Is there a serial killer in the outback?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's interesting. The Barkly Hwy starts at Tennant Creek and goes through to Cloncurry and you can keep going on the Flinders Hwy to Townsville. I guess it's logical that most people coming into the NT from QLD (and especially Townsville) would do it by this route. I guess the question, if all or some of those are sinister, is why Tennant Creek? Do we have a serial killer(s) in Tennant Creek or do we maybe have a killer(s) stalking the Stuart Hwy and Tennant Creek is the best spot to pick up victims?

I guess when you think about it Tennant Creek would be a good option for a weirdo wanting to abduct people. Darwin's the capital, Alice Springs and Katherine are larger than Tennant Creek. Tennant Creek is smaller, less resourced from a police perspective, is at the junction of a major highway where tourists might be coming for the wet season and is surrounded by miles and miles of nothingness where you could dispose of evidence
That's a stop-off point on a trip from the coast before the final leg into Alice Springs. I camped overnight (on my own!) in the area when doing the same in 1984. I went Cairns - Karumba, Karumba - Mt Isa, Mt Isa - Tennant Creek (area), Tennant Creek - Alice. BTW, Quite often in remote areas people will use a town name because that's the nearest one or better known.

I am 100% with you on this I have been watching and reading about all this crap over the years. I honestly believe it has a lot to do with drug running from Adelaide to Darwin there is definitely something going on and nobody is doing anything about it

The NT has the highest car accident deaths per 100K population by a mile compared to other states / territories.

A stupidly hot and humid wet season, lots of poorly lit/signposted/maintained roads and lots of tourists equals a recipe for disaster. As discussed earlier suicide is another angle as well give.the sheer difficulty of living in the region from a weather, conditions, financial and access to health care type set ups.

I reckon there's a fair few linked to murders but not sure it's more than that

What we have been finding is a alarming amount of missing in the NT left Qld to drive to the NT, last seen around the Tennant Creek area and all with connections to Townsville Qld. Strange.
I had a terrifying experience in 2014 with a predator truck driver 40km East of Cloncurry. I was driving Townsville to Broome. My car had broken down, I was waiting for a tow truck on the side of the hwy. A triple tray truck parked up behind me and I was tormented by the driver for over an hour. I knew if the sun went down before the tow truck arrived that I would vanish never to be seen again! My car possibly too. This wasn't this guys first time. I've relived this over the years many many times, and there was a another guy in a flat tray LandCruiser who drive past at the very beginning slowly and then he came back again when I was getting loaded onto the tow truck...I've since had a nagging feeling that they may have been together. That ute drive up a long driveway not far up from where I'd broken down. I filed a police report. I'm one lucky girl, by the grace of God!!

I had a terrifying experience in 2014 with a predator truck driver 40km East of Cloncurry. I was driving Townsville to Broome. My car had broken down, I was waiting for a tow truck on the side of the hwy. A triple tray truck parked up behind me and I was tormented by the driver for over an hour. I knew if the sun went down before the tow truck arrived that I would vanish never to be seen again! My car possibly too. This wasn't this guys first time. I've relived this over the years many many times, and there was a another guy in a flat tray LandCruiser who drive past at the very beginning slowly and then he came back again when I was getting loaded onto the tow truck...I've since had a nagging feeling that they may have been together. That ute drive up a long driveway not far up from where I'd broken down. I filed a police report. I'm one lucky girl, by the grace of God!!

It can be quite dangerous out there particularly for women travelling alone and breakdowns can possibly make you an easy target. Mostly truck drivers and the locals know it though so it's possible one of them might have been concerned for your safety, it can be hard to tell at first if the person who stopped is hero or villain.

I learned driving in remote areas as a female, on the road side or at rest bays to give anybody slowing down to stop or moving towards my vehicle on foot, a thumbs up and yell out 'All good!' and wave them off before they get too close. I've used it a few times and so far, it's worked. If anyone continued after doing that a couple of times, I'd get a bit nervous I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back