Is this 2016 all over again?

Mattie2016

Senior List
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter #26
Lol I wish. But 2016 felt different to this season. Our first 4 wins in 2016 were big wins and we hit the scoreboard hard. Whilst this year I am liking how we are going about it (except one game) - we just don’t look as brutal in attack as we did in 2016. This week is the real test and that’s no offence to Richmond or Brisbane.
Both Richmond and Brisbane top 4. Geelong no different. We will take down three big scalps in a row and then let's see how minds switch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

brmi

All Australian
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
OP may be onto something. I’ve had many mixed emotions during the course of this season but something felt right after that win on Saturday. The heights of 2016 maybe, maybe not, but could be the start of a great period for the club again.

Yojimbo

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is this 2016 all over again, maybe in there is a genuine opportunity to win it from well back like
we did in 2016. Teams have appeared dominant this season only to be unravelled a matter of
weeks later, I don't think I can remember injuries being as prevalent as they have been lately.
How can Richmond beat Fremantle and be the same side we decimated the week before, I can
smell what someone is cooking, but I have no idea who is cooking it week to week.

Yojimbo

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just imagine for a second that we go down to Geelong and beat the Cats...
North Melbourne made Geelong look stupid by shifting their defence until it cracked, North Melbourne did
not have the skills to maintain the system for four quarters, but it worked. In other words don't do what
they want, don't bomb it. Plan A: Share, Shift, Switch and Create. Also MUST control the guts and
limit the tongue.

AFDogs

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We've lost at home to Carlton and Gold Coast. The 2016 Bulldogs would not have let that happened.

We have a tough run from here on out and we haven't capitalised on beating some weaker teams. We won't play finals, but we are a lot better than last year which is already a positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ExRoyboy

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
We've lost at home to Carlton and Gold Coast. The 2016 Bulldogs would not have let that happened.

We have a tough run from here on out and we haven't capitalised on beating some weaker teams. We won't play finals, but we are a lot better than last year which is already a positive.
I agree with this. We are on the right path and hopefully this time it will be more sustained success than in 2016, but this does not have a similar ring to it in my view. We have a number of traditionally difficult away games for Bulldogs teams including Geelong this week, then West Coast in Perth and Port in Adelaide along with GWS at home towards the end. We also have difficult home games. We should never have dropped those two easy home games to Carlton and Gold Coast and if we hadn’t then I would say we would be on track for making the finals but still not top 4. We will be on the cusp but I think we will fall short, but over the next few years we should be right back up there, but we absolutely must rid ourselves of our goal kicking inaccuracies. It has definitely cost us games this season and you can see what it did to Brisbane on the weekend when they got our disease and we kicked relatively straight in the first half.

We create more than enough opportunities with our midfield and our pressure. We now have a good young key forward. He needs more support and that should remain a priority but please get someone in to show them how to kick set shot goals. If we don’t do this then we will suffer the same fate as in the past and blow our chance with this list.

Top Bottom