Is the top 4 set?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think we can make the top 4. Every side this year has flaws and our best can still beat anyone

Yep, the comp is that close. I think we are both too far out to make top 4, we can only afford to drop 1-2 more games for the season. So I think we’ll both finish 5-8 and have to go the hard way like you guys did last year.

I still think we can make the top 4. Every side this year has flaws and our best can still beat anyone
Dogs play 7 of their 11 remaining games against sides above them.

Tough run, but it means if they can beat most of this sides they will rise up the ladder very fast.

The draw always plays a role in where sides finish. Carlton seem to have been given the best run out of all the top 8 sides so a top 4 spot isn't out of the question for them.

Told you they are going to drop some. All of you were giving me crap. They suddenly look beatable now don’t they? First top 4 challenge and a couple of stars go down and they s**t the bed. Depth doesn’t look that great now does it?

yea, well done on predicting wed lose a game. Depth is fine thanks for asking, was good enough to have us 4 goals in front at half time.

Interestingly our biggest perceived weaknesses, at least in the media, at the end of last year have been resolved to some extent. Tim English has stepped up as the number 1 ruck and Gardiner is holding down the second kpd role quite well.

The big question really is whether our game style of crowding the midfield and dominating possession but not moving it forward with any real system will hold up against clubs that set up behind the ball then rebound it forward quickly.

A lot of our fortunes will depend on how well Bruce returns from his ACL. If he can come back in similar form to last year he helps our structure immensely and we can be challengers again.

Disappointingly we seem to need to have our backs to the wall to step up our intensity and gain the contested possession edge that our game is built off but hopefully after a flat start we can build momentum and challenge ourselves against a tough run home.

Your depth led you to a 70 point turnaround.

Depth has nothing to do with it. Do I need to copy and paste the simpleton explanation I just typed out for you in the how can Melbourne be stopped thread here as well ?

Reasons we got smashed:

In game injuries
We got slaughtered out of the middle (a reason I said would be our downfall eventually)
Goodwin arrogance (quite a few moves that I think he would regret, not moving Gawn or Weid behind the ball sooner once Petty went off and having Jayden Hunt on a KPF, Spargo on a wing instead of Brayshaw, playing Trac crook etc)
Bad day at the office, s**t happens.

Freo made the necessary adjustments at half time and gave us the business and good on them. Totally outplayed once we didnt have the game on our terms. I know you want to think its a massive concern but until it becomes a pattern its just a once off and a singular bad half. Winning 17 straight doesn't happen very often for a reason.

Depth has nothing to do with it. Do I need to copy and paste the simpleton explanation I just typed out for you in the how can Melbourne be stopped thread here as well ?

Reasons we got smashed:

In game injuries
We got slaughtered out of the middle (a reason I said would be our downfall eventually)
Goodwin arrogance (quite a few moves that I think he would regret, not moving Gawn or Weid behind the ball sooner once Petty went off and having Jayden Hunt on a KPF, Spargo on a wing instead of Brayshaw, playing Trac crook etc)
Bad day at the office, s**t happens.

Freo made the necessary adjustments at half time and gave us the business and good on them. Totally outplayed once we didnt have the game on our terms. I know you want to think its a massive concern but until it becomes a pattern its just a once off and a singular bad half. Winning 17 straight doesn't happen very often for a reason.

Which elite player goes in to replace May now then? Some guy on another thread said Adam Tomlinson as he would be #1 KPD in most teams, look at his stats your depth is stock standard with everybody else . Also we replaced vlastuin in the 2020 GF with the players already on the ground, you guys couldn’t do it against Freo.

IMG_3886.JPG

Which elite player goes in to replace May now then? Some guy on another thread said Adam Tomlinson as he would be #1 KPD in most teams, look at his stats your depth is stock standard with everybody else . Also we replaced vlastuin in the 2020 GF with the players already on the ground, you guys couldn’t do it against Freo.

View attachment 1412300
Haha

What clubs just have spare elite players in the two's they can bring in when they have an injury?

None

Which elite player goes in to replace May now then? Some guy on another thread said Adam Tomlinson as he would be #1 KPD in most teams, look at his stats your depth is stock standard with everybody else
emoji23.png
. Also we replaced vlastuin in the 2020 GF with the players already on the ground, you guys couldn’t do it against Freo.

View attachment 1412300

You really shouldn't post about things you have no idea about, cherry picking irrelevant stats with a 4 game sample size coming off an ACL. He was top 5 in the comp for least amount of marks and goals conceded to his direct opponent before the ACL last year

You really shouldn't post about things you have no idea about, cherry picking irrelevant stats with a 4 game sample size coming off an ACL. He was top 5 in the comp for least amount of marks and goals conceded to his direct opponent before the ACL last year

I posted this in the other thread, career stats are even worse

IMG_3887.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this in the other thread, career stats are even worse

View attachment 1412325

and I shot down your inability to understand relevant stats like a boss. Cant be bothered typing it out again. If you didnt know Tomlinson wasn't played exclusively as a KPD at GWS thats a reflection of your lack of knowledge, not mine.

and I shot down your inability to understand relevant stats like a boss. Cant be bothered typing it out again. If you didnt know Tomlinson wasn't played exclusively as a KPD at GWS thats a reflection of your lack of knowledge, not mine.

