Is there still a chance?

Fitzroy44

Debutant
Jun 25, 2008
Fitzroy
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Is there still a chance that GCFC might not go ahead? i know theres alot of support for it, but theres a fair bit against down here in melbourne

Aug 16, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jack Darling
Not really, no

GC has satisfied every requirement that the AFL has put forward.

The AFL and the GC team re-convene next week and the AFL will approve the necessary paperwork, and a 17th (or is it 18th?) licence will be granted.

I dont have a source, however it will be on the www.gc17.com.au website I believe.

Fitzroy44

Debutant
Jun 25, 2008
Fitzroy
Other Teams
Fitzroy
true, cant wait for the day Gold coast walks off the feild for the last time. just leave the comp as it is. havent you done enough Ross oakly/ Andrew demetriou. the VFL/AFL was fine til ross came in with his "merger's" and "expantions"

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
true, cant wait for the day Gold coast walks off the feild for the last time. just leave the comp as it is. havent you done enough Ross oakly/ Andrew demetriou. the VFL/AFL was fine til ross came in with his "merger's" and "expantions"

Hahaha

god you trolls are pathetic, stop living in the past Fitzroy is gone and so will two other Victorian clubs long before the GC.
the VFL was flat broke before expansion saved whats left, take the glasses off mate.

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hahaha

god you trolls are pathetic, stop living in the past Fitzroy is gone and so will two other Victorian clubs long before the GC.
the VFL was flat broke before expansion saved whats left, take the glasses off mate.

Would prefer that Adelaide folded before any of the 10 Victorian teams.

Seriously, that attitude is what is pathetic. Just hack away at over 100 years of tradition, don't worry, that's fine, the competition only really started in 1987 when WCE/BB came in.

:rolleyes: Disrepectful.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Seriously, that attitude is what is pathetic. Just hack away at over 100 years of tradition, don't worry, that's fine, the competition only really started in 1987 when WCE/BB came in.

who is hacking at tradition mate - i'm making a point that is widely known that some people try to avoid when bagging non Victorian teams.

It is also fairly clear that 10 teams ain't going to last in suburban Victoria, I realise ignorance is bliss, but as soon as people start to realise things need to change the better they are all going to be. I hope the 2 clubs don't fold and get to move into other areas but it is inevitable.Because in the end there is going to be know where left to expand to enable the propping up of un viable clubs. I reckon the best thing could and probably will some time down the track be a 2nd tier league which teams could fall to.

The competition as a national enterprise only really started in 1987, it was a Melbourne suburban based comp before that, admittedly the strongest in the country but still a Vic comp. History is all well and good, but it has its limits, you wouldn't keep a team going purely on the basis of their history. I would shed very few tears if a couple of Vic based teams found themselves back in the VFL, however if GCFC doesn't go ahead then it would be a disaster.

Without the expansion, without the Crows, Eagles et al, Rugby League would the undisputed number one code in the land. Would you really prefer that?

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's not that I would prefer not to have the current interstate clubs (new teams like the Gold Coast and West Sydney can just go get, IMO), but the fact that some people are completely disrespectful to clubs with a 100-year plus history. That is completely wrong.

Can see the arguments for new teams, and I'm not really one who enjoys change too much, but the fact that many people activley go around spruiking for new sides and calling for the end of Victorian ones (not anyone in particular) is something I don't get, at all.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
It's not that I would prefer not to have the current interstate clubs (new teams like the Gold Coast and West Sydney can just go get, IMO), but the fact that some people are completely disrespectful to clubs with a 100-year plus history. That is completely wrong.

Can see the arguments for new teams, and I'm not really one who enjoys change too much, but the fact that many people activley go around spruiking for new sides and calling for the end of Victorian ones (not anyone in particular) is something I don't get, at all.

well lets face it, everyone has their opinion - the rest of us have to put of with Victorians dis-respecting our entire states football history, so hey deal with it, like we have to.

whelan=legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Melbourne Demons - Ricky Petterd 2011 Player Sponsor
Sep 9, 2006
Best Young Side Land
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
If GCFC coming in means a Vic club goes belly up I will shed very few tears about it. Very few.
Is that because when Benny went to rehab and Chris Judd wanted to leave, Victorians looked generally like this:

pdv100021.jpg

Is that because when Benny went to rehab and Chris Judd wanted to leave, Victorians looked generally like this:

pdv100021.jpg

Unless 2 fall over within a few years of each other, I can't see you getting your wish

Remember the last time we had a bye?

No, I didn't say I wanted it to happen, I just said that I don't care if it does. As for the first quote, well if that makes you happy then good for you. And West Sydney will even up the numbers so we won't need a bye at all.

Back