Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

10 goal turnaround, gave up a 5 goal lead.
The fact that we showed a bit of pluck when it was too late… eh 🤷‍♂️

I was out, saw the score, got back for 2nd half and knew this would happen. Knew it!

It’s not even our youngsters, they get a leave pass to some extent - it’s the middle tier, older players that need to be more clutch and lead the way.
There was very little to stem the tide. It was so predictable.

Please don’t think there is any anger here. I just think it’s time to expect more. We’ve been pretty patient.

See I agree with most of this.

I no longer believe wins are possible. I was there. I didn’t celebrate the 2 qrt as hard as I should, despite playing the best footy we have played since 2019.

The reason.

I knew we’d lose. I assumed it would be a heart breaking late capitulation.

Just like I, and all the level 2 members around me knew we’d lose against the swans last year. Or st kilda. Or * twice.

We have completely forgotten how to win as a club.

It hurts. It hurts more because you know it’s coming.

But again, our options are

• give up
  • try an re learn how to win.

It’s a no brained decision for me

Do you wholeheartedly trust the people in charge to get us competitive by 2026/27? And if so, why?
We don’t have a choice. They are the people in charge, whether we like it or not? Until it gets to Noble levels of despair, then I will keep my powder dry.

I still believe with the talent we are accumulating plus the glimpses of a very good football side we have seen, that we are on the right track.

It’s just going to take time. We aren’t playing finals this year, so the win/loss becomes less important than building a solid squad and a play style that stacks up.

When we become uncompetitive and getting blown out of the park by 10 plus goals regularly, then I will hit the panic button.

There’s absolutely no guarantee that we will be consistently competitive enough in the next 12-24 months to win against the better sides.

All there is is ‘hope’ (TM Andrew Swallow).

The stench of defeat has permeated through the entire list. No one knows how to stand up to a challenge.

We lost twenty ******* games in a row FFS.

TWENTY!

Do you wholeheartedly trust the people in charge to get us competitive by 2026/27? And if so, why?

“The Freo this year is not the Freo of last year”

Do people even hear themselves anymore?

It’s always everyone else improving out of sight, while we pick over the carcass of loss after loss trying to justify micro-steps of not being disappointed relative to how much better our opponent inevitably always is.

There’s absolutely no guarantee that we will be consistently competitive enough in the next 12-24 months to win against the better sides.

All there is is ‘hope’ (TM Andrew Swallow).

The stench of defeat has permeated through the entire list. No one knows how to stand up to a challenge.

We lost twenty ******* games in a row FFS.

TWENTY!

I’d be happy to be able to be genuinely 50/50 against the mediocre sides in 24 months.

Hard to show up each week being guaranteed a loss - and I say that as someone who does.
That’s just how it is for rebuilding and s**t football teams.

You need to ride it out and hope it turns.

As a young fella when I followed North we were the pits and I thought I would never see a successful team.

Then the 90’s came along and you would turn up expecting to win.

It’s just how it is. Surely if one thing has taught you in your time following this club, is that nothing comes easy, but it’s so much ******* sweeter when it does.

I’ll probably take that advice. This is not the same organisation that I began supporting. Hasn’t been for two decades.

*edit: it’s not a miracle to expect better than, what was it..? 12 goals in a row against us? A team we defeated last year, it’s worth repeating.
I mate I have followed this club from the mid 70s and I can tell you it’s not the same organisation than that one, we have had great years and bad years for the last 5 years have been very bad, I will not stop following North because of some bad years I have to believe this year will be better than last year and the year after will be even better.

Last edited:
“The Freo this year is not the Freo of last year”

Do people even hear themselves anymore?

It’s always everyone else improving out of sight, while we pick over the carcass of loss after loss trying to justify micro-steps of not being disappointed relative to how much better our opponent inevitably always is.
Take a rest mate.

Result is done and no matter how much you want to bitch and moan about it, it won’t change.

Saddle up and ride the roller coaster next week and watch the boys have another crack at getting better.

The long process of watching us lose to the same opponent we defeated this time last year, with our SuperCoach being completely out-coached…?
It’s been six years of sh*t.
I trust nothing until I start to see something to believe in.

You're correct we did beat them last year 11. 7 73 10.12 72.

Although the side yesterday was 48.76 % different or around 51.24% the same.

