Society & Culture Is there room for haka at AFL matches?

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess you were one of those blowhards lambasting the Turkish team at the time. The Haka is obviously meant to he a show of force, be intimidating, yet opposing teams have to just stand there and take it because 'culture/respect/blabla' Absolutely ridiculous
Nah, I couldn't care less about rugby so got no idea what you're talking bout in terms of turkey.. I would prefer the Aussies stood eye to eye with them however and show they aren't intimidated. If that's not your issue with it but your argument is you think it's unfair they are allowed to perform it while teams have to stand there, in sure other teams are allowed the same privilidge of doing a dance if they wanted?

Nah, I couldn't care less about rugby so got no idea what you're talking bout in terms of turkey.. I would prefer the Aussies stood eye to eye with them however and show they aren't intimidated. If that's not your issue with it but your argument is you think it's unfair they are allowed to perform it while teams have to stand there, in sure other teams are allowed the same privilidge of doing a dance if they wanted?

Yeah.

Slight tangent but one thing AFL indigenous round does right is not falling into the trap of treating all indigenous people and indigenous culture as the same.

Something like the Wagyl which is relevant in Nyoongar culture really means * all to someone from Victoria or Queensland, indigenous or otherwise. It's good that the clubs design indigenous jumpers based on different indigenous cultures, even if it is mostly just for commercial gain and PR value.

Slight tangent but one thing AFL indigenous round does right is not falling into the trap of treating all indigenous people and indigenous culture as the same.

Something like the Wagyl which is relevant in Nyoongar culture really means **** all to someone from Victoria or Queensland, indigenous or otherwise. It's good that the clubs design indigenous jumpers based on different indigenous cultures, even if it is mostly just for commercial gain and PR value.

That all seems a little too disparate and desperate.

I don't understand why its expected that teams just stand there and watch it.

Many rugby union fans are w***ers. Don't boo at all and stay silent when the other team kicks at goal (in Europe 'we're superior to soccer hur hur' is part of this). Haka once every year or two is theatre for them.

Most years we play NZ 3 times. WC years twice, some years 4 times. It's only us, South Africa and now Argentina that play them on a yearly basis. France have played them the most times out of anyone other than Aus/RSA for 61 tests in over 100 years. Since 2000 for example NZ have played in France 10 times, so a pre game haka is a novelty. If it was a Premier League or Ligue 1 side that did it 40 times a year I'm sure it would get old pretty quickly. I'm of the opinion that NZ as the away side don't have some god given right to perform it.

I think respect for the haka is a bit of a furphy. We mocked it in a TV commercial with the players doing the haka having superimposed handbags on their shoulders. But that was in the early 2000s when we were still good at rugby. Now everyone is s**t scared of NZ flogging them by 50 instead of just beating them by 20 so is super polite.

Best response to the haka was Campo in the 91 World Cup semi, he went to the in goal area and practiced his kicking.

Then he did this about 15 minutes later.

Man was a genius.

The best response to a haka is a haka in return.

Although goose-steps may come close.

Be better with Australian culture, how about the long heritage of Sharpie culture...Don't believe this existed any other country oi oi....

Whats even more tragic still, is that was the 'in' style of clothing apparel in the neighbourhood I grew up in the 70's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would work best in the AFL if both teams had a haka they could perform.

That wouldn't be too hard.. surely clubs could come up with one in consultation with local Australian Maori.

When I went to school no haka was ever performed prior to the rugby without a responding haka from the opponents.

It's been that way for as long as I remember... if it works well for my high school TBHS... no reason why it couldn't work for the AFL...

This is what I'm thinking. A haka is such a cultural thing for the maori. Doing it before AFL matches is just cultural appropriation.

Good point.

Though Maori are very happy to share their culture.

Nothing wrong with a bunch of Pakeha doing the haka if it promotes Māoritanga and Te Reo.

Good point.

Though Maori are very happy to share their culture.

Nothing wrong with a bunch of Pakeha doing the haka if it promotes Māoritanga and Te Reo.
It's nothing to do with sharing culture. It's just innappropriate given the small amount of maori players that have ever played our game. If we're going to include a Haka, then we should be including something from every culture, like an aboriginal war dance, a Russian cossack dance, and set a bunch of flares off in the crowd to represent the English.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back