Is this the end of Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

If Daisy's form is good enough to be picked on merit then I don't see what the issue is.
What we'd hope for is the younger crop going past him as they naturally improve. The perfect scenario is that over the season the baton is passed on and sensing this he plays like a guy who knows the end is near, turning back the clock in the odd game or two.
I would hope that through his professionalism and leadership both on the field or training his legacy is at Carlton shifts from the mercenary that took the cash under Malthouse to the team focused professional that guided the next crop onto great things. Knocking back the contract clause last year was a start. Completing the job in 2018 would erase any ill feeling I may have had in the past.

Does he work harder than others though? When you look at the physique of someone like Kerridge and compare it to Thomas you can't possibly say that Thomas works harder, Thomas' skinny arms and legs suggest he doesn't spend all that much time in the gym. Also, if he works so hard, how come he finds it so difficult to execute basic skills in games.

I can see the merit in keeping him on for another year for experience/leadership, but I would hope he plays no more than 10 games during the season. I just don't think he is AFL standard anymore. Having said that, Bolton seems to love him and I would not be surprised if he plays most games in the seniors.
Genetics.

Wish I could pack muscle on as easy as some without using roids.

Genetics.

Wish I could pack muscle on as easy as some without using roids.

Touché.

I still don’t want to see him in the team though. He is an outside mid who no longer knows how to kick, struggles to win his own ball and rarely tackles. I just can’t see the value in playing him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Touché.

I still don’t want to see him in the team though. He is an outside mid who no longer knows how to kick, struggles to win his own ball and rarely tackles. I just can’t see the value in playing him.

It's all about building the culture - he will be replaced eventually, even he isn't guaranteed a game every week as we saw last season.

Daisy is worth more on the field than Graham.

Even though both should not be considered best 22 in 2018 and if they are it is worrying times.

Daisy is worthless on the field. His best days are well behind him. He had a consistent season last year but it was at a sub-AFL standard which is one of the reasons why we lost as many games as we did.

Graham is unlikely to become a valuable player at this stage but the Beast reminds us all to be careful not to write off anyone (Daisy being too old to worry about). Who knows whether, with improved quality around him, he might find a spot that makes him a valuable contributor. Is he on revealed form a downgrade on his namesake Jack (5 games) Graham?

Both Daisy and Graham should be picked on merit, like Jones was. If they are training/playing well enough then they should be selected.

Like you I agree that if either of them is picked at any stage I will be worried about what it means for our youngsters in which I have invested much hope.

Daisy is worthless on the field. His best days are well behind him. He had a consistent season last year but it was at a sub-AFL standard which is one of the reasons why we lost as many games as we did.

Graham is unlikely to become a valuable player at this stage but the Beast reminds us all to be careful not to write off anyone (Daisy being too old to worry about). Who knows whether, with improved quality around him, he might find a spot that makes him a valuable contributor. Is he on revealed form a downgrade on his namesake Jack (5 games) Graham?

Both Daisy and Graham should be picked on merit, like Jones was. If they are training/playing well enough then they should be selected.

Like you I agree that if either of them is picked at any stage I will be worried about what it means for our youngsters in which I have invested much hope.
Fair post, Windy - what I read of it. Some smart-arse has hacked off the last 12 pages.

Touché.

I am happy to defer to Bolts & the MC in relation to his selection/non selection.

With how you have described Thomas you are implying that if he is getting a game it is not based on his football ability therefore Bolts & the MC must be either deliberately not selecting the best 22 or there football knowledge is inferior to yours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daisy may be handy after about 8 rounds. The kids will be feeling the pinch and trying to play through knocks and niggles. Daisy can step in so they can be rested, without us losing too much momentum.

Will likely play a few early games until we start easing the kids in. If he’s happy with that I’d be more than happy to keep him on the list on the cheap for a few more years. Offers a lot off-field and would definitely be a great bloke for kids in the NBs to be around. Handy depth too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back