Is the top 4 set?

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
No it wasn't.

We were playing our first finals series since Jesus played fullback for Jeruselum, and lost to the eventual premier on their home-ground, after already winning two finals in Melbourne. And as bad as we were we still kicked more goals in three quarters than you managed against a decimated GWS on your home ground with a week's rest.

You had a massive, massive choke. It's ok, you can admit it. Buckley did straight after the game, I don't know why you're struggling with it.
Omg are you serious...

That Melb loss to WC was just about the most disgraceful effort of any side in a final this century

I was being generous in saying it was over in 6 minutes

That was a shameful beheading, you didn't even try

Defabs

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We do ok up there, yeah that feels like a 50/50 game, they're not special

Our record in Sydney since 2000 is 13 wins and 5 losses (6 losses inc PF)

It’s quite an extraordinary record. Only once has Collingwood been blown out of the water and that was round 1 2016.

Apart from the 2018 narrow loss to the Swans, whenever Collingwood is playing the Swans in Sydney while in the eight, Collingwood win.

Even in 2005, when Collingwood finished second last and the Swans won the premiership, Collingwood only lost by a point.

No other side has a record anywhere near as good as Collingwood up in Sydney.

I’ll be munching on that $3.90 for a Collingwood win big time tomorrow.

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

It’s quite an extraordinary record. Only once has Collingwood been blown out of the water and that was round 1 2016.

Apart from the 2018 narrow loss to the Swans, whenever Collingwood is playing the Swans in Sydney while in the eight, Collingwood win.

Even in 2005, when Collingwood finished second last and the Swans won the premiership, Collingwood only lost by a point.

Wow didn't know it was that good, didn't Eddie want us to play our 11 away games up there? :D

Defabs

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wow didn't know it was that good, didn't Eddie want us to play our 11 away games up there? :D
I think Eddie wanted the Syd Coll game to be a standalone game during the bye round each year. He wanted it to be like SOO. It got 72k in round 21 2003, which was started the concept the year after. It started out as a stand-alone game for the first few seasons from 2004 but after the crowds peaked in 2007, it then lost that status.

Collingwood playing every week interstate I think had something to do with Carrara (Gold Coast I think?)

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
A Melbourne v Collingwood QF would be incredible. The most common GF match up, but due to our long marriage to obsolescence have only played each other twice in finals since 1964.
That would have been - ( and nearly was ) the biggest choke in GF history

That year you beat Coll in the 2nd semi by about 15 goals - they only kicked 2-3 goals for the game from memory

They didnt have official betting back then - but the Dees would have started about $1.05 favourites in the GF

And if it wasnt for an aarsey goal in the last minute by a Melb back pocket player - you would have got beat

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Eddie wanted the Syd Coll game to be a standalone game during the bye round each year. He wanted it to be like SOO. It got 72k in round 21 2003, which was started the concept the year after. It started out as a stand-alone game for the first few seasons from 2004 but after the crowds peaked in 2007, it then lost that status.

Collingwood playing every week interstate I think had something to do with Carrara (Gold Coast I think?)
Looked it up, it was 3 games in Sydney, being 2 v Sydney and 1 v North, plus guaranteed 18 games in Melbourne. Nice guy Eddie, so generous 👍

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

It’s quite an extraordinary record.
If that's true, it's simply remarkable given how strong Sydney has been for most of that time.

I knew they had a good record but not that good.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood

Whats Collingwood’s record at SCG vs Stadium Australia? I think our streak was due to playing at Stadium Australia.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Whats Collingwood’s record at SCG vs Stadium Australia? I think our streak was due to playing at Stadium Australia.
Since 2000:

ANZ Stadium
Played 13, won 10

SCG
Played 7, won 2

So, yeah. Thats really the only reason the success has been so good in Sydney.

beerbandit

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
If that's true, it's simply remarkable given how strong Sydney has been for most of that time.

I knew they had a good record but not that good.
I think you’ll find Collingwood probably have a winning record interstate against most of the sides, maybe not West Coast.

I could be off on this comment but it feels we win most interstate games, I’m sure someone will find out the stats.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
I think you’ll find Collingwood probably have a winning record interstate against most of the sides, maybe not West Coast.

I could be off on this comment but it feels we win most interstate games, I’m sure someone will find out the stats.
Collingwood have a positive win record interstate v
Adelaide 13-8
Gold Coast 5-2
Sydney 62-47

Negative record v
West Coast 4-16
Port 5-10
Brisbane 8-12
Freo 7-7
GWS 3-3

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood have a positive win record interstate v
Adelaide 13-8
Gold Coast 5-2
Sydney 62-47

Negative record v
West Coast 4-16
Port 5-10
Brisbane 8-12
Freo 7-7
GWS 3-3
Unbelievable to think we’ve only got a 20% winning percentage against the Eagles in WA that have included 2 finals out of those 4 wins.

