Prediction Is there any reason we can't be the 2019 premiers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintly_

All Australian
Aug 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
17 pages now on a topic that simply won't happen.

It's trolling if anything.

We are actively removing players to rebuild, prioritising young players, so to target later.

But carry on, bring Dom Tyson and Anthony Miles in and it's all fixed, lock in North :thumbsu:

G0ther00s

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
To be honest I've been pretty embarrassed about the standard of our competition the last two years. Guys like Fletcher Roberts, Kamdyn Mcintosh, Nathan Broad, Castagna, Joel Hamling and ZAYNE ******* CORDY to name a few, I would have never thought would be capable of playing in a premiership squad.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
17 pages now on a topic that simply won't happen.

It's trolling if anything.

We are actively removing players to rebuild, prioritising young players, so to target later.

But carry on, bring Dom Tyson and Anthony Miles in and it's all fixed, lock in North :thumbsu:

Bulldogs went the same route as us but snagged a flag as they were doing it

who knows what could happen

Bring in Neil Balme and Allister Clarkson and id be defiantly bookmarking this thread.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Speaking of Alistair Clarkson, did anyone else notice the interesting way Kennett talked about him when he resumed as President of the Hawks? I may have misunderstood him but he seemed to be saying that this will be Clarko's last contract at Hawthorn. 10 years is long enough according to Jeffrey.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Speaking of Alistair Clarkson, did anyone else notice the interesting way Kennett talked about him when he resumed as President of the Hawks? I may have misunderstood him but he seemed to be saying that this will be Clarko's last contract at Hawthorn. 10 years is long enough according to Jeffrey.
Particularly now with the Hawks rebuilding. Im so crap at spelling names. ALLISTER..

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rance is a mother******* gun.

Would take Rance in a heartbeat if we didn't have Tarrant, but I don't think he's solid enough that he's an outright superstar.

Didn't think FG was off the mark, say for example we had Taz instead of Rance, would he have made a significant difference to the outcome to our season? Certainly helps a defender when your midfield runs both ways and team spends a majority of the season up the point end.

I heard that too!
I thought to myself that the prodigal son would be a very welcome return.

Not that I have anything wrong in the current direction of Scotts.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I heard that too!
I thought to myself that the prodigal son would be a very welcome return.

Not that I have anything wrong in the current direction of Scotts.

Scotty could use an assistant, I guess we could offer him a role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Bulldogs went the same route as us but snagged a flag as they were doing it

who knows what could happen
Hey, let's pull no punches here, the Bulldogs have copied everything North Melbourne (they've never stood accused of 'Original Thinking'). They even went as far as to steal Ballarat from us.

North quite frankly have been at the leading edge of thinking since the early 1970's and have always been willing to step up and to step outside of what are considered the traditional boundaries of Australian Football.

Let's consider our firsts:
  • First team to build a 'Premiership winning team' by buying and importing the best from interstate (widely criticized at the time, but it became the model that other clubs have followed since)
  • The first team to fully embrace major corporate marketing (through it's 'North have Courage' campaign from 1976)
  • The first VFL team to play in Sydney (against Richmond (for record ... we did lose that game))
  • The first team to play night football
  • The first team to play Friday night football (nobody else wanted to know about it back then, but now everybody wants a Friday night game)
  • The first team to sell a home game interstate
  • The first team to adopt a VFL team (the Tassie Tigers) as part of the revamped VFL competition in 1996
  • The first team to look into expanding its brand in regional Victoria (historically neglected by the AFL (because the AFL were not interested in preaching to what they considered were 'the converted', yet the AFL failed to realise that country Victorians were defecting to soccer in mass in the early 2000's) even Geelong FC has long neglected everything outside of Geelong, it's as though nothing exists for them beyond the Fyansford gorge) through direct association with North Ballarat Roosters and establishment of a regional junior training programme.
  • The team that introduced the concept of the 'flood' under Pagan which completely changed the traditional field placements and how the game has been played since the early 90s
  • First team to list on the stock exchange (okay, that didn't work out, but hey! We had a go ... and if it had worked, every team would be doing it today. That's a fact!)
  • First team to reject gambling and gaming revenue.
And for the record, we are officially the fourth oldest established Australian Rules football club playing in the present day AFL (after Melbourne, Geelong and Carlton) ;)

We have a proud history of innovation and being brave enough to make the hard decisions which rabbles like Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond have never had to make. Even the Silvertails at Melbourne and Carlton have sailed through on their memories and top-end-of-town support. None of those clubs have any idea of what it is to struggle. Melbourne, is the oldest club and has the city's brand attached, of course they will never be spoken of in polite circles of 'disbandment', or of being 'exiled to Tasmania' or to Queensland (despite carrying higher debts, lower membership and haven't won a flag since 1964).

No, it is North Melbourne who will remain innovative and the most adaptable because we are always in the firing-line and sights of the AFL.

