Prediction Is there any reason we can't be the 2019 premiers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like some people are still cannot accept we are going through a major rebuild and will be out of the top 8 for a couple more years to come.

New logo, new VFL team, old player clean out, new women's team, young guns in, marketing the new aggressive shinboner spirit, etc. This is all part of a greater plan that takes time to BUILD.

The quicker you accept this the less painful the next few years will be. Remember, it's a good thing!
Surely you can't be serious?

I'm sorry mate, you have been courteous, so it's not a personal dig, but that is rubbish.

I can't believe your club built up to this season as some kind of master plan, when your coach has spent several recent years declaring Richmond a contender when they clearly weren't, and produced no inkling of the playing style they produced this season.

2017 was a "perfect storm" for Richmond. There was no long range master plan. Tweaks were made at the end of last season and then everything just went right.
100% correct. A "perfect storm" where "everything went right" can not be disputed. Not taking that much away from them though, it's the nature of the comp at the moment where nearly anything is possible and that's probably a good thing. But make no mistake, they're no Hawthorn or Geelong of recent years.

Also 100% correct that Snake Baker pisses off the Tigers' board more than anybody. Love it.

100% correct. A "perfect storm" where "everything went right" can not be disputed. Not taking that much away from them though, it's the nature of the comp at the moment where nearly anything is possible and that's probably a good thing. But make no mistake, they're no Hawthorn or Geelong of recent years.

Also 100% correct that Snake Baker pisses off the Tigers' board more than anybody. Love it.

If you think anybody on the Tigers board is pissed off at Snake or any oppo supporter, you're kidding yourself!

We are the most contented supporters in the land right now, because we're the Reigning Premiers mate. :D

Everything that bloke you quoted said was spot on.

Any reasonable North supporter would understand that you are heavily rebuilding (which there's nothing wrong with btw, every club does it).
It was a reference to his name. Flyhigh as in flying high the movie. Now move along flog

If North Melbourne's 2014-2015 core was still together in its prime, then yes. The thing is, it isn't.

I really don't mean bad with this, but I really hope that North Melbourne don't rush for a Premiership like some of you think they can, because it probably won't work. North Melbourne need a foundation - a top tier. Richmond already

Richmond model is the way to go from now on. Need to bench mark. Need better recruiter.
You’re comments on all threads are just weird. Sorry. Not being personal.

Everyone will now follow the Richmond model. It’s called footy trends. The fact is premierships aren’t won on follow the leader, it’s about devising a model in accordance with your list and getting all players to 100% to the style, dedication and commitment. teams that are innovative and play a leading brand of football that no one else is playing tend to win premierships.

On Richmond’s recruiting well is it better than ours? They have many failures in fiery round picks and FA. Tambling? Yarran??

No one gets recruiting a 100% of the time. You need a bit of luck sometimes. Fyfe pick 21 for example.

I'm not sure where to begin with this to be completely honest.

I'll play devil's advocate though and give you all of your points... EVEN IF I was to concede that EVERYTHING you are saying is correct, and that these players were just destined to become premiership players without any input from Hardwick due to their elite status in their draft and early years, I have one question:

How does that equate to North repeating the efforts of Richmond in 2018, when you've barely had any Top 10 picks in the past 5-7 years due to consistent mid-table or finals appearances, and have less than a handful of these types of high end picks on your list?

FWIW I do NOT believe the content of this above post is accurate, however if it was, it's actually detrimental to your original point in the OP, because you're essentially saying that Richmond won the flag because of its' elite players that carried a bunch of plodders, not because of coaching or development.

North have exactly 1 elite player - Ben Brown, and he's not carrying you from 15th to a premiership by himself.

My follow up question is, what's wrong with having a few years down the bottom and doing a proper list build and development? EVERY club goes through it at some point, when it's your turn, it's your turn.
This is spot on I reckon. You did your time, massive kudos to the club for sticking with Hardwick during some very tough season's. The 'old Richmond' wouldn't have. Now you've been rewarded for that. I suspect we'll finish bottom 4 next season, would be thrilled with anything higher than that. I just hope our club are similarly patient during the tough times we face.

If you think anybody on the Tigers board is pissed off at Snake or any oppo supporter, you're kidding yourself!

