Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought we hit rock bottom early 2021 but I was wrong.

A team that is full of players who can't execute basic skills, don't play as a team and can't carry out the game plan.

Is this as rock bottom as we're going to get and things will start clicking soon or is there worse to come?

Like the proverbial rubber ball we are currently squashed like you see on the slow mo closeups of a ball bouncing

Nah. Rock bottom is when you do this again. And again. And again. Year after year. There's a lot further to sink than where we are at now, but we need to avoid hitting rock bottom. The ship has to start steering properly very soon.

In 2019 we were on the bottom after Round 5 and the fallout saw the coach sacked within a month. In 2020, we started with two wins, but won 1 of the next 14 and missed the spoon by the percentage lost and gained from that win. In 2021, we were on the bottom after Round 1 and stayed there all year for our first spoon in nearly 50 years. And now in 2022, we're on the bottom again and preparing for things getting worse.

We have done this again and again and again. Year after year. I'm being patient but it's wearing thin when we've been dogshit for 4 years, mediocre for most of the last twenty, and now not only is there no light at the end of the tunnel, we probably don't even have a tunnel.

Last edited:
I’m not suggesting this is in play more like worse case scenario but rock bottom would be being shipped off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just posted on another forum, I have followed North since 1975 in very good times and not so good ( I will keep following them until I drop ) but I have not seen a North Team without a system and purpose like this one we have loads of talent coming though I am concerned we are not developing them to a level that makes them competitive and that may be our coaches

Pretty much.

2006, most of 2009 save for the last 2 games and the last half of 2016 were all pretty gutting.

This current team has them beat though since we know we will be s**t for a long while yet.

This is:

the rock wrestling GIF by WWE

I genuinely believe it’s only going to get worse this year.

Unless there’s a miracle we aren’t winning our next couple which will further knock the confidence and then we come up against Melbourne. The way we are tracking its frightening to think what Melbourne could do to us. So no a lot more pain to come.

Rock bottom? How long is it since we have been a powerhouse in the league? We have not done anything to set the world on fire for over 20 years. Remember the 90s. What a powerhouse team. A joy to watch. Since then what? Not much. Same s**t every year. Making up the numbers. The club has become a total basket case. How do we rectify this. I don't think the club can. Mistake after mistake. Maybe relocate to Tassie. Get the support of the AFL. Get top draft picks. Maybe we could start attracting high profile players. Remember South Melbourne and Fitzroy? We are no better than those two clubs. Maybe it IS time to consider relocating to Tassie and becoming a destination club again. This rubbish we dish up year after year has to stop. If anyone has got better ideas I am all ears.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back