I’ve given you this season and career averages, defensive stats last year which apparently you think are elite. You’ve given me no evidence to support your argument other than “He’s elite and #1 KPD for most teams” and the stats I’ve given are just “gotcha moments” according to you. But yeah you shut me down “like a boss”

I’ve given you this season and career averages, defensive stats last year which apparently you think are elite. You’ve given me no evidence to support your argument other than “He’s elite and #1 KPD for most teams” and the stats I’ve given are just “gotcha moments” according to you. But yeah you shut me down “like a boss”

They aren't defensive stats, they are nonsense stats, when you find marks and goals conceded averages from 2021 let me know.

Weak year. Melbourne still clear frontrunners, after that Brisbane and then maybe about 3 times in a pack.

But as we saw not even they look invincible - albeit without May for most of that match, but even then top teams have off weeks...let's see if it's just an off week though.

Brisbane still my no 2, but again far from invincible.

I do have Freo ahead of Carlton now...though sometimes they struggle to score. Frightening ball movement at time...could Weitering (sp?) Out derail Carltons top 4 chances? Time will tell.

Dogs could be a sneaky to still make top 4 if their form improves.

Swans and Tigers might sneak in but don't see them as real contenders.

The thread is about the top 4.
You need to remove Collingwood, Bullbogs, Richmond and Port Adelaide.
The Bulldogs and Tigers are 2 wins shy of Freo (3rd), Saints (4th) and Blues (5th)
If they go 9-2 over the second half of the season and the others go 7-4, then they'll be in the top four
They might even go 8-3 and the others 6-5

Like I said in my previous post, I don't understand why people get a hard-on for "locking in" the top 4 & top 8 after only 50% of the season has been completed. Why rule out the possibilities? What is there to be gained by doing that?

In 2018, Hawthorn was in 10th place after Round 11 and ended up finishing in 4th place. They weren't even a very good team. They got bundled out in straight sets. Yet they were still able to leapfrog 6 teams and improve from 10th to 4th in the run home.

Rd 11, 2018
1... WCE.. 10-1... 133.5%
2... Rich.... 9-2... 140.5%
3... Melb... 8-3.... 140.9%
4... Syd.... 8-3.... 118.6%
5... Geel... 7-4.... 128.6%
6... N.M.... 7-4.... 125.1%
7... Coll ....7-4.... 115.7%
8... Port.... 6-4
9... Adel.... 6-5
10. Haw.... 6-5.... 104.8%
11. GWS... 5-5-1

Rd 23, 2018
1... Rich... 18-4
2... WCE.. 16-6
3... Coll... 15-7
4... Haw... 15-7
5... Melb.. 14-8
6... Syd... 14-8
7... GWS.. 13-8-1
8... Geel... 13-9
9... N.M... 12-10
10. Port... 12-10
12. Adel... 12-10

Last edited:
Weak year. Melbourne still clear frontrunners, after that Brisbane and then maybe about 3 times in a pack.

But as we saw not even they look invincible - albeit without May for most of that match, but even then top teams have off weeks...let's see if it's just an off week though.

Brisbane still my no 2, but again far from invincible.

I do have Freo ahead of Carlton now...though sometimes they struggle to score. Frightening ball movement at time...could Weitering (sp?) Out derail Carltons top 4 chances? Time will tell.

Dogs could be a sneaky to still make top 4 if their form improves.

Swans and Tigers might sneak in but don't see them as real contenders.
Why is it a weak year? If that is actually the case, does it mean WC’s 49% percentage is the worst performance in the History of the AFL if they are getting flogged by weaker teams?

Why is it a weak year? If that is actually the case, does it mean WC’s 49% percentage is the worst performance in the History of the AFL if they are getting flogged by weaker teams?

I think it's more the comp is getting more equal. Like there are more upsets, and it feels like almost any team can beat any other team on an off day. It makes it more interesting, but it can go too far.

Yeah WCE 2022 could be the worst team in any season if we don't buck up and find something. If we didn't get lucky against the Pies we could have been the only winless team in a season in the afl era.

Our top 4 aspirations died with Weitering's injury, a player we could least afford to lose. Best case scenario is 2-4 weeks, during that time Lynch and Tabenar will be licking their lips.
I agree. Weitering is such a bloody good player. I put in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread a couple of weeks back that he was the most important player in the comp atm and yersterday was a bit of a validation. No way Carlton lose that match yesterday with Weitering playing the full game. He allows the Blues to retain their shape, which became pear- after quarter time yesterday.

Dees look vulnerable. Finally playing some quality teams and getting shown up. Could slide to fifth. Their extremely healthy list is keeping them up.

Dees look vulnerable. Finally playing some quality teams and getting shown up. Could slide to fifth. Their extremely healthy list is keeping them up.

I still struggle to see them winning less than 16, and with a good percentage should be enough for top 4.

Most likely they still win 17-18.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back