to secure the number 1 pick and not win too many meaningless games. People talk about culture, but winning 1 game in the last few rounds in a dead rubber isn't a club building cultural win when you get pansted by 90 points in the weeks before and after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do premierships need to be bought up when assessing how good a player is/was... plenty of fantastic players never one a flag > Gary Ablett Snr, Tony Lockett, Nick Reiwoldt, Nathan Buckley, Bob Skilton, Robert Harvey.
Because in this context, we're talking about the value of a team tanking to get pick 1. If only one of those teams have ever (well, since 2000 at least) gone on to win a flag, it makes for an interesting discussion.

Because in this context, we're talking about the value of a team tanking to get pick 1. If only one of those teams have ever (well, since 2000 at least) gone on to win a flag, it makes for an interesting discussion.
Nick Reiwoldt pick 1, never won a flag... was the decision to take him at pick 1 a failure/bad decision?

If the Saints had taken 4 time flag winner Shaun Burgoyne(went pick 12 in the same draft) instead of Reiwoldt would that have netted them a flag?

Definitely tank for a few of those early 2000s ones, but from 2008 onwards not worth it at all. One might even say that tanking has been Jack Watts.

Nick Reiwoldt pick 1, never won a flag... was the decision to take him at pick 1 a failure/bad decision?

If the Saints had taken 4 time flag winner Shaun Burgoyne(went pick 12 in the same draft) instead of Reiwoldt would that have netted them a flag?
Picking Riewoldt was always the right choice.

One of the few number 1 picks that has zero debate about it.

St Kilda was gifted 2002 number 1 pick due to Carlton's punishment though.

Look at what happened to Melbourne when they decided to tank, another 7-8 years of terrible results. No senior players to set standards, players leaving the club because of it, so no it's not a good idea to tank.

I have listed the no 1 draft pick for the 2000s and a little summary of what i think the players peak was. The number of premierships won is pretty damning which leads me to think tanking to get a number 1 pick is futile and there are better ways to win a premiership.

What are your thoughts?

Most teams bad enough to get Pick 1 are quite bad, such that it takes them a decade or more to get back to not being bad, by which time that Pick 1 is finishing their career.

Sometimes there's a year where you don't have to be 'that' bad to come last though (St Kilda 2000 and 2001, Bulldogs 2002), or, like Hawthorn with Hodge, your pick 1 was a traded in pick whilst your team finished inside the 8.

Sometimes you have clubs that are mismanaged to varying degrees and never really come good during that players career; Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne and Gold Coast (David Swallow).

The damage to your culture from out and out tanking would be more significant than the difference between pick 1 and pick 2/3/4 (whatever you would have got otherwise).

If you're genuinely crap enough that you're very close to coming last regardless, and a couple of dubious moves in terms of matchday coaching or selection is enough to make the difference (let's play that soft flanker as an inside mid and try our best backman at FF to see how they go), while still having the players believe you're trying...maybe.

Never been worth it, and I think most clubs would be under that impression by now.

If your recruiting department is good, a top 3, or even top 5, pick is good enough.

I think the point was more to show teams that collect number one picks don’t win premierships

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back