Is this 2016 all over again?

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is a familiar ring to this season. The ever-calm relaxed coach, waxing lyrical as his band of young stars rise to the challenge, while the footy world watches with curious scepticism.

In 2016, the stars aligned despite an horrendous injury record, that saw Murphy, Crameri, Wallis and Redpath unavailable for for the Premiership, while Johannisen, Boyd and Wood headlined a reveloving door of other stars who were missing in action for large stages of that campaign. Despite that, we managed to BE THERE, in the Top 8 for September, where unspeakable magic dust was sprinkled to deliver the ultimate glory.

Is it happening again? There is that Willy Wonka-like twinkle in Bevo's eye again and I have a composed confidence that things are unfolding mystically again. This time, the footy gods are not decimating our list with injuries, and we have a dearth or options, after 1/3 of the season has expired.

With Schache, Dickson and Boyd currently in the VFL, what might be possible if they all hit their straps at the same time? With Naughton, Gowers and Llyod currently the three preferred forwards, I can't help but think what might happen if all six are hulking opposition in the lead up to finals.

Our mids are currently ranked #1 or in the top #3 for all of the following main indicators: Total Possessions, Inside 50's, Clearances, Metres Gained, Contested Possessions. Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Dunkley, Wallis, McLean and Hunter are pure class, while Jong looms as the speed demon who may add the cherry on top to this fleet of champs.

Our defence is formidable, with Wood and Cordy being ably supported by Trengove and now Roberts down the spine, while Morris will be returning to continue his Terminator-like career, as the back end of the season kicks in. Our run out of defence is probably our greatest unhearalded weapon, with Daniel, Johannisen, Crozier, Suckling, Richards and Smith rebounding with pace and class, and frequency.

Add English, the ruckman who is on a a Scotty Wynd-like trajectory, and a host of youngsters (Williams, Lipinski, Smith, Lynch, Young, Hayes) who are either getting game time or barking at the door.

Bevo looks set to orchestrate another wink from the universe, just don't say I didn't warn you...

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love ya positivity but 2 wins after 4 losses - one to Carlton - is a bit early to be pushing 2016 revisited. Yesterday was a good win but others were not against the versions of the teams that won premierships - worst Richmond team on paper for years and Swans/Hawks form since not great. Would have waited til after Geelong game to see if this was worth the effort.

I’m more thinking 2005-6 with an acceleration to 2015-16 next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Which forwards do you think are not capable?

Gowers not playing to Stringer 2016 level. Lloyd hasn’t scored like Dickson yet. There’s no Clay Smith or Picken substitute. Naughts is a clear upgrade on Cordy but Trengove is no GF Boyd.

Too early to say if current crop are 2016 finals capable yet. Last two games have been promising but ordinary in 4 losses.

Midfield literally the same, Crozier an upgrade on Biggs, Cordy break even on Hamling 2016 version but no Boyd replacement yet. Jury still out on Dale coming back to make the winning tackle this year.

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Love ya positivity but 2 wins after 4 losses - one to Carlton - is a bit early to be pushing 2016 revisited. Yesterday was a good win but others were not against the versions of the teams that won premierships - worst Richmond team on paper for years and Swans/Hawks form since not great. Would have waited til after Geelong game to see if this was worth the effort.

I’m more thinking 2005-6 with an acceleration to 2015-16 next year.

Gowers not playing to Stringer 2016 level. Lloyd hasn’t scored like Dickson yet. There’s no Clay Smith or Picken substitute. Naughts is a clear upgrade on Cordy but Trengove is no GF Boyd.

Too early to say if current crop are 2016 finals capable yet. Last two games have been promising but ordinary in 4 losses.

Midfield literally the same, Crozier an upgrade on Biggs, Cordy break even on Hamling 2016 version but no Boyd replacement yet. Jury still out on Dale coming back to make the winning tackle this year.

Glass half empty.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Yeah not even close, in 2016 we were imperious against opposition which was weak during the season. Not the case this year.

Will be lucky to make the 8. I personally doubt we will.

SirBont

All Australian
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We won't make finals this year but Boy Oh Boy we have some exciting youth to watch over the next few years. YeeEeeeeEeeeWwwwwTtttttHhhhhhhh
bit early to tell mate with Essendon and stuff and Melbourne even port and adelaide can be pretenders at time

We can only dream. I'd never knock back a flag mind you, but I'd like this team to have to strive so that when they get there they will wish to remain. And let it be sooner- that way the relief/excitement/jubilance won't interfere with the mindset.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apparently we have the hardest run home of any team. It would be nice to think about but I highly doubt it mate. It’s a nice dream you’re having, but I think it’s just that!

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apparently we have the hardest run home of any team. It would be nice to think about but I highly doubt it mate. It’s a nice dream you’re having, but I think it’s just that!

Hard run home? Every game for every team is hard, so pay no attention to that. You have to turn up each week and if you don't ANY opposition will beat you. We have the cattle to beat anyone. Can we play near our best consistently to win enough games? Certainly. Then is it game on in September? Oh yes.

SupercededMan

Team Captain
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Re GF Boyd, I think many people forget what an amazing job he did for us in the PF when Roughy went down. Many of us expected him to be annihilated by Monster Mumford, but he at least held his own.

That, I think, is the true value of Boyd - dual threat.

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No.

We lost to two mediocre teams in the whole of 2016 - St Kilda and Freo. And the Freo loss was in Perth when we had our finals position sewn up already and we were resting players in anticipation. We've already lost to Carlton and GC this year, and I have no confidence that we won't lose to plenty more mediocre teams.

We haven't even gotten to the tough part of the season for young teams yet, which is June-July and yet we have ALREADY lost 4 games. We were 6-2 at this point in 2016 on our way to 9-3 before we had our first genuine stumble.

I think there are great signs for us building a decent team. And I expect us to cause a few more upsets this year. But at this stage I would say we are more likely to win 9 games than 14. I'd be surprised if we made the finals.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard run home? Every game for every team is hard, so pay no attention to that. You have to turn up each week and if you don't ANY opposition will beat you. We have the cattle to beat anyone. Can we play near our best consistently to win enough games? Certainly. Then is it game on in September? Oh yes.
Yes, you make good points, however, I believe we have to get Gowers out of our forward line. He’s not the answer as our deepest forward every week. If he is in there, he has to be 3rd or 4th forward. If we can get Trengove, or Cordy or Boyd into the forward line with Naughton, I believe we will kick bigger scores!

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lol I wish. But 2016 felt different to this season. Our first 4 wins in 2016 were big wins and we hit the scoreboard hard. Whilst this year I am liking how we are going about it (except one game) - we just don’t look as brutal in attack as we did in 2016. This week is the real test and that’s no offence to Richmond or Brisbane.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
This season is shaping more like 2017 from my vantage point. Around

11 -11 after round 23 l reckon, just missing like 17.

Back