Is this the last dance for Josh Schache?

Remove this Banner Ad

But let’s see how he goes in the dry before anointing him the new Peter Foster shall we?
David King seems to be pinching your ideas MD. On SEN today he
and Gerard Whately were discussing Schaches performance. Gerard said before Saturday he had felt we would never see Schache in the seniors again and praised his performance. King was more reserved and would not praise him based on one performance in the wet. ( was it wet all night? I thought only in Q1) King said it is easier for a defender in the wet because you always know where the ball is going but in the dry you have the ball going in all different directions and you have to know where your opponent is. He wants to wait and see if Schache is good at this.

This is not an “I told you so “ post as it was not my idea and nothing is proven after only a single game. Years ago on here I posted that there was a saying in football “ gibs and ratbags to the backline”. I heard Jack Dyer use it and it’s meaning was before cutting someone from your list after you had tried everything and you still didn’t think they could make the grade, as a last resort you gave them a run in the backline. I guess the thinking was it was easier to play backline than anywhere else. I think I posted it as part of a Liam Jones discussion but may have that wrong. Anyway my point is there is a reason they are called truisms and hope it works for Schache.

According to Bevo Schache is now primarily a defender.

i am sure expectations for the remainder of the season are not high with the MC, but due to injuries to Gardner and now Keath he will be given next 4 games.

A strong preseason in the gym and training with the backline should give us some good indications if he will make it as KPD.

i am a big fan of his iq and skills but will reserve any judgement until midway through next season. By then we should have a better indication whether he makes it.

I want him to succeed as I rate players with his skill set.

This is not an “I told you so “ post as it was not my idea and nothing is proven after only a single game. Years ago on here I posted that there was a saying in football “ gibs and ratbags to the backline”. I heard Jack Dyer use it and it’s meaning was before cutting someone from your list after you had tried everything and you still didn’t think they could make the grade, as a last resort you gave them a run in the backline. I guess the thinking was it was easier to play backline than anywhere else. I think I posted it as part of a Liam Jones discussion but may have that wrong. Anyway my point is there is a reason they are called truisms and hope it works for Schache.
Bob Murphy called the back half The Men’s Department, meaning the part of the ground where the real work was done, with none of the glory.

Last edited:
How did Schache go in the ruck vs Gawn? Is he better than say Bruce or Young in this role?
Schache followed Jackson into the Ruck and very much played the 2nd Ruck role. He won a couple of taps but would not get near a Gawn and is no better than Bruce or Young. His work around the ground while rucking was good though.

So in 90s parlance, Schache is basically Happy Gilmore right?

After years of trying to make it as a hockey player/forward, turns out he might just be a pretty good golfer/defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been critical for us up forward this finals series. And we know he can still go back to fill a hole with his play reading to intercept. Can probably provide a chop out in the ruck too.

How bloody good has this guy been for us. Will never be a contested beast. But we knew that already.

You can see him growing in confidence, we really need to keep it happening for him !! His goal was good, he moved well and did everything needed in the circumstances, then had the presence to try to and use his body for Smith's goal. It was a close thing (nearly touched), but I suspect he wouldn't have had the thought to do it previously. Hope it continues, as it'll be tougher still this weekend. He'll need to be ready for it...

When he shanked that kick you could see his head drop and he was in a bad place, he really lets those kind of things get to him. He dropped the chest mark after that and it looked like he was done.
Got over it eventually which was good, but has to let those mistakes go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back