Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well its 8 weeks until our next home game at Marvel - against Collingwood. Yes, 8 weeks between home games in Melbourne.

It will be interesting to see where things are at by that stage - player wise and supporter wise.
It’s disgusting fixturing by the AFL. Can you imagine if they sent another club interstate 4 out of 6 weeks, with the other 2 weeks being away games?

If you put the tinfoil hat on, that coupled with the hard start to the year looks like a deliberate ploy to kill off any interest in our season and give the AFL a reason to keep it to an 18 team competition.

But in the flip side, there are probably a lot of Melbourne based members that are glad that they don’t have to front up for a while and be put through that again.

I’m sorry to see that some of you have now come to the same conclusion I have had for a long long time that we will indeed be the Tassie Devils.

I said before they even issued the fake license to Tassie, it then became apparent when the stadium became mandatory for the Tassie team to be there No Stadium = No Team.

Tassie can’t afford a $1.5b stadium, the .Gov is capping its share at $375m the Albo donated $270m (TO THE PRECINCT, not all on the stadium) and the AFL stumped up Jack s**t.

The stadium was estimated at $715m but that was without a roof the specs even said add 20% for a roof and this was at 2021 prices so add another 25-40% on that total of $850m = $1b minimum.

So where does the other Billion or so come from, it isn’t happening.

BUT the AFL would exempt the stadium or heck even prop it up if they could rid the league of the Roos.

The offer would be you can build the stadium later on and use UTAS, Bloodstone if North go South.

The .Gov will take it and the Tassie people will just accept it as the best option to avoid spending $1b of taxpayers money, I wouldn’t mind betting that Rocky wasn’t in on it.

The stadium is hated by most Tas peeps..!

One would almost think there was a white ant programme initiated awhile back.

As members we could veto the move BUT if the AFL has to step in to rectify the current state of affairs that veto will be stripped as part of that deal.

Tinfoil hats are cheap and sometimes a truth starts out as a conspiracy and is only later verified as a truth in hindsight..!

Look we all agree with that. And it's those quality senior players that allow the youngsters to develop.
So a question - what is it that NM need to become successful?
You've had a shitload of high draft picks - so giving you more doesn't seem to be the answer. Do you need a salary cap that exceeds other clubs to allow you to 'buy' senior talent? Do you need extra spots reserved for player above a certain age (bit like the senior list of a few years back where half of their salary was excluded from the cap)
Be constructive here (sacking EVERYONE isn't usually constructive) - as the last think NM need is confining the talented youngsters you have to a career of unfulfilled talent or they up stakes and leave.
More? We haven't been "given" any yet.

We will "earn" pick 1 this year though.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The last thing we need is board instability and talks of sackings. We do need better, stronger, hungrier and fitter players and game plan that's sustainable and that can evolve/adapt when challenged.

My daughter told me this morning she no longer likes going to the footy with me because "North never win and it's sad".

We are at risk of losing an entire generation of supporters.

Can only imagine how bad the morale is amongst the playing group. The pressure would be insane. Those running the show need to find something this week and get us a win.

My daughter told me this morning she no longer likes going to the footy with me because "North never win and it's sad".

Absolutely we are. Our types are rusted on til death. We experienced highs. My kids have really only experienced lows. You can't expect young kids to stick fat while all their mates are enjoying watching their teams.

My daughter who is 8 made me a card that said sorry for North Melbourne not winning and she drew me a picture of a kangaroo.

She will never be a passionate supporter. not now, not ever. She only ever comes to games under sufferage.

my son who is 21 on the other hand I feel guilt for overwhelming him as a kid to become a North Supporter. he hurts as much or more than I do. He's probably more committed than I am and I am not sure that is healthy.

My daughter who is 8 made me a card that said sorry for North Melbourne not winning and she drew me a picture of a kangaroo.

She will never be a passionate supporter. not now, not ever. She only ever comes to games under sufferage.

my son who is 21 on the other hand I feel guilt for overwhelming him as a kid to become a North Supporter. he hurts as much or more than I do. He's probably more committed than I am and I am not sure that is healthy.
My two are old enough to remember the Prelims over the last ten years so they’re rusted on but they barely even watched the game yesterday.

As a kid going to school in Western Sydney I used to cop it just for following the sport but I can’t imagine what it must be like for kids who follow North in Melbourne where footy is all pervasive.

ah that lovely question we all debated around back in scotts last few years comes back... can a club like North afford to bottom out and rebuild. Noting the risks that come with such an idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the exception of some list decisions (especially around key positions) I don't buy into the 'lack of talent' or 'they're not trying' story.

