Is there a bigger moron in the AFL landscape than Mark Neeld?

Remove this Banner Ad

My point is that it’s easy to blame one guy ..... the coach!!

As has been posted already and documented by former coaches that if your team is winning the club is united, the board is united and the club is aligned, including players and coaches etc etc

But when the team is losing and losing badly ....... the coach is the fall guy. Even after our 2017 flag, many will tell you it’s the assistants, the president, the ceo the conditioning and ....... oh yes the coach.

When it goes belly up it’ll be ALL the coaches fault!!
Neeld wasn’t a fall guy - yhe first senior MFC figure to fall on their sword in 2013 was Schwab, and PJ specifically said that Neeld would be given the opportunity to coach the team, provided their performances were competitive.

Besides that Neeld attempted to make players the scapegoats for his failures. Case in point substituting Jack Watts in the 148 match, Tom Gillies was worse than him but Watts was subbed out and made a lightning rod for supporter discontent. So much for the ‘scapegoat’ argument.

Cam Bruce decided that he didn't want to play AFL football for Melbourne did he? Has he said that to you has he?

I don't disagree that in the end he said that he wanted to get out but only after he was told that for the development of young blokes he'd spend most of the year in the VFL....The people in charge of list decisions at Melbourne at that time cocked it up...BIG TIME

Clarkson moved on experience whilst there was still other experienced played still in the senior team and in the back of unprecedented success. Melbourne cut blokes because of their age and it backfired spectacularly
Melbourne offered him one year, he said no, Hawthorn offered him 2, he said yes.

Neeld wasn’t a fall guy - yhe first senior MFC figure to fall on their sword in 2013 was Schwab, and PJ specifically said that Neeld would be given the opportunity to coach the team, provided their performances were competitive.

Besides that Neeld attempted to make players the scapegoats for his failures. Case in point substituting Jack Watts in the 148 match, Tom Gillies was worse than him but Watts was subbed out and made a lightning rod for supporter discontent. So much for the ‘scapegoat’ argument.
If a coach makes players accountable ....... gee we have a problem!!

No! coach was part of the problem, let’s get real the joint was a basket case and I’m surprised he won any games in that environment!!

Kane Cornes deliberately throws out controversial s**t to bait morons that think he’s genuine. His whole media personality is based around trolling. The people who continuously get reeled in by Cornes are the real morons.

So pretty much the whole population of Crows fans.

To be fair he’s not working with much.
I would also like to nominate the melbourne fan base on big footy.
They have spent the last 12 years being one of the worst teams in the history of the world, but now that they have achieved 1/5 of bloody nothing they can't stop laying the boot in to non top 8 teams.

Worst supporters in the comp?

They have spent the last 12 years being one of the worst teams in the history of the world, but now that they have achieved 1/5 of bloody nothing they can't stop laying the boot in to non top 8 teams.

You mean like every single teams fans

It’s got nothing to do with who I support.

Your list is rubbish, you over achieved in prior years on the back of Joey and Roo.

This part made me laugh. The same supporter discontent and meltdown when Jack Watts was put up for trade last year?

Neeld might have been a bad coach, but there is nothing wrong with sticking a rocket up the a#se of an underperforming fan favourite, by substituting him. Roos tried the "kid gloves" approach with Watts, and that didn't work either. Goodwin finally had enough, and traded him for whatever we could get. The pick turned out to be Bailey Fritsch. I couldn't be happier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Failure followed him everywhere. With that imbecile and Connolly there it's no wonder it's been such a long haul for the club to drag themselves back up. Dumbfounded as to how they got and kept their jobs so long.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Boys club mentality, it took the AFL stepping in and making us take on Peter Jackson to change the culture

Melbournes biggest mistake wasn't appointing Neeld...it was getting rid of any player apart from Green that had any real experience at the level and just playing kids. How they thought getting rid of blokes like Cam Bruce, James MacDonald and many other and just playing a team of kids would lead to success is beyond me. It still shits me and I don't even barrack for them

Yes and no.

Melbourne didn't get rid of Bruce, he was poached by Hawthorn, in fact the club offered him a new contract and he waited until the end of the trade period before he told the club he was going to Hawthorn who picked him up for free. But the reality is that he did * all at Hawthorn, his career was done and dusted by then.

Junior MacDonald's time to go was also right, it was just handled very poorly. Bailey had admitted this afterwards, but once again his performances at GWS demonstrated that his career was over.

But there were a heap of other players they moved on which created the senior player void, that and the fact that their recruiting and developing for the previous 5-6 years was incredibly poor.

I've already stated this in this thread, it was a 'perfect storm' type of environment, every part of the club was dismal, it wasn't just Neeld.

I would think Melbourne supporters know better than most what a s**t list looks like mate., and you’re kidding if you think the saints don’t have one.

Interesting that the major gripes come from ex players who were rightly moved on when he arrived at Melbourne....

I think Neeld is way behind the Adelaide CEO who apparently didn't know about the "Collective Minds" camp, way behind Ross Lyon and way behind the AFL who thought the Gold Coast was a great place to put a footy team!

Couldn't agree more, absolute tosser of a bloke.. Smug demeanor, struts about like he had premiership/brownlow winning career.. Refuses to own up to his coaching stuff ups.. Blames players and other coaches.. On the couch when asked dodged the question and gave cemantic about failed essendon role.. Just glad he was never involved with my club, in any capacity.

Spent 30 minutes on Open Mike saying that:

1) Melbourne were on the right track and he was happy with their progress
2) He still felt he was doing a good job when sacked
3) The claims about his time at Essendon were crap and weren’t his fault.

Surely he never works for an AFL club again.
Yep. The dickheads who hired him to coach

I would think Melbourne supporters know better than most what a s**t list looks like mate., and you’re kidding if you think the saints don’t have one.
Get a grip mate.
I never mentioned the saints list.
But thanks for proving my point

Watched it in the early hours of yesterday morning. He was actually a lot more personable than I imagined.

Oh man, what an absolutely awful communicator.

Rambling, too many words, and waffling on seemingly for ages without actually saying anything or addressing the actual questions asked!

Sounded and looked like he was eating something whilst he was talking too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back