General Bombers Talk Is the slide on.

Remove this Banner Ad

This week I'm now feeling we will crush the eagles and get some form back, guys will not want a repeat performance of last week and will have a point to prove.

Ha. Still doesn't seem real. Every time he gets it is a real bonus for me. It's always "Holy s**t; we've got Goddard!"

I felt that way for the first 12 rounds. he's been ordinary second half of this season. holy McPhumbles. still glad to have him, don't get me wrong. but he's come back down to earth for me anyway.

does the pies win against swans (jumping the gun i know) make you all feel better about the last 2 weeks.... slide? or a defeat against 2 very solid teams...

A must win, tomorrow. Very very important or I fear we may limp through the rest of the season and finals campaign. Sports psychologists, this is where you get in our players' head space.

Injuries coming at the wrong time - after not having many before that - plus the horrendous form of Crameri, means a slide is a possibility. Tomorrow is huge!

With today's results, if we lose tomorrow we'll drop down to 7th D: very sobering considering we were third before last week

Simply must win this week if we are to stay within reach. With results going against us in some ways.. we just have to win all of them on the run home to think about top 4. Lose more than 2 and we could face a really really ugly finals series.

Might be fighting in court for the right to play Freo in Perth or Sydney in Sydney.. yeeek.

Given the magnitude of today, the preservation of ladder position, Fletch's and Stant's milestones, if we do not win with all of these to spur us on ... we're officially f*****.

So, I guess it's official.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically, its season over for us. We will probably still make the 8 but most likely get smashed by Collingwood or Richmond in the first week (if we are not already ruled out of finals).

I have been to the last three games, and I must say something has had to have been told to the players and officials, because the intensity and vigor displayed earlier in the season Is non-existant. The drop off is too dramatic for one to assume it's purly a result of On-Field issues. I sincerley hope we can turn it around soon so the players are in a fresh state of mind heading into next season!

Big Bump as my thoughts are pretty much the same as last week with some additional comments (in bold)

Slide is definitely on. The last week or so I think is the first time this whole ASADA thing has affected the players, and it's certainly affecting the coach:

Hird: Some of the coaching decisions yesterday were very questionable, if he was REALLY focused on game day it would be fine- but in light of eveything that's going on I don't think he can be, so why not let Bomber take the reigns until this s**t is sorted out...admire him being steadfast through all this but its having an affect now

Gumby: Can't remember the last time he had an impact at AFL level. Sadly he's just not up to it and will be gone at the end of the year. Hes a joke and needs to be traded

Jetta/Colyer: Downhill skiers who really need to lift before even being considered best 22. thank god they didnt play today...

Fletch: Hate to say it mate but this has to be your last year - hasn't looked good for a while now. average today again

Zakka/Crameri: What's going on with these guys? Their best is great but are both becoming frustratingly inconsistent. unsure why Crameri is out and Gumby gets a run - he must be injured oir off to the Dogs

Hurley/Winders/Dempsey: This perennially injured trio need to stay on the park coz we desperately need them fit and firing. Winders has only played 11 games from 19, and Hurley not much better with 14 (and 2 or 3 of those hes sat on the bench injured), and Dempsey with 14 from 19 also but going down injured again yesterday and unlikely to add to that tally any time soon....Hurley and Dempsey still injured, and Winders injured again today....

Kommer/Merrett: Started well and have tried hard but have both tired and neither able to have an impact for the past month. at least we have something to work with with these guys and they'll be OK after another pre-season. How Kommer is still getting a game is beyond me, though hes slightly ahead of Gumby

I hate to say it but it's looking very similar to last year, and unless we can turn things around very quickly against and eagles side who will be desperate to win to make the 8 we are finished. All in all very bloody disappointing.....

I wasn't there... How bad?

There was no motivation, no effort above and beyond the bare minimum, and a lot of players trying to pick fights/hurt WCE players. It's exactly the sort of performance you'd expect if they knew they weren't playing for points.

Yes, yes the slide is now officially on. 2nd to 7th in 3 weeks. Can't blame them though, with the trash that's been getting thrown around day in, day out for the last 6 months, how is this sort of burn out surprising? Words cannot describe how frustrating as a supporter it is to see this happening to our club, due to UNBELIEVABLE incompetence on ASADA's and the AFL's behalf. Just absolutely ******* woeful

There was no motivation, no effort above and beyond the bare minimum, and a lot of players trying to pick fights/hurt WCE players. It's exactly the sort of performance you'd expect if they knew they weren't playing for points.
You have to wonder what is going on with them and ASADA. They don't look physically spent like last year.

They look mentally gone. Even Jobe looked frustrated and was not his buoyant self on the field.

Damn this is exactly like the end of last year. I hope that it is mental but I suspect a lot of it is physical. Our team preparation needs to be looked at because we can't just lose all our games in a row at the end of the year, year in year out. I hate to say it but I fully expect us to lose all our remaining games. I doubt we would beat anyone outside of GWS/Melbourne/St.Kilda right now given how we are playing.

Also our depth players have been shown up as not being at the level we need. Basically everyone in the forward line has been disappointing in one way or another. When you look back on this year who the hell is our best forward? Stuffed if I know. They can all perform on their day but none of them regularly perform.

Our midfield never really had much depth to begin with and as the players have picked up some niggles its began to struggle. Only Watson is dependable week in week out. Some of the players had some very good periods though. Heppell is getting there and a least tries hard every week (will be in the comp's top 20 players within a year or 2). The rest can't seem to put together a whole season of consistent high level footy. Goddard's been good but he's more of a utility than anything.

I think we are a fair way short of a premiership team. We are probably like 2-3 stars and about another 3-5 b graders away. All our recruiting resources needs to go into midfielders and small/medium forwards preferably with big engines + 1 backup ruck. If we could trade a key back for a high pick or a decent young midfielder it would help bring greater balance to our list though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back