Is this the weakest season ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy Dance GIF by FC Red Bull Salzburg

aussierulesrules ..... I have no idea where I found this gif.

The one you posted with the north Melbourne lady was better lol
Aussie Rules Football GIF by NMFCOfficial

There's no clear stand-out team: first half of the season it seemed to be Melbourne, but they've dropped away quite significantly, and have issues scoring. Maybe it's like 2021 and they'll bounce back but last week had me questioning that. Geelong look the strongest atm but they often don't look threatening to me. Just very well coached. Brisbane look shaky and their defence is weak at times, Freo too defensive/low scoring. Sydney at times also lack scoring power..Pies have been lucky. Carlton showed promise but seem at least a year or two off flag contention. All the top 6 sides have lost to those near the bottom of the ladder. Yes, things are more equal, but this seems like the weakest year I can remember. It seems almost any team can beat any other team, there are few sure bets. It's more who can be the least relatively inconsistent, who's the best coached, conditioned etc.

As a contest I don't mind it, mind you. I still find it hard to see anyone other than Geelong or Melbourne win it, but it feels like any top 8 team could peak in finals and take it.
In response to your original premise: no, it's not the weakest season ever, that's just over the top.

Melbourne is still pretty clear favourites for mine; they were dominant last year, and still sit second from the top and would be unbeaten but for a bad month. Whether they are like Essendon in 2001 is yet to be seen.

In terms of seasons with weaker teams at the top - 2020, 2016, 2005-06 and 1993 all come to mind.

I have to admit I wanted Richmond to win in 2017 due to living in Adelaide on 97/98 and not wanting to hear the carry on of a flag... In 2019 I really just wanted a close GF and turned it off by half time and 2020 didnt bother me who won.

I dont hate the tigers either. Have fond memories of going to Melb in the 90s being introduced to their song/crowds it was great.

Saying that even teams I hate with a passion if they wun a flag at the end of the day I find I can deal with it best if I just dip my lid to them, say well played and deserved and move on.

Not worth holding onto all that anger.

Definitely harsher on my own team.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

What victim card? Richmond is easily the most hated team on here, the last 5 years of the main board has just been posts shitting on us and trying to talk down any achievements. You'd think we'd won 3 spoons not 3 flags.

Its fact that Richmond is the most hated team by the afl community, and the rest of the footy world likes nothing more than s**t talking and denigrating Richmond.
Essendon easily the most hated team.

Collingwood's one of the more interesting teams right now and people's opinion of them probably helps frame the strength of the top eight for a lot of people. I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the Pies recent form and 2022 prospects to be honest.

Since they haven't lost now since May and they seem to win thrillers every week, we're starting to see some in the media run with "They just keep finding a way to win, they've forgotten how to lose, they have the confidence if a game is tight that they'll pull it out."

Which is great, but it's probably dulled a bit by the teams that they are just getting over the line against (especially since Queen's Birthday), Adelaide, North Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS. The feeling from me and probably a lot of others is 'shouldn't they not be having close games against these opponents in the first place?'

Anyway, the next four weeks will tell the tale for the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have a flag now. The hunger is gone

Cats won't lose a game for the rest of the season. I think this is the year for them. Best chance in years

One thing I have noticed this year with Melbourne is that almost every single team seems to be playing their best game of the year against us. Most games have been really tough to watch because they are slogs without much excitement. Suggesting we have "lost the hunger" is rubbish. We're statistically a better team than this time last year AND that's with a more competitive league. We haven't even gotten close to peaking this year.

There's no clear stand-out team: first half of the season it seemed to be Melbourne, but they've dropped away quite significantly, and have issues scoring. Maybe it's like 2021 and they'll bounce back but last week had me questioning that. Geelong look the strongest atm but they often don't look threatening to me. Just very well coached. Brisbane look shaky and their defence is weak at times, Freo too defensive/low scoring. Sydney at times also lack scoring power..Pies have been lucky. Carlton showed promise but seem at least a year or two off flag contention. All the top 6 sides have lost to those near the bottom of the ladder. Yes, things are more equal, but this seems like the weakest year I can remember. It seems almost any team can beat any other team, there are few sure bets. It's more who can be the least relatively inconsistent, who's the best coached, conditioned etc.

As a contest I don't mind it, mind you. I still find it hard to see anyone other than Geelong or Melbourne win it, but it feels like any top 8 team could peak in finals and take it.
Says a WCE supporter!

One thing I have noticed this year with Melbourne is that almost every single team seems to be playing their best game of the year against us. Most games have been really tough to watch because they are slogs without much excitement. Suggesting we have "lost the hunger" is rubbish. We're statistically a better team than this time last year AND that's with a more competitive league. We haven't even gotten close to peaking this year.
That’s what happens when you go from the Hunter to hunted
Happened to Hawthorn, Geelong and us. If you win multiple flags in this age it’s a huge thing

I’m hoping the dees can back it up cause I absolutely love Clarry. I think he’s got potential to go down as one of the greatest ever and more premierships will help that quest. Max and Trac are handy running buddies too 👍🏻

Overall I don’t think the league is weak, it’s just very even and it’s hard to standout consistently.
Occasionally we see stand out games but it’s hard to dominate a league when anyone can lose on any given day. It’s the system the afl have wanted since the draft came in. Upsets and changes yearly in the 8 is what’s seen in the nfl and it’s what they want in the afl! We’ve americanised our game but I think it’s better as teams don’t struggle as long as they used to and can rebound quickly. Geelong the exception obviously to the rule

We've won more games than you this year, especially away and it's at Marvel. Besides what the betting odds are, it would be an upset if you win.

Dimma saying he hates Marvel has rubbed off on the players.
Won more than lost at Marvel.
Prefer to be at Richmond Paddock but we still have a positive record at The Freezerdome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back