I do believe they run and try hard, i see it. But man everything including their skills look like shyte bc they still don't click together as a team.

There were many examples of it just yesterday. One 'right in front of me' where Kerch beat two on the boundary after exiting the D50 and handballed it 5 metres in front of Tucker. Any other team would have run into that but we turned it over bc tucker was still strolling and waiting to see if kerch was going to win. The funny part is if kerch lost tucker was out of position anyway. He needed to be running, needs to trust that ball is coming to him.

I'm a fan patiently waiting of it all to 'click' :(

I woke up this morning and kind of felt like I wanted the club to die? So I could be free to pick someone else? My partner and I were joking about how we made such a poor decision last year.

I'm not posting this here for validation, I know that thought isn't really okay in football world. Posting partly to give insight into a (fairly dedicated) young supporter's mindset, and partly for some venting/therapy.

I joked that I wish I’d chosen Fitzroy back in the day. It didn’t go well. But IMO if you’ve invested time and money in an organisation that is giving you less than zero now and they’re not even acknowledging the crisis (in fact they seem thrilled!)… you can feel how you feel and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Absolutely we are. Our types are rusted on til death. We experienced highs. My kids have really only experienced lows. You can't expect young kids to stick fat while all their mates are enjoying watching their teams.
It's that simple.

It takes 7 years to make finals from the first season you attack the draft. Kangas are in Yr 2. Do not implode as a football club. Carlton went through the same process. In 2o18, 3rd season of the rebuild, we wooden spooned, because we lost our senior core to age, trades, injuries and played kids in key positions. The only difference between Carlton and the Kangas is Carlton recruited key position first. Stay the course and when the press calls for Clarko's head don't sack the coach

I really think losing Ratten was a bigger deal than we thought, he was a more recent senior coach who seemed like he really connected with the players and seemed like he could be a bit more of a hardass with them. Can’t imagine this rot happening on his watch

I’m sorry to see that some of you have now come to the same conclusion I have had for a long long time that we will indeed be the Tassie Devils.

I said before they even issued the fake license to Tassie, it then became apparent when the stadium became mandatory for the Tassie team to be there No Stadium = No Team.

Tassie can’t afford a $1.5b stadium, the .Gov is capping its share at $375m the Albo donated $270m (TO THE PRECINCT, not all on the stadium) and the AFL stumped up Jack s**t.

The stadium was estimated at $715m but that was without a roof the specs even said add 20% for a roof and this was at 2021 prices so add another 25-40% on that total of $850m = $1b minimum.

So where does the other Billion or so come from, it isn’t happening.

BUT the AFL would exempt the stadium or heck even prop it up if they could rid the league of the Roos.

The offer would be you can build the stadium later on and use UTAS, Bloodstone if North go South.

The .Gov will take it and the Tassie people will just accept it as the best option to avoid spending $1b of taxpayers money, I wouldn’t mind betting that Rocky wasn’t in on it.

The stadium is hated by most Tas peeps..!

One would almost think there was a white ant programme initiated awhile back.

As members we could veto the move BUT if the AFL has to step in to rectify the current state of affairs that veto will be stripped as part of that deal.

Tinfoil hats are cheap and sometimes a truth starts out as a conspiracy and is only later verified as a truth in hindsight..!
Wouldn't come as a surprise.....be the only way we'd get any sort of proper PP.

I love footy. This morning however, I woke up feeling gutted, almost heartbroken. I don't want to listen to my footy podcasts, I don't want to talk to anyone at work about footy. I don't want to read anything about it. It sucks and is definitely a new low for me regarding this club. Worse is the everlasting feeling that true rock bottom is yet to come.

I'll probably get over it by Saturday's game, because I have a problem, but man does tuning out sound nice right now!
Feel exactly the same way.
Woke up like there had been a death of a close mate.

Even at work all I got was seldom looks and no one wanted to talk footy.

Its pathetic where we find ourselves. Club is on its knees and cant hide behind the rebuild excuse yesterday.
That Hawthorn team we played is barely AFL standard. We got taught a lesson by a side with heart and intent. They wanted it more.

Shame on North and all the players who pulled on the jumper and dished out that crap (Sheezel aside)

With all due respect, being historically bad is not the ONLY way to improve. That's a cop out for bad decisions.
The one major issue though, that North face, is we can’t compete against the big and more attractive clubs to secure decent free agents or players out of contract, even when we’ve been decent. Very few come across. We get the crumbs. We have our hands tied to an extent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back