Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

I will never understand or respect tanking. It’s pathetic. Pathetic for club, culture and fans. I am so glad we got to see a win at the end of last year. I don’t give a s**t what some people think we should have done instead. And by the way, tanking is cheating.
Exactly. If the team had tanked then we'd know for sure that the club had hit rock bottom.

I remember trying to convince and delude myself so hard about how much different 14 & 15 was compared to 07 & 08, (we really should have finished top 4 again in 08 if it weren't for that round 22 choke), but the reality is that we were battlers punching above our weight in 07/08, and we were battlers punching above our weight in 14/15.

And that's the problem, battlers do not equal winners. I rather get 10 spoons to be winner once than battling 10 times with 1 spoon.

in the former case, we are winners and the latter, nothing. Let's face it, we achieved precisely nothing between 02 and 2019.

We need to build the club to be winners, we need a team that understands winning (winning and battling are 2 diff things).

Our 2010 rebuild was wrong from the offset, we built a team aiming to compete and not to win.

While that was impressive for us, ultimately we were that far off the top sides that we had no chance.

We were never in the hunt, not in 07, 14 or 15.

We are finally in a position to build a team that can eventually take us all the way or at the very least stay in top 4 for a while.
yeah you were off the top sides in those prelim years in 2007, 2014 or 2015.

I would love to see freo have a season like Port or North Melbourne did in 2014. Win a home elim final in week one and win an away semi final in week 2. I dont care what anyone says. its still a good season overall if you do that.

If losing down the cattery by 10 goals is rock bottom whats losing to a mediocre footscray without the bugle by 10 goals??
Funny! Oh and by the way I'm not mouseing around!
Tom And Jerry Lol GIF by myHQ

I remember trying to convince and delude myself so hard about how much different 14 & 15 was compared to 07 & 08, (we really should have finished top 4 again in 08 if it weren't for that round 22 choke), but the reality is that we were battlers punching above our weight in 07/08, and we were battlers punching above our weight in 14/15.

2007 was a wild year. That list had no business making the finals, let alone finishing 3rd overall. If I remember right we were widely tipped for the spoon. Even though we got flogged by Geelong and Port in the finals (with a win over the dawks sandwiched inbetween) I overall remember that year fondly due to where we were coming from of the misery of 2006 and an 0-3 start, the off field struggles and resisting that, and Archer's milestones.

By far our best chance in the 21st century so far was 2015.
We had finals experience from the year before. Then added Waitey and Higgo.
Taz was moved down back to spectacular success and Ben Jacobs became a tagger to spectacular success. I've made it very clear I'm not a Bard fan, but after he came back from his surgery was the best he ever coached.

The Cats had a down year, Sydney and Freo finished top 4 but had hit the wall by the end of the year. The Tiges weren't quite ready
We had a prelim against a good but not great West Coast, that was winnable.
We totally dominated the first quarter, playing some of the best footy I've seen from a North side. But we only kicked 3 goals, it really should've been 6 or 7.
West Coast then got on top with fresher legs from a week off and some borderline corrupt umpiring didn't help either.
That was our shot with that group, but our inconsistency in the first half of the year cost us a top 4 spot. We had to go the hard way and it told in the end.
But it was probably moot, because the Hawks likely would've been too good for us in the Granny.

yeah you were off the top sides in those prelim years in 2007, 2014 or 2015.

I would love to see freo have a season like Port or North Melbourne did in 2014. Win a home elim final in week one and win an away semi final in week 2. I dont care what anyone says. its still a good season overall if you do that.

Look, in hindsight, we couldn't tank and bottom out under laidley or scott as it would mean we get blanketed to relocate as we were hopeless off the field and useless on it.

We actively purged the list post 2020 knowing that we are secure in Arden with the upcoming cbd development.

Look, in hindsight, we couldn't tank and bottom out under laidley or scott as it would mean we get blanketed to relocate as we were hopeless off the field and useless on it.

We actively purged the list post 2020 knowing that we are secure in Arden with the upcoming cbd development.
I know that. North Refused to tank. North would rather fight to the bitter end than tank or ask for a priority pick like Carlton did in 2005-7 or demons in 2012-13.

Thats the main reason I respect North Melbourne. Even the D grade players would give it their all and fight.

I have said this before and will say this Again... Only way I agree North Melbourne to relocate home games is not heading to Tassie, but to have the occasional home game in Carlton Blues home ground of Ikon park or Princes park. At least its in the Northern suburbs.

Yes North Purged the list in 2020 when they had that 3 or 4 win season, But thats fine. AFL have got Billions of dollars coming in with that TV rights money.

I remember when Port were bad in 2008-12. constantly losing 2 or 3 million a year, they lost 6 million in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that. North Refused to tank. North would rather fight to the bitter end than tank or ask for a priority pick like Carlton did in 2005-7 or demons in 2012-13.

Thats the main reason I respect North Melbourne. Even the D grade players would give it their all and fight.

I have said this before and will say this Again... Only way I agree North Melbourne to relocate home games is not heading to Tassie, but to have the occasional home game in Carlton Blues home ground of Ikon park or Princes park. At least its in the Northern suburbs.

Yes North Purged the list in 2020 when they had that 3 or 4 win season, But thats fine. AFL have got Billions of dollars coming in with that TV rights money.

I remember when Port were bad in 2008-12. constantly losing 2 or 3 million a year, they lost 6 million in 2012.

If we had the financial stability of today as back then, we would've proactively cleansed the list.

Of course, none of us here knows how the $$$ is currently flowing but looking at the current reality, the fact that we are happy to actively bottom out in 2020 tells me we are fairly secure in ways we have never been.

Next, we pulled all stops to relocate twice, it tells me our location today is worth far more than it appears and that was why afl was very keen to move us on. Also, looking at the reactions of other clubs nearby like collingwood, richmond, they probably would want to move into the arden area as it has a huge financial potential.

With the recent announcing of 10 priority development (Arden and Preston being 2 of them), and piercing everything together, its quite evident that we stand to gain massively from the development, much more than the AFL cash injection had we moved to GC or Tasmania. Staying at Arden is worth the smallest vic status as well as much smaller academy.

If losing down the cattery by 10 goals is rock bottom whats losing to a mediocre footscray without the bugle by 10 goals??
losing 21.13 139 to 10.4.64 to the cats in Geelong isnt too bad of a loss down there.

I think the game where cats won 9.13.67 to Norths 1.8.14 in geelong was worse.

Todd Goldstein nailed a set shot.

To add to this, most of those crying foul on this site were those who called for a massive purge. We did exactly that so the club knows what is in store. We all wanted this because the 20 years before the purge were wasted season, something far worse than bottoming out. We are finally on the right path.

As God Emperor Leto says, the golden path to the ultimate salvation is often littered with destruction, despair and desolation.
* Jay Leto , I was happy we bottomed out. Was the right choice, I just didn't allow for covid and that prick Dan Andrew stopping footy for two years. That is two wasted years languishing on the bottom.

Then we've had some of the best talent unavailable to us. Nary a gun KP to be seen anywhere near the top few picks. Just mid after mid.
Then the guys from elsewhere are mostly spuds

It's a freaking nightmare

Oh well

* Jay Leto , I was happy we bottomed out. Was the right choice, I just didn't allow for covid and that prick Dan Andrew stopping footy for two years. That is two wasted years languishing on the bottom.

Then we've had some of the best talent unavailable to us. Nary a gun KP to be seen anywhere near the top few picks. Just mid after mid.
Then the guys from elsewhere are mostly spuds

It's a freaking nightmare

Oh well
Can't believe he didn't prevent the pandemic : 3AW look

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back