Going by the above, they’ve got a 50% record against other sides interstate. 3 in the positive, 3 in the negative and 2 that are even.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Unbelievable to think we’ve only got a 20% winning percentage against the Eagles in WA that have included 2 finals out of those 4 wins.

Going by the above, they’ve got a 50% record against other sides interstate. 3 in the positive, 3 in the negative and 2 that are even.
Yeah but just take into consideration how long Collingwood have been around for and then taking on interstate teams that were just formed. Most old VIC teams have positive records interstate against Gold Coast, GWS, Sydney and Adelaide cuz most of them were poor when they were formed/moved.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah but just take into consideration how long Collingwood have been around for and then taking on interstate teams that were just formed. Most old VIC teams have positive records interstate against Gold Coast, GWS, Sydney and Adelaide cuz most of them were poor when they were formed/moved.
Adelaide went 6-3 and 7-3 at home in their first two seasons in the competition against other sides and the Sydney dominance is over a long stretch. Your point is only valid for the Suns. Even then, we only beat them once at Metricon in their first 4 seasons and this year they’ve gone 6-2 vs other sides at home and we beat them.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Adelaide went 6-3 and 7-3 at home in their first two seasons in the competition against other sides and the Sydney dominance is over a long stretch. Your point is only valid for the Suns. Even then, we only beat them once at Metricon in their first 4 seasons and this year they’ve gone 6-2 vs other sides at home and we beat them.
Perhaps, but back to the original point, the Collingwood dominance over Sydney in Sydney is invalid. Sydney hated playing out there, the fans hated going out there (the large crowd sizes were few and far between), and we couldn't wate to get rid of Mike Fitzpatrick off the board so we could tear that contract up.

If we are being real about it, Collingwood's record against Sydney in Sydney is poor.

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood

Those stats don’t include finals.
Pies have beaten WC in Perth 4 times during the H&A—1989, 1992, 2009 and 2019, as well as 2 finals (2007 and 2020).

Our away finals record isn’t too bad either.
West Coast 2-2
Adelaide 1-0
Port 1-0
Sydney 0-1

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps, but back to the original point, the Collingwood dominance over Sydney in Sydney is invalid. Sydney hated playing out there, the fans hated going out there (the large crowd sizes were few and far between), and we couldn't wate to get rid of Mike Fitzpatrick off the board so we could tear that contract up.

If we are being real about it, Collingwood's record against Sydney in Sydney is poor.
If we’re being real about it, Pies are ahead in NSW v Sydney by 15 wins and only 7 of those were at ANZ stadium. I think you’re just being a sore loser about it.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Those stats don’t include finals.
Pies have beaten WC in Perth 4 times during the H&A—1989, 1992, 2009 and 2019, as well as 2 finals (2007 and 2020).

Our away finals record isn’t too bad either.
West Coast 2-2
Adelaide 1-0
Port 1-0
Sydney 0-1
Ahh ok - I wasn’t aware. I don’t mind us playing finals away, we’ve historically done it well.

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood
ANZ had nothing to do with it, Collingwood routinely comfortably beat them in Melbourne too during that era (4-0, on the odd occasion we got to play them here).

In any case, it’s 4-2 to Sydney since going back to the SCG in 2015, with 4 of those games last-minute thrillers.

Defabs

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

i can think of 4 other wins to Collingwood.

1992, Lehmann kicks a point in the last 3 seconds to steal victory by a point

2009, convincing win at Subiaco to Collingwood by 22 points

2019, one point win to Collingwood. Collingwood restricted WC to 2 goals 1 behind after half time. Should have won by more but bad kicking stuffed us up.

I think pies won in 1989 too

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast

Yeah how the fudge have we not beaten them at the SCG since 1999. They're one of a few clubs to have a better h2h record against us, and we can't beat them there even when they're bad at home..

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
If we’re being real about it, Pies are ahead in NSW v Sydney by 15 wins and only 7 of those were at ANZ stadium. I think you’re just being a sore loser about it.
Sore loser? Please. We hated that ground. It wasn't our home ground and was never a true reflection of who we are and the game style that we played back then. I don't factor that in to this whole "Pies have the wood over Sydney in Sydney" record. Your record at the SCG is poor. Ours is good. We've been better at the SCG this year then the last 3 years. There's a reason why you're $3.90 or whatever it is for this game.

Back