Now I'm smart enough not tell others how they should feel. It has been a complete * up for years and my advice to everyone is drawn a line through everything that happen up to 2022.

So this new era is into it's 3rd season. But they new team has only had control of drafting, planning and fitness for two pre-seasons.

From what I witnessed yesterday, we probably need to replace sooner than later; Stephenson, Corr, Lazzaro, McDonald, Pink and CCJ.

As in if we got rid of those six we're not really worse off, probably better off tbh.

And i'd give al clarko a chance we may well have fallen away in the third, but under 10 years of Scott, I don't think we had a game plan at all.

Take a rest mate.

Result is done and no matter how much you want to bitch and moan about it, it won’t change.

Saddle up and ride the roller coaster next week and watch the boys have another crack at getting better.
100% agree I will be there next week screaming at the umpires and yelling at every goal we score, I will then come home and read everyone venting on this board and believe we are getting better

Now I'm smart enough not tell others how they should feel. It has been a complete * up for years and my advice to everyone is drawn a line through everything that happen up to 2022.

So this new era is into it's 3rd season. But they new team has only had control of drafting, planning and fitness for two pre-seasons.

From what I witnessed yesterday, we probably need to replace sooner than later; Stephenson, Corr, Lazzaro, McDonald, Pink and CCJ.

As in if we got rid of those six we're not really worse off, probably better off tbh.

And i'd give al clarko a chance we may well have fallen away in the third, but under 10 years of Scott, I don't think we had a game plan at all.

One of those is our captain.

The new regime looked at all the options they had, and chose Lmac to be captain. That alone doesn’t fill me with hope and optimism. Just sayin’.

I dunno about rock bottom, I reckon the old timers I've known would say they've seen some tough times as well.

What I do know is that this group is going in the right direction - genuinely elite young talent, a coaching group that's showing the capacity to get the best out of people (eg Xerri and Kal Dawson), and a competent reserves program that's providing players to choose from (Sellars, Bergman etc).

Maybe its the darkest moment before the dawn.

Stick fat.

One of those is our captain.

The new regime looked at all the options they had, and chose Lmac to be captain. That alone doesn’t fill me with hope and optimism. Just sayin’.

Man I done one of them fancy Leadership courses, and one must remember that the boys were bereft of confidence, and bluntly weren't enjoying being at the club. It wasn't a nice place under Noble.

SO without boring you with details this is 101 rebuilding of faith, purpose and intent. Just because you're Cpt today doesn't mean you are in 2026.

That is the season we come good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add Tucker and Stephens. Pink I'm giving some time to.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rock bottom was 2021 losing to the Bulldogs by 121 points when Josh Bruce kicked 10 goals

Since then we've been in rehab, progressing well with the occasional relapse.

3rd quarter yesterday was as bad as it gets but Ive sat through 4 quarters of that many times over the last few years.

Feeling good at half time is a new experience.

Who would you have recruited instead?

Specifically which players

Just sayin, we’re writing them off now. Not great. Youth aren’t inevitably gonna get better with these guys as examples.

I don’t know who we could’ve got but it doesn’t seem to be an improvement on what we had tbh.

Take a rest mate.

Let’s hope it’s the reverse effect of last year - we beat Freo and then lost a shitload in a row so perhaps this time we will win a few in a row starting with Carlton!

Having Clarko for a full year will also make a huge difference imo. Total cluster f&$k last year with how it unfolded with Clarko.

Just sayin, we’re writing them off now. Not great. Youth aren’t inevitably gonna get better with these guys as examples.

I don’t know who we could’ve got but it doesn’t seem to be an improvement on what we had tbh.

We recruited selective players that could run out games to help the young blokes. We used picks that had to be traded.

We are the youngest list in the comp.

They aren’t the future, they are there as placeholders.

Anyways to end the discussion , for mine rock bottom would look like this. Having a

36 yr old ruckman
Benny ' one-kick & paid 1.4 mil per season ' Magoo
General B Scott as your coach.
Dildarno as your head recruiter

Now I'm not suggesting that quadrella of crap would ever happen as it's rather fanciful to think so.

But what I'm trying to say, things could be worse.

Yeah, a lot of talk all season about being ready and players saying they can play finals.

Well at the very least, supporters need a please explain as to why when the game was there to be won, it wasn’t put away.

Instead, we’re further encouraging this losing culture and that GC win is looking more and more likely as a game that had nothing to do with North playing well at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back