Society & Culture Is there room for haka at AFL matches?

Eshay187

Premium Platinum
Apr 26, 2012
Grill
AFL Club
Sydney
How many more indigenous weeks, welcome to countries, smoking ceremonies etc will it take to reach the threshold of "embrace"?

Probably about 20 years of life expectancy and a 50% pay gap’s more.

Pull your head in.

But also, I don’t understand this thread at all. No, each club should not have a traditional Maori dance, that should be obvious?

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haka at sporting events is bullsh@%.

One team gets to psyche themselves up and threaten to remove the heads of the other team, even if it is the other teams home game, and the other team has to accept their right to do it or else they will be labelled insensitive.
100% this.

It is a complete joke.

I like Kiwis, in fact I think they are generally nicer than Aussies, but * the Haka at sporting events and * any idiot who supports it.

Should be a level playing field.

That's the same attitude that had Dusty's Dad deported.

If you don't like Maori.

Don't be a Dusty fan.

Whoa bro, whoa, i wis jist gitting a bir from my chillybin bro......no need to melt mate. And you’re correct in your assumption. I was being very cheeky. We should have an 80’s style rap off instead. Complete with cardboard bases. I think the game needs it.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

See this is the s**t. Before a game, just imagine - Treloar, DeGoey, Sidebottom and Elliott v MacIntosh, Ellis, Martin and Rance in the middle of the G. I wouldn’t even bother with the game after this.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Whoa bro, whoa, i wis jist gitting a bir from my chillybin bro......no need to melt mate. And you’re correct in your assumption. I was being very cheeky. We should have an 80’s style rap off instead. Complete with cardboard bases. I think the game needs it.

May the best B Boy win.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
We've seen some notable haka in recent years in footy - for the likes of Moana Hope and Dustin Martin and so on...

Australian Maori have a long heritage in this country.

Will we see their cultural influence continue to grow as the broader Australian fan base hungers for more than just hokey, jingoistic 'club songs' for their identity?

It would take some brave clubs with Maori players to be the first to introduce their own haka...

But once introduced, I'm sure all clubs would follow suit.

Australia, like New Zealand, has a long Maori cultural history. Haka would bring vibrance, entertainment and uniqueness to the AFL.

So you are advocating the introduction of a traditional NZ war dance prior to AUSTRALIAN football matches ??

Which part of your limited brain did you use to come up with this incredibly forward thinking idea ?? :rolleyes:

Sometimes I really wonder what the future of our country is going to be like when I read absolute s**t like that posted by the next generation coming through.

Ffs we need a scandal. Something. Anything.
Come on journos lurking here. Find something. Anything.
Hell, even rerun some ben cousins, daniel chick stuff.
Anything

Sources tell me Jordon DeGoey has been involved in an illegal utensil fighting ring based in Wantirna. Tom Browne (just in case you’re reading...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
100% this.

It is a complete joke.

I like Kiwis, in fact I think they are generally nicer than Aussies, but **** the Haka at sporting events and **** any idiot who supports it.

Should be a level playing field.

If they did it at their own home games it makes sense but the fact they think they have the right to dictate the pre-game ritual at another team's home game is such an entitled wanky baby attitude.
What if the French want to sing a rousing French song instead or the Scots want to let out a blood curdling Celtic war cry? Nope the away team insist that you have to stand there and let them threaten you at your home game with no right of reply.

And yes I am aware they are by far the best Union team in the world.

Back