Is the quality of new music diminishing, or am I just getting old?

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't discount going back and listening to old bands though.

There's a lot of stuff worth listening to that isn't played on golden oldies stations. A lot of albums that are great from start to finish that many of the younger generations haven't heard.
I've really been meaning to go back and listen to Bowie and Neil Young. Both before my time and while I'm aware of their hits, I wouldn't know even a fraction of their work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MelbourneCrow

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Chelsea
Take it from me, a very large proportion of chart music up to the late 80s was decent/brilliant, then Take That came along and all the boy bands and all the girl bands, then the sh*t solo artists who people like Richard Wilkins gush over. The equivalents of Nova, Mix etc. that I listened to in the UK in the 70s and 80s (nothing for alternative music then) had far better music to play than is around today.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
Jul 12, 2013
Wherever the ESH clubrooms are
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Colorado Rockies.
I've been wikipediaing bands, then their producer and the finding bands produced by said producer. Working well too
I like wikipedia for searching music seeing it gives you a quick summary of reviews for albums.

That, and finding music reviewers who's taste who mesh well with yours tend to make the whole searching for music easier.

Golumless

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Take it from me, a very large proportion of chart music up to the late 80s was decent/brilliant, then Take That came along and all the boy bands and all the girl bands, then the sh*t solo artists who people like Richard Wilkins gush over. The equivalents of Nova, Mix etc. that I listened to in the UK in the 70s and 80s (nothing for alternative music then) had far better music to play than is around today.
One persons opinion doesn't mean much ;)

(I say that as a 20 odd person in todays era who has is quite meh on either the 80s music that charted, or the music today that charts).

Last edited:

Golumless

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I have tried hard to be objective when listening to many, many songs produced in the last ten or so years. I've tried to relate to the lyrics; I've tried to become absorbed in what the artist is presumably trying to achieve. But I can't. I find many of today's music bland. And I certainly can't see the same level of artistry in pop music now as I did back in the day.

This all begs the questuon: is the quality of the music which charts today of a lower standard than what charted twenty-five years ago? Or am I getting old and finding that new music is something which I can no longer relate to?
Charts - Probably the same, lots of forgettable music mixed with the occasional song that lasts the test of time in it's scene. There is a level of nostalgia looking back at music from a earlier period of your life which does make it feel better.

It could be simply that a lot of where the innovation today chart wise simply doesn't interest you which is a fair enough thing seeing most of it (and needless to say, the stuff that'll stand the test of time) has been in either rap, or EDM in the 2010s mainstream wise.

Really though, it means little, after all music is about finding the hidden gems that exists.

SnakeMan86

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2007
Supercoach Hell
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Orlando magic Baltimore Ravens
When was the last incredible rock album released?
There there. Just need to look outside of mainstream america.
'H.E.A.T" from Sweden Tearing down the walls 2014 and Address the Nation 2012 are great rock albums.
From Europe
"Reckless Loves" Album spirit from 2013 is also a ripper
Its out there. Its just way harder to find as "Rock" isnt the cool thing anymore.

Top Bottom