Is the "Veale Deal" possible under contemporary rules?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Is it possible in 2017 to shunt a player off to a club which they have not chosen, by the players club of origin & in concert with other clubs, or is this a case of deliberately manipulating the trading process?

If so/not, could someone please explain the process or limits?

Last edited:

I have never read anywhere that Veale was against the trade. It was done because Rawlings wanted to be traded to North but hawks wanted him to get him to the Dogs because they were willing to give up a better pick. So they traded an unknown 2nds player for pick 6 and let Rawlings go in the PSD for the Bullies to pick him up for nothing. Couldnt happen now because he would be a DFA I think.

I have never read anywhere that Veale was against the trade. It was done because Rawlings wanted to be traded to North but hawks wanted him to get him to the Dogs because they were willing to give up a better pick. So they traded an unknown 2nds player for pick 6 and let Rawlings go in the PSD for the Bullies to pick him up for nothing. Couldnt happen now because he would be a DFA I think.
No, he wouldn't be a DFA unless his original club actually delisted him.

The answer to this question is yes, it is possible under current trading rules. However the AFL have to approve all trades and it is highly unlikely they would approve such a trade again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back