Is this the best shape we have been in since 2007 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Its only 1 round into the season but based on what I have seen over the pre-season and against Freo it looks to me like we are in a great physical shape .

Most players have had a good pre-season with those who needed to lose some size and become more agile doing so and those who needed to get bigger putting on those extra KG of muscle .

Yesterday we displayed physical strength ,lots of speed and great endurance .

Its only round one but from a physical conditioning point of view this is the best we have looked for 10 years.

I am excited , Go Cats

Maybe not since 2007 but possibly for a while. Some chronically injured players have left, other chronically injured players are getting on the park regularly.
Extremely early on but Hawkins looks good, GHS seems to have found a touch more pace somehow.
Quite a few AFL/Rookie listed players will be in the VFL rnd 1 of that season.

haven't seen us look this quick before , we have always been a strong side , this year have speed and strength .

Cockatoo,Murdoch,Motlop ,Parfit,Tuohy and Thurlow who are either new additions or appear to have improved make us faster .Than you have other players that just look leaner and more agile than previous years .

To confirm not saying this is the most talented side we have had since 07 , just in the best physical condition

Nope dont think so.

We looked good V Freo - yes we did - but its March and I just can't take this seriously now.

Not by a long shot.

Lets revisit sometime in May.. late May at that... once the polish has worn off and the wheat has dropped off from the chaff a bit...

Till then..can't buy into this. Not saying I didnt like what I saw nor am I wanting it to stop.... its just like the " Il luv you " on a first date...

TOO SOON.

GO Catters

Its only 1 round into the season but based on what I have seen over the pre-season and against Freo it looks to me like we are in a great physical shape .

Most players have had a good pre-season with those who needed to lose some size and become more agile doing so and those who needed to get bigger putting on those extra KG of muscle .

Its only round one but from a physical conditioning point of view this is the best we have looked for 10 years.

I am excited , Go Cats
Well we got thumped in round 1 in 2007 so I'm not sure that is saying much

I think the thread is about physical fitness but other people are coming in to talk about form etc.? Just my read on it. Agreed that the boys look very fit and healthy, maybe we did have a better preseason than most (though Scotty doesn't much care for the idea).

R
I think the thread is about physical fitness but other people are coming in to talk about form etc.? Just my read on it. Agreed that the boys look very fit and healthy, maybe we did have a better preseason than most (though Scotty doesn't much care for the idea).
Exactly he was talking from a physical standpoint.

I am excited , Go Cats

You nailed it at the start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait another month.
Fremantle aren't in most people's top eight and they were arguably the worst performed team on the weekend.
They most definitely did not perform worse than either of the Giants or Saints. Or perhaps even the Swans. They were made to look s**t as we brought some intent with us to WA for a change.

Yep that's how I'm reading it and I pretty much agree. Definitely can't say at this point the game plan and consistency is there but we are very sound physically as a group and have had a good run injury wise over the off and pre season.

I think 2011 was the best shape we've been in - physically, mentally, and results revealed that.
But if you are only talking about rd 1 comparisons, we looked awesome rds 1 & 2 2006, iirc, then the reality check v Hawks rd 3.

Last edited:
Spot on , the amount of 2 on 1 tackling we executed was very encouraging
Like Danger said, we have had all preseason to prepare for that rd 1 game. And we did it well. Now to back it up and reproduce that intensity because NM will throw more than the kitchen sink at us on Sunday.

when the cold winter hits . . . we all tend to eat a little more than we should though
I'll be the chair, if you'll be the treasurer, of the 'Jumpers and Mittens for Hawkins Foundation' :p
If he stays warm perhaps he won't feel the need?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back