We are the most contented supporters in the land right now, because we're the Reigning Premiers mate. :D
Not as content as you should be if you're mentioning North posters in every one of your threads.

This is spot on I reckon. You did your time, massive kudos to the club for sticking with Hardwick during some very tough season's. The 'old Richmond' wouldn't have. Now you've been rewarded for that. I suspect we'll finish bottom 4 next season, would be thrilled with anything higher than that. I just hope our club are similarly patient during the tough times we face.

Nobody likes their team in the Bottom 4, but when there's a clearly defined plan, and you see glimpses, it makes it far more bearable.

To be honest, as it's well documented by now, we did MORE than our fair share of time, and that's mainly because Richmond would continually do what blokes like Snake are suggesting North do, and that's try to pull off a miracle, unrealistic premiership from out of nowhere, without any foundation to it whatsoever.

If anything, present-day North can learn a few things from our time in the wasteland, and avoid making the same mistakes of the Tigers in the 80's, 90's, and 00's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as content as you should be if you're mentioning North posters in every one of your threads.

Its called sh1ts and giggles my friend. Nothing more.
Not everyone can like Richmond.
Some people hate Richmond.
Some people desperately want to see certain clubs fail.
Some do so publicly and with baffling vigour.
And when they do and this happens (RFC Premiers) well.....its the name of the game innit'?

Nobody likes their team in the Bottom 4, but when there's a clearly defined plan, and you see glimpses, it makes it far more bearable.

To be honest, as it's well documented by now, we did MORE than our fair share of time, and that's mainly because Richmond would continually do what blokes like Snake are suggesting North do, and that's try to pull off a miracle, unrealistic premiership from out of nowhere, without any foundation to it whatsoever.

If anything, present-day North can learn a few things from our time in the wasteland, and avoid making the same mistakes of the Tigers in the 80's, 90's, and 00's.

Good points and I think most wouldn't expect us pulling off a miracle. The closeness of the competition at the moment though should ensure that any top 8 side, at a minimum, could win. I think the increased financial parity amongst clubs (at least in the amounts able to be spent) and free agency is responsible for this.

Haha fair enough, not a member of this board so I don't know the in-jokes, sue me! :O :p

But what he said was right, yeah?
Not an in joke, just a quote from a movie.

Of course FlyHigh18 was right, we ditched 1000 games in experience, played a bunch of kids and made some really important off field strategic moves that long term should put us in a good place. I think we are virtually no chance of winning a flag next year. And I think that if we were to recruit and trade to put us in a position to "challenge" next year it could have a long term negative affect.

Hit the draft, take our medicine and finish low next year. Build a team that will win 5 flags, and not pinch 1 then really bottom out.

Anyway as you're not a member of this board you probably don't realise I'm kind of big deal around here, so don't quote me minnow

I don't believe we have the cattle to win the Grand Final.

You can say that Richmond didn't have the top end talent and carried a large number of players to the finish line, but they had Martin, who is a star, Rance, who is tremendously effective at what he does, and has the majority of the competition fooled into thinking they can't expose him one-on-one, and Cotchin, who tried very hard to kill himself for Richmond for the entirety of the finals series.

Martin dragged that football side across the line. We don't have anyone who is on the level of Martin. Tarrant is a good defender, but isn't as effective or as dangerous (?) as Rance is. We have midfielders who are the equal of Cotchin, but do they want it as bad as he has done for the past month?

If we had secured the services of Kelly I would be far more optimistic about 2018. If we had secured Martin, I'd be brimming with confidence. But as it stands, I struggle to name our most dynamic, game-changing midfielder, which I think you need to be competitive and challenging for a premiership.

Ziebell is a game-changer, but it's as a forward. Cunnington is an elite player, but not a line-breaker and a wrecking ball like Martin is. Dumont isn't a top-line player. Higgins is a star, and arguably an elite player, but not capable of carrying a midfield like Martin can.

Where does that elite, take-the-game-by-the-scruff-of-the-neck talent come from? McDonald? Atley? Not at this stage. Simpkin? Check back in two years. Ahern? A complete unknown. Macmillan? Not an explosive talent. Garner? I don't think so. Wood? A forward. Mountford? Zurhaar? Both babies.

