Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

we knew this was coming. The previous 20 year strategy of playing for 8th was a treadmill.

The disappointing thing is the lack of spirit.
Remember how many times we said "if we cut the * out of the list we'll be in the same place as Melbourne and Carlton!"

Well here we are.

I guess the only thing about that is that at the end of 2020 it was pretty obvious we had no choice but to rip out the knives and start slashing.

So now we're here we just have to keep pushing till we get thru.

Remember how many times we said "if we cut the fu** out of the list we'll be in the same place as Melbourne and Carlton!"

Well here we are.

I guess the only thing about that is that at the end of 2020 it was pretty obvious we had no choice but to rip out the knives and start slashing.

Yep. The chance of a quick turnaround as nearly zero considering our 24-30 list which is the worst Ive ever seen.

It is predictable. Of our “elite” players in last 5 years - 3 play for other clubs, goldstein appears cooked and cunners is out. The club didnt offer longer deals to those guys and we are suffering short term severe pain.
We have had our only 2 Kps - larkey and mckay and most effective metres gained player miss games. As well as no 3 draft pick. We are 2 kps short even when they all play. Our free agent targets - corr and stevenson are average atm at best.
Until the kids develop a lot more we are going to lose a lot more games. And we are carrying mid 20s players - turner, young, etc who wouldnt play for any other team and who cant get the ball and cant use it. It is the bottom.
The risk is that they will learn terrible hanits and a losing culture on the way. Losing atm is “acceptable” if we improve and players dont shrivel up. Its not clear thats whats happening.

Remember how many times we said "if we cut the fu** out of the list we'll be in the same place as Melbourne and Carlton!"

Well here we are.

The problem is we cut the guts out of our list, basically forcing out Brown, Tarrant, Higgins, Dumont, Williams, Wood, Atley, EVW and others. These players were either top line (albeit ageing) or solid role players who atleast provided run, structure and competence. They would be best 22 in most sides at very least.

We then decided to keep:

Walker
Corr
Turner
Ziebell
McDonald
Polec
Hall
Recruited Greenwood who is 30 and Gold Coast delisted.

How can anyone think this was a good idea and not the major cause of our issues? Most of those players wouldn't get a game anywhere else and we are relying on them to provide the guidance and experience to move this group forward.

On our list currently we have 6 players 30 or over. When fit, they are Nobles first picked.

From this weekend Greenwood, Turner, Polec, Walker are not played unless major injuries strike. Ziebell returns to the backline. Hall comes back in. Both Ziebell and Hall are not played after this year.

I would put Aiden Corr in that category , but we need someone down back for now.

Goldy is only played in ruck. If we are backing CCJ for the future and decide this isn't working, Goldy plays VFL.

Anderson, Corr, McDonald, Goldy, Ziebell and Cunnington when back are more than enough of a core to work around Simpkin, Larkey, McKay, LDU and co

Phillips, Powell, Comben and possibly McGuinness should not see the VFL again this year.

If Noble isn't prepared to do this, it's time for Rawlings and co to step in and push him to the side or out to start us rebuilding again.

Last edited:
Noble will see out this year. 2023 will be his judgement time. It's not a big enough body of work to make the call at this stage, especially given the state of the list he inherited.

I would expect that if we're not seeing substantial improvement in the first 6-8 rounds of 2023, difficult questions will be asked and harder decisions made.

Can thank the board for him not being around obviously they didn’t want a top line administrator telling them some home truths.
Anyway I think his got a good job now I think something to do with V8 Racing.
I think he runs CAMS now. He's still around and interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noble will see out this year. 2023 will be his judgement time. It's not a big enough body of work to make the call at this stage, especially given the state of the list he inherited.

I would expect that if we're not seeing substantial improvement in the first 6-8 rounds of 2023, difficult questions will be asked and harder decisions made.
Well that all depends on how the team performs here on out for the rest of the season. If we keep on getting beaten by sizeable margins the Board would be derelict in it's duty to not ask the question, "Is David Noble the right person to lead us forward in this rebuild?" The Board may very well be forced to make the hard call before seasons end. Conversely if things improve and the team becomes more competitive from now on in I don't think the Board would want to move on him. They will afford him every opportunity to succeed but that has to be within reason. :stern look

Well that all depends on how the team performs here on out for the rest of the season. If we keep on getting beaten by sizeable margins the Board would be derelict in it's duty to not ask the question, "Is David Noble the right person to lead us forward in this rebuild?" The Board may very well be forced to make the hard call before seasons end. Conversely if things improve and the team becomes more competitive from now on in I don't think the Board would want to move on him. They will afford him every opportunity to succeed but that has to be within reason. :stern look

I’d prefer a decision is made by end of year either way. A half year then caretaker is a wasted year.

Well he maybe interested but getting onto the board is another thing extremely hard.
I think Tammy Roos with her PR consultant BS husband would get onto the board before Arocca .
Sorry. I meant he's interested in the happenings at the club. Not so much with being on the board.

If the effort/performance remains the same across the next 14 weeks, he’s cooked.
I agree. It's a full season, it would need to be a season of two halves to save his job - fairly or not that's where is stands right now IMO. I don't want to half arse into another year though. 2024 should be the year we start to consolidate the list to begin properly winning more games than not, we can't waste a year on 2 coaches in 2023.

I agree. It's a full season, it would need to be a season of two halves to save his job - fairly or not that's where is stands right now IMO. I don't want to half arse into another year though. 2024 should be the year we start to consolidate the list to begin properly winning more games than not, we can't waste a year on 2 coaches in 2023.
I’d absolutely make the call right now because I highly doubt much changes over the rest of the season.

It’s clear there is absolutely no direction or system.

Who would you replace noble with?
Also when is he contracted to?
I have said all along that the bye week represents the best time to reflect on Nobes first 18 months - that is still a few weeks away so that still needs to play out but right now he is showing nothing resembling a senior coach - he is very much in the Neeld /Bolton camp of results and everything that leads to those types of results.

If we need to move on Nobes then Patch Adams should take over as care taker coach if Blakey doesn't want it (which I understand to be the case.) A full review would then be done at year end to find the best coach that we want and who wants us.

Nobes is effectively a contractor - he has no set contract term - however he would be clearly paid out for the reminder of the year if he was dismissed during the latter part of the year. That would be the fairest thing to do.

I just don’t get why everyone loses it about Nobes, it is clear things aren’t going well but it doesn’t mean he (or more importantly the group of coaches) can’t coach.

We don’t have the necessary senior talent to provide the base to support all our kids. It’s as simple as that!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back