Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyways to end the discussion , for mine rock bottom would look like this. Having a

36 yr old ruckman
Benny ' one-kick & paid 1.4 mil per season ' Magoo
General B Scott as your coach.
Dildarno as your head recruiter

Now I'm not suggesting that quadrella of crap would ever happen as it's rather fanciful to think so.

But what I'm trying to say, things could be worse.
Dildarno worth a shout out 🤣

Sometimes I wonder if this ‘Shinboner Spirit’ does us any favours. When Brad Scott tried to distance the club from it when he arrived, I understood where he was coming from. It has ‘battler’ connotations and seems to value ‘effort’ more than winning. Which when you’ve been as crap as we have for 5 years, ‘Shinboner spirit’ seems a bit hollow.

My memory may be selective, but I don’t recall the ‘Shinboner Spirit’ dogma being as central to our identity on the 90s as it seems to be now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I wonder if this ‘Shinboner Spirit’ does us any favours. When Brad Scott tried to distance the club from it when he arrived, I understood where he was coming from. It has ‘battler’ connotations and seems to value ‘effort’ more than winning. Which when you’ve been as crap as we have for 5 years, ‘Shinboner spirit’ seems a bit hollow.

My memory may be selective, but I don’t recall the ‘Shinboner Spirit’ dogma being as central to our identity on the 90s as it seems to be now.

He was roundly criticised for trying to rid the club of the “struggler” mentality, but you’re right. I don’t remember “shinboner spirit” being a factor at all in our successful years. Our team was arrogant AF.

The “shinboner spirit” thing I only recall being a thing from 2002 onwards, where we weren’t expected to recover post-Careygate.. However it stuck and became more and more of a thing the more AFL became all about money.

And here we are.

Well past rock bottom now (which for me was when we lost to Geelong down at the scummery a couple of years ago by over 100 points).
I’m really interested to see how clarko manages over the next few weeks. Feel like we may lose our first 5. Really important he can stick to our game plan and ensure the players remain positive
Agree. It was always a very tough start which does make yesterday sting a bit more - it would have been nice to pinch and lock away a win early. Unlike others I don't see Carlton as off the table, Brisbane will be a tough gig away though.

Well I’m booking seats this week to sit in the North Members section for our annual Grand Final in this Wintery Horror Story

* v Nmfc

With the added spice of Mr Magoo

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones

Agree. It was always a very tough start which does make yesterday sting a bit more - it would have been nice to pinch and lock away a win early. Unlike others I don't see Carlton as off the table, Brisbane will be a tough gig away though.
Serious Q, Lions game is neutral so does that change anything for you?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm as glass half empty as any on this forum, on a forum where being pessimistic is basically a pre requisite for posting. And even I can see that we have previously hit rock bottom. In my view it was pretty clearly under Noble, I've never seen us be that bad for that long, playing football that poorly, with the players we were putting on the field. Players that by all rights should never have put the jumper on. Where we had Dan Howe and Kayne Turner and Lachie Young we have Harry Sheezel and Zane Duursma and Colby McKercher.

I feel like we are absolutely on the way up. No question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious Q, Lions game is neutral so does that change anything for you?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
O s**t, you're right. Forgot about nonsense round - absolutely it does although young teams often struggle away from home as well.

I'm as glass half empty as any on this forum, on a forum where being pessimistic is basically a pre requisite for posting. And even I can see that we have previously hit rock bottom. In my view it was pretty clearly under Noble, I've never seen us be that bad for that long, playing football that poorly, with the players we were putting on the field. Players that by all rights should never have put the jumper on. Where we had Dan Howe and Kayne Turner and Lachie Young we have Harry Sheezel and Zane Duursma and Colby McKercher.

I feel like we are absolutely on the way up. No question.

Absolutely mate. We had Duursma and McKercher in their second games putting out games that the group of players you've listed and plenty of others wouldn't imagine even in their fantasies. It sucks to lose a gettable game but the season is young and we will have plenty of chances to put our hands up and advertise the club to young talent looking for a new home.

I think TT should still be on our list.

Yes he's a dickhead and made immature mistakes, but to delist him when not charged for anything is ridiculous.

We are in no position to be delisting our best players on private issues.

We realistically had no other choice. The optics would have brought a media scrutiny upon us that we absolutely do not need right now. He was out of chances.

Firstly, let’s address your hyperbole.

Within the last 20 years we’ve played in 3 prelims. So in those years was the club “not the club you started to support”. Or is it only the club you “started to support” when we win a flag?

Second, we didn’t give up 12 goals in a row. It was 9 goals in a row. You were 33% off.

So, now back to reality.

How do I have my head in the sand? Because im not resorting to hyperbole to inflate the “bad news” to prove a point?

So what happens when an “unacceptable” result such as yesterday happens?

• do we fold the club?
  • drop the whole team?
  • forfeit next week?
  • or does Spud11 just give up?

If you want to give up, that’s your right.

It hurts only winning 9 out of 70 odd games or whether it is. I understand.

And our lowly finishes aren’t what I as a north supporter am accustomed to. We went for years finishing mid table with 10 or so wins.

I didn’t expect it would be so hard for us to climb off the bottom.

I didn’t expect that we would be so far off winning a game for so long.

But im not going to give up, and i expect the players aren’t either.

One thing I do know is that we are the youngest team/list in the comp.

And we have a collection of young top end talent that is head and shoulders above any period since the early 90’s.

But again Spud11, you do what you need to.
Your approach to posting this year is one of the shining lights on here.

Poster of the year so far and by some way.

Your approach to posting this year is one of the shining lights on here.

Poster of the year so far and by some way.

You are too kind.

I’ve been on Bigfooty for over 20 years and never got an honourable mention for poster of the year so like the Roos I’m due for a win 😂

West Toast get done by 100+ maybe we have something to be happy about. Someone is shitter than us. Least we were reasonably competitive against them on their home paddock.

That’s just how it is for rebuilding and s**t football teams.

You need to ride it out and hope it turns.

As a young fella when I followed North we were the pits and I thought I would never see a successful team.

Then the 90’s came along and you would turn up expecting to win.

It’s just how it is. Surely if one thing has taught you in your time following this club, is that nothing comes easy, but it’s so much ******* sweeter when it does. vary honest description.
A very honest and apt description

Because the Shinboner Spirit has been replaced by the 💩hitboner Spirit.
We can have Clarkson Viney new assistant coaches everything else but we have a culture of not making really hard decisions and the club I think is frighted to make these decisions that may effect mates.
This is a professional sport we are not back in the old days of the outer of Arden St in the middle of winter get with the program.
This is the now not 70s or 90s anymore I wish like everyone else it was but it arnt.
As for diehard supporters like myself that go every week Thank You for attending games no matter the outcome as for the Token Gesture Back Slapping Bottom Feeders that only turn up when it suits them to be seen high 5in each with you clap trap BS .
All I can say to you lot that your F::king Disgrace by not supporting our club the NMFC club grow some balls do the right thing and start attending games as if we as a club are outnumbered by a massive amount by Carlton supporter’s this Friday it will prove to vultures out there EG:The AFL and Media how low this club has fallen.

You're right. If we get angry enough somehow that will change what happens on field. How could I have missed that?
I nominate Spud11 to come up with some withering chants for the cheer squad to sting the team into action…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back