Last edited:

Black Saab

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
You have some doubts?

Then consider this:

Toby Nankervis - Premiership player
Kane Lambert - Premiership player
Bachar Houli - Premiership player
Jack Graham - Premiership player
Shane Edwards - Premiership player
Jacob Townsend - Premiership player
Dan Butler - Premiership player
Jason Castagna - Premiership player
Nathan Broad - Premiership player
Kamdyn McIntosh - Premiership player
Dylan Grimes - Premiership player
Shaun Grigg- Premiership player (late edit)
This X 1000000000

I'm sorry Snaker, just as your Premiership window was slamming shut the Tiges leapt through at the last second and took out the flag.

But, you're right, your side is heaps of miles better than every side ever in history... Just as it is.

Jul 23, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would take Rance in a heartbeat if we didn't have Tarrant, but I don't think he's solid enough that he's an outright superstar.

Didn't think FG was off the mark, say for example we had Taz instead of Rance, would he have made a significant difference to the outcome to our season? Certainly helps a defender when your midfield runs both ways and team spends a majority of the season up the point end.
Rance is significantly better than Tarrant.

He's the best KPB in the competition and has been for a while now.

Not only does he stop opposition goals (including helping out his teammates) but Richmond utilise him through many of their attacking forays through their defense.

Here we have a FB that influences a game of football so much that the opposition team quite often have a plan solely to curb his direct influence.

Like I said, Rance is a mother******* gun.

Saintly_

All Australian
Aug 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah instead of hypothesising how we could be successful, we should all just debate why Brad shouldn't be coach. Because that's fun.

Far more relevant topic than the rubbish served up in the OP.
North premiers in 2018 with Scott and a s**t midfield.
Yeah enjoy discussing.........

Far more relevant topic than the rubbish served up in the OP.
North premiers in 2018 with Scott and a s**t midfield.
Yeah enjoy discussing.........
You of course understand that it is within your ability to look at a thread think its crap and not post in it s**t canning the people posting in it yeah?

Anyone would think that the actual reason you posted in here was to garner a negative response from those already posting in here.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I suppose that it comes back to the original question:

'Is there any reason we can't be the 2018 Premiers?' Some say 'yes' and provide their reasons, while others believe that there is no reason why we can't do that. It's only discussion and speculation on our part.

Rance is significantly better than Tarrant.

He's the best KPB in the competition and has been for a while now.

Not only does he stop opposition goals (including helping out his teammates) but Richmond utilise him through many of their attacking forays through their defense.

Here we have a FB that influences a game of football so much that the opposition team quite often have a plan solely to curb his direct influence.

Like I said, Rance is a mother******* gun.

I know stats aren't the be all and end all but these are based on 2017 averages, and again, decent effort for a bloke that not only didn't have his best year in a bottom 4 team, but is the only true solid KPD we have, vs a bloke that played in a flag. Ball obviously came down a bit more for Taz, but stats for mine don't give a strong enough indication that Rance is that much better.
Better that Tarrant? Yeah probably. Significantly better? Nope.

Alex Rance - Robbie Tarrant

Games 21
9.2 Kicks Per Game 10.9
6.8 Handballs Per Game 6.9
16.0 Disposals Per Game 17.8
5.2 Marks Per Game 6.2
0 Goals Per Game 0
0 Behinds Per Game 0
2.4 Tackles Per Game 2.6
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
0.8 Inside 50s Per Game 2.1
0 Goal Assists Per Game 0.1
Frees For Per Game 1.1
1.1 Frees Against Per Game 1.4
Contested Possessions Per Game 5.7
9.4 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 11.9
12.7 Effective Disposals Per Game 14.7
79.4% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 82.6%
2.4 Clangers Per Game 2.9
Contested Marks Per Game 1.0
0 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0
0.2 Clearances Per Game 0.2
3.9 Rebound 50s Per Game 4.3
One Percenters Per Game 4.0
0.1 Bounces Per Game 0.1
97.2 Time On Ground % Per Game 92.1
0 Centre Clearances Per Game 0
0.2 Stoppage Clearances Per Game 0.2
2.5 Score Involvements Per Game 3.0
270.6 Metres Gained Per Game 316.5
2.4 Turnovers Per Game 2.9
Intercepts Per Game 6.8
0 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0
$372,000 AFL Fantasy Price $401,000
65.2 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game 72.8
$439,400
Supercoach Price $381,100
89.2 Supercoach Score Per Game 79.2​

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Rance is better with the ball on the deck, but Taz shades him in the air.

Rances ability to get to other contests is the major difference, whereas Taz is more of a lock down defender. This is highlighted in the !% differential.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Given that we have just delisted a second player that was considered best 22 all season the club clearly doesn't think that we have any chance of "being 2018 premiers". WE have zero chance of winning the flag! Seems like the club is starting to tank already!

There appears to be a strategy in place than none of us saw coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back