Is there room for a "slow" wallis?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 24, 2008
Athens, Greece
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After the game looking at the midfield options which we are developing it seems to me that today Wallis may have been a hiderance rather than an asset. He seems to have hit a wall lately running up and down on the same spot. He is 3 preseasons in.

My concern is - Is there some other role he can play rather than be a out and out inside mid with glacial speed?

I think Wallis will be more important once Cross & Boyd retire with his leadership and ferocious attack of the ball; has just hit bit of a form slump and frankly, needs to get more games to build his experience

Would there be room for a slow Sam Mitchell? I see Wallis developing into that type of player.

Would there be room for a slow Sam Mitchell? I see Wallis developing into that type of player.
Doesn't have Mitchell's vision im afraid. I see him as a genuine worker. A cog in an 8/10 man midfield rotation. An Andrew swallow or Scott selwood is what he needs to shoot for

When Boyd/Cross are gone Mitch will be one of our most important players.

Unlike you to pull a negative from a positive.

Speed is an overrated skill. Sure, it's great rebounding, on a lead, etc etc. But if you get the ball first, the pro-activity of the play makes you look faster. Wallis IS best 22. Plain & simple. Speed is only an asset when you can utilise it. Kicking efficiency needs to be spot on if you are a speed reliant team. Remember the Wallace days, when the football world was agog with our "style". We weren't blistering pace then, we just looked quicker due to very skilled ball movement. A side full of Jettas will look slow if they can't get the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he'll be an improvement on Matty Boyd. His disposal will be better, he's a very good tackler and when he gets his chance he'll show a lot more of his inside skills. He's a better player than what we've seen

I agree. He looks a touch heavy. Listed at 184/90kg on bulldogs website.
Hes definitely big bodied which isn't good for the role he is being asked to play now but when he gets to play a true in and under role, which is his true position, his size will be very important!

I believe he is in trouble as he is slower than most on our list.
Speed in more and more important, the game has moved on again. Slow players aren't highlight when they have the ball as much its when they dont have the ball they get exposed. In todays footy if you can't keep up with your opponent your already beaten.
He will get more time once Boyd and Cross are gone yet in my view you can only afford 1 player at Wally pace maybe two at most. He is a goer and will get better yet I feel other will move ahead on him. In my opinion as the game develops you want play AFL unless you can be a certain speed over a certain distance.

Speed in more and more important, the game has moved on again. Slow players aren't highlight when they have the ball as much its when they dont have the ball they get exposed. In todays footy if you can't keep up with your opponent your already beaten.
He will get more time once Boyd and Cross are gone yet in my view you can only afford 1 player at Wally pace maybe two at most. He is a goer and will get better yet I feel other will move ahead on him. In my opinion as the game develops you want play AFL unless you can be a certain speed over a certain distance.

Exactly what I was trying to imply with the thred - im not saying hes not a good or needed member of the list - im just saying, is his speed going to be his achillies heel like Boyd ? Wouldn't you prefer someone who can do that and cover space quickly when we defend? Because he was dropped not on DT points but on his loose defending and covering of space which if u watch the last month was letting the team structure down.

just a worry

Agreed. In addition, he is not really good at anything. Won't win a place in the side now ahead of Boyd, Libba, Stevens, Smith and The Rat.

Looks like another wasted first round draft pick.

This is still only his third year. You'd think he has a spot as an inside midfielder, definitely when Boyd retires, and had a great year last year. Don't write him off yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back