Is There a General Understanding?

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably falls into the 'silly question' category but................

Been reading about PSDs and Rookie Drafts for a while now and it seems as if players previously listed with a club (Houlihan, Ruffles, Bucovac (sp?) to name WA examples) are usually always re-rookied by the same Club rather than being poached by another. At least, at this stage, there doesn't seem to be any indication another club is going to 'poach'

While my examples are all from this year I suspect similar instances have occurred in the past.

Is my observation right?

If so, is there some unwritten gentleman's agreement that poaching is 'naughty'?

echelon

Debutant
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, you're correct.

Every club re-rookies players and the unwritten law is that clubs don't poach other club's players - they are naturally incentivised not to as it can come back to bite them!

DockerA

Team Captain
Mar 29, 2009
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Generally but this isnt always the case - Freo delisted Clayton Collard and Richmond picked him up with their first pick in the rookie draft a few years back

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably falls into the 'silly question' category but................

Been reading about PSDs and Rookie Drafts for a while now and it seems as if players previously listed with a club (Houlihan, Ruffles, Bucovaz (sp?) to name WA examples) are usually always re-rookied by the same Club rather than being poached by another. At least, at this stage, there doesn't seem to be any indication another club is going to 'poach'

While my examples are all from this year I suspect similar instances

Is my observation right?

If so, is there some unwritten gentleman's agreement that poaching is 'naughty'?
I don't know about Houlihan, but in the case of Ruffles & Bucovaz (did Melbourne do it with a ruck as well?), Polak @ Richmond, they're out for a 6-month/year injury.
That might be the disclaimer on a gentleman's agreement, that clubs will seek an understanding for guys with L.T.Is.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks to all who responded.

Trawling through my 'fading memory' I suspect the 'agreement' may come into play if a club indicates they will re-rookie someone.

If they don't, as per Bedford and Campbell case then it becomes open season. I also suspect the agreement is out of respect for the time and effort clubs have already put into the development of an individual.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
Mind you this article seems to suggest there is no gentleman's agreement.
I'm not certain we want to keep Neagle.
Reading between the lines; but if you didn't rate a guy, delisted him, but knew someone would take his contract off your books; would you talk him up or down?

I think we'll only take him back with our very last rookie pick, put it that way.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Mind you this article seems to suggest there is no gentleman's agreement.
I suggest that article is rubbish. I've seen the original comments by Sheedy - and he was pretty lukewarm on Neagle. Didn't rule him out, but not much else. Given that article doesn't refer to any new information from Essendon, Sheedy or GWS, I think its just your usual off-season fare.

Selective Retention

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jan 9, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
When clubs delist someone and then rookie them it is often due to said delisted player being contracted. That way it frees a spot up on the main list but a large percentage of the contract is absorbed via the rookie list instead of straight out paying the player out. If someone steps in and picks them up unexpectedly it would be a bonus for the club.

Then there are guys like Polak and Lonergan that other clubs aren't going to touch with a barge pole because of their injuries being such a huge risk.

s1bbald

All Australian
Jul 6, 2008
Wodonga
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
slapsgiving-salute1.jpg

General Understanding.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I don't know about Houlihan, but in the case of Ruffles & Bucovaz (did Melbourne do it with a ruck as well?), Polak @ Richmond, they're out for a 6-month/year injury.

Ruffles yeah, but Buca is fighting fit at the moment and has looked very sharp in preseason training so far.

He has had a lot of injuries in the last 2 years though so maybe that was one factor that put clubs off thinking of poaching him.

Ess_don

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2009
Sudden Valley
AFL Club
Essendon
Hahahaha, s1bbald! :D So unexpected..but brilliant!

Sorry nothing to add to the discussion, just had to give him credit for making me chuckle, erm... glad we picked up Neagle I guess?

Back