Is there an unspoken rule of Grand Final attendance?

Remove this Banner Ad

I attended the Grand Final last sat, and aside from the result is was an excellent experience.
Naturally I was seated in a Giants area, and as is usual there were quite a number of children present.

View attachment 757719

One thing I didn't see before or after the match was a single junior Tiger supporter.

Melbourne fans- is it considered unwise to take your kids to the Grand Final? Or is it simply that the junior membership tickets obtained via ballot are given by the parents to other people? I had a good look at this image and can see about three or four kids out of maybe 500/1000 people.

Most Tiger fans know a loss can get ugly hence not many bring kids. Can you find the two Wally's with their sunglasses on their head?

If it's a choice between an adult who has waited decades and will truly appreciate witnessing a premiership, and a kid who might be a fanatical fan but simply can't fully appreciate it ... the ticket should go to the adult.
If it had been cats v giants I would have offered my sons ticket to my brother, a cats man.

Bloke gave my cousins uncle two free tickets. 14 and 10 I think are their ages. They went in alone.

In 2013, my then six year old was spooked by the idea of 100,000 people and the fact he would have to sit in the same seat for the whole game. So didn't bother with tickets for that one.

The deal was we'd watch one together on TV, then any subsequent ones I'd go regardless. Everything came up Milhouse.

Now at the age of 12, he'd go because he would a) appreciate it and b) sit through the whole thing.

My 6yo is the same but I've taken him to some big crowd games (last year's finals in particular). I just don't get it, when I was 6 I was a fanatic, went to almost every game that season including the old suburban grounds and finals. This was in 1988 and I woke up early on GF day expecting to go along with my old man. Was shattered when he told me he didn't have a ticket for me and I'd have to watch on TV. Of course it turned out it was a blessing in disguise...

Just wondering if there was 10 years notice for that one, seems a bit arbitary
I believe Richmond is unique that we use years of suffering to determine our teirs for the Ballot rather than the cost of the membership.

There are also Grand final guarantee memberships (and the corporate seats) for the Richie rich bandwagoners who weren't members in 2010...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I took my 9 year old son who loved the experience and concentrated and cheered all day. He got his ticket as a 10 year Richmond member (he was born a Tiger). Hopefully he remembers how generous his Dad was when he's an angry teenager.
Nope - he will find a way to twist it and try make you the bad guy about that as well

I took my boy this year (8), but that is because I made the choice to waitlist him on the 3121 membership in 2018. Which to my surprise he got just on 12 months later. He would would have been no good in 2017. But seeing how long I had to wait I thought the near future might be his only shot at that time. And it was not a cheap GF ticket even in tier 3 of the Ponsford but great day we will remember forever. Hope I get to see one with him when he 18+.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back