We simply lack a genuine star midfielder. Nearly all the other pieces are in place. Our defence is dour, solid, intelligent and rebounds well. We have a star key forward and enough talent in the pockets and on the flanks to kick big scores if our midfield is firing. We have a good ruck division, which is arguably elite when its main component is firing.

We just do not have the absolutely unquestionably elite midfielder that makes good, challenging teams into great, damaging teams.
Rance is a mother******* gun.

without any foundation to it whatsoever.
Are you suggesting we are basically devoid of anything that would be required?

We have a core of players that have played a lot of footy together. A whole bunch between 100 - 150 games.

We played a shitload of kids this year surrounded by that core of senior players.

We will add higher end talent than we've been able to in a decade (we'll highest draft pick McDonald is just starting to show what he has.)

We've lined a a decent swag of talent for next year regardless of where we finish.

I expect finals in 2019.

I expect us to start the year off trying to win every game. We will. Likely fade given the kids in key spots.

I'd be incredibly surprised if we are as low next year as we were this year.

No, sorry. Can't do it.

It just feels so terribly backwards taking advice on how we should prepare for a premiership from Richmond supporters.

Seriously? RICHMOND??

Dear God.

What next?

Sports supplement advice from Essendon?

Dental hygiene tips from Collingwood supporters?

Bring on The Ashes, so we get on with forgetting this season ever happened.

To those of you thinking you can snag a flag in the next year, good luck. Before 16 the tigers had finished 5th, 8th and 5th. We won this year built on a solid foundation, with last year being the kick up the arse that dimma and the club needed to reassess our planning. A spectacular trade period - bringing in 3 key players - and a new philosophy around the club were the finishing touches.
Edit: plus a healthy dose of luck - every team needs it, and I'm not too proud to admit we may have got more than our fair share in terms of injuries.

For those of you who are content to see through a long term plan I think the Roos future could be bright. High draft picks this year and possibly next, capped off by trading in Kelly (why else did he insist on 2 only years) in conjunction with your existing list could see you primed for sustained success.

Personally I'd replace Scott too (don't really rate either of the brothers), but I was wrong about dimma so who knows.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
F me if we haven't had a wretched run of injuries in the last 18-24 months. That has been a major reason we ended up 15th this year. A lot of our young guys haven't really had pre-seasons either. If we get a clear run, as Richmond did this year, and some momentum through our VFL side, as Richmond did this year, then yes, I believe we can win the flag in 2018.

The competition is likely to be very even again next year. Remember we beat one of the GF sides by 10 goals when we were at our best. Do that more often, and during the right part of the season, then anything is possible.

Mate you're the one all over the shop.

The Kangaroos have just started a rebuild of their list, circa the end of 2016. Richmond's main list build you see today began all the way back in 2010. Riewoldt came in 2006 but hadn't done much prior to Hardwick coming in due to Richo still being the dominant forward, Rance was nothing special as a teenager, and Cotchin was classy but nothing like the player he currently is today prior to 2010.

Over the years between 2010-2017, it's been the same core group of Richmond players, week in and week out, growing and developing. Additions in the 2016 off-season helped heaps, as well as more recent drafting too (i.e Rioli and Graham to name a couple), however the core group has been along for the ride since the very beginning of Hardwick's tenure.

This cannot be said for the Kangaroos, your group is at the stage of where our club was at in 2010, you're in a heavy rebuilding phase at the moment.

Some reasonable points in there except it discredits the core of players drafted 2007-13 who have already had finals experience ie Ziebell, Cunnington, Brown, Turner, Tarrant, Atley, McDonald etc. Which would put the squad around the Richmond 2013 or 2014 mark if we're using your progression towards 2017 as a benchmark.

Some reasonable points in there except it discredits the core of players drafted 2007-13 who have already had finals experience ie Ziebell, Cunnington, Brown, Turner, Tarrant, Atley, McDonald etc. Which would put the squad around the Richmond 2013 or 2014 mark if we're using your progression towards 2017 as a benchmark.

One of the things we're missing is that clear game breaker, it's why we went after two.

F*** third party deals.

But I'm more disappointed in Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back