is this a good book idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't see the original thread
But I agree with earlier comments - I think it's an amazing foundation for a book (and an amazing tribute to your father /a keepsake for your family ). I hope you decided to go ahead with it. If you ever do publish it , I'd happily buy it and read it . All the best .
it is taking a lot longer than i anticipated, more research than i first thought, 1 year on and probably 1/4 of the way through but i'll get there in the end. i have a couple of hundred pages of notes/scribbles/drafts/re-drafts, just a matter of linking it all together in a coherent manner.

jason pm you still working on this project?
Thanks for the enquiry, I haven't worked on it at all since September 2017. My marriage of 34 years broke down at that time and it was an extremely traumatic experience so everything went on hold for a while, It may sound strange to say but it was more emotional/hard than the death of my father. I'm in a good place now though, living the single lifestyle. I wasn't much further on from what I posted in #26.

My mother asked me about it a few months ago and even though I'd said I wouldn't show anyone until I was finished I gave her a look at what I'd done, she is 80 and even though she's in good health I thought I should give her more than a "Yer it's going OK".

I won't be online again until the new year so I hope all you GD board contributors had a great Christmas day and continue to have a fantastic holiday period, see you all next year.

born- 1936. died- 2013. who- my father. we spoke extensively about his life after he was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 and he related many fascinating stories. true story.

he was a tough old bastard who always had the feeling he was an outcast in his own family as a child and was bashed mercilessly while his brother wasn't. he found out in his 70's that the man he thought was his father in fact was not. his mother was a teacher in a small country town in western queensland who slept with a local man and the result was my father, she moved away and never went back.
a few life high/low lights from a book i may write.
1. lost his virginity as a 10 year old. was molested as a child but would get teary and not want to talk about it so never pushed it.
2. felt guilty his whole life about not going to a creek with 2 mates for a swim when young (he was a very good swimmer) one of said mates drowned.
3. his mother died when he was 14, then left home and worked in a coal mine.
4. moved to winton in CQ to work as a cattle/sheep station hand when around 16.
5. swam the diamantina river in flood.
6. got his pilots license, flew tiger moths.
7. did a mail run for a few years around far western queensland ie winton to windorah.
8. drove road trains.
9. could have joined the air force but had fell in love with my mother (a barmaid at the north gregory hotel in winton) and moved to melbourne to start a family. he told me he used to f..k anything that moved.
10. worked his arse off for the next 25 years, concreter, cab driver, b double long hauls to name a few.
11. flew gliders/hang gliders. 2 near death experiences.
12. was spiritual not religious the last 10 years or so of his life. said i don't believe in an after life i know. said he could astral travel.
13. was a heavy drinker and 100 cigarettes a day smoker, gave up both cold turkey overnight and never touched them again at around the same time.
14. was an undefeated amateur boxer.

the highest and lowest lights not included, most of the above can be expanded on greatly, but you get the idea. i used to say to him i should write a bloody book about your life, he would say not while i'm alive. have been toying with the idea in the 3 years since his death. book yes/no?

I'd read. Yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back