Is there such a rule as 'dangerous'

Mattman93

high ceiling
Jun 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
It was a ludicrous free kick. Gibbons created it entirely by jumping into Barrass and the umpire made up a rule on the spot.

Funny that we've come to expect something like that every game though. Can you imagine an umpire paying a free kick for the violation of no rule in particular in any other sport?

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
I couldn't find it in the rule book. It wasn't a tackle and that is the only rule with dangerous in it. Made it up on the spot. I also didn't like that Carlton players were tossing it like it was NRL and Eagles were pinged instantly with no prior.

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
17.7 ROUGH CONDUCT
17.7.1 Spirit and Intention Players shall be protected from unreasonable conduct from an opposition Player which is likely to cause injury.
17.7.2 Free Kicks - Rough Conduct A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player engages in rough conduct against an opposition Player which in the circumstances is unreasonable, which includes but is not limited to:
(a) executing a dangerous tackle on an opposition Player;

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
17.7 ROUGH CONDUCT
17.7.1 Spirit and Intention Players shall be protected from unreasonable conduct from an opposition Player which is likely to cause injury.
17.7.2 Free Kicks - Rough Conduct A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player when that Player engages in rough conduct against an opposition Player which in the circumstances is unreasonable, which includes but is not limited to:
(a) executing a dangerous tackle on an opposition Player;
Seems very vague you could say many actions are dangerous

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I'm all for paying a free kick against someone for doing something dangerous to an opposition player but not when a player puts himself in a vulnerable/dangerous position via his own actions. Barrass did nothing but stand his ground.
Absolute tool decision.
How about maybe paying free's that are there, you know like when players THROW the ball or something.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx

It's an interesting one. Take out the legs only and it's classic tunnelling.
This is one you don't see much and I can see both sides of the argument here.

Last edited:

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Puts a hip and shoulder on a bloke as he receives a handball. Just because Gibbons jumps at the last second, does not make it a free kick. Gibbons put himself in that position, just like a player leading with his head endangers himself. It was an incorrect call.
Could also argue Gibbons left the ground and contacted Barrass high. Equally that would be an incorrect call.
Whatever the call, it would have been nice for the umpire to have actually refered to an actual rule, of which "Dangerous" is not one.

I guess it’s similar to tunnelling? Where a player in the air has no way to protect themselves

Was my interpretation of it. Dangerous was the wrong thing to call it but it looked like Barrass tunneled him.

Back