Is this the worst draft since inception?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh ok, so clubs like the Crows shouldn’t be able to select our academy and FS players (who will all be 2nd or 3rd round picks), because Victorian kids aren’t playing? They’re all still playing state footy over in SA.

There are rarely very few changes to the top 10 during the actual draft year, except for maybe one or two bolters.

It’s not ideal of course, but 18 year olds are still playing in all states and territories outside of Vic. There will be as many stars and busts in this draft as there are any other season.

lol, “not ideal”? More than half the draftees will have missed an entire year of footy, development and training. “Not ideal” would be an extreme understatement.

If there’s F/S and academy picks, I’m sure everybody can come up with a bidding system that involves next years picks or something.

No footy being played in the juniors, no updated data on the kids.

Does this add further salt to the wounds of clubs that are bottoming out? Effectively pick 5-75 would be a blind dart shot.

Or are clubs confident about these kids cause they've followed them for years through academies, father sons, etc?
The most important development year for the draft has been ruined. I reckon it's a real lottery draft even moreso than usual, and the players coming in are going to be on average at a lower starting point than usual.

lol, “not ideal”? More than half the draftees will have missed an entire year of footy, development and training. “Not ideal” would be an extreme understatement.

If there’s F/S and academy picks, I’m sure everybody can come up with a bidding system that involves next years picks or something.
I still don’t quite get what you actually want, are you saying clubs with academy or FS picks need to wait a year to select them?

Recruiters have been following these guys for years, so even though there’s far less data on the prospects they should be able to put together a reasonable table of talent.

Interesting to see what kind of bargain's clubs will get in the later rounds, and what kinds of trades will eventuate. I think plenty of good but not great players will go for mid-range picks, and with the possibility of list reductions clubs will be actively looking to fling players for picks too.
The 1-30 order changes significantly over the final junior year. Bolters, sliders, validations or new concerns. Its a huge concern for recruiters, some teams are going to get really lucky and get amazing value for their picks, others are going to overpay for someone who would be well down the list.

The 1990 AFL draft did not include Vic Metro players as zones in Melbourne were still in operation. Furthermore, the Crows were coming into the competition and had the pick of all the best South Australians prior to the draft.

West Coast had access to the two best WA players (Glen Jakovich and Mitch White) prior to the draft. The Swans and the Bears also had the pick of the best players from NSW, ACT, Qld and NT prior to the draft.

It's not at all comparable to drafts in today's era.

Ahhhh, pretty sure that bit is very comparable to drafts these days...

Oh ok, so clubs like the Crows shouldn’t be able to select our academy and FS players (who will all be 2nd or 3rd round picks), because Victorian kids aren’t playing? They’re all still playing state footy over in SA.

There are rarely very few changes to the top 10 during the actual draft year, except for maybe one or two bolters.

It’s not ideal of course, but 18 year olds are still playing in all states and territories outside of Vic. There will be as many stars and busts in this draft as there are any other season.
This is illogical. the lack of footy means some potential prospects will be lost to professional level footy forever.

there will be less prospectz overall which means the quality will be lower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And people on here say that the crows chose the worst time to have a lot of picks.

Strange about that. Yeah they have A couple of 1st and 2nd rounders.

Saying that, crows will probably focus on the SANFL talent since out of the VFL, SANFL and WAFL, the SANFL played a Proper full season and that will help the crows view the best local talent

Saying that, crows will probably focus on the SANFL talent
If any team did that they'd be long gone.

SA talent has been very average for many years, one draft doesn't make an exception.

Cook played 77 games for 3 clubs, McCartney played 182 games also for 3 clubs, and Clape played 87 games for 2 clubs and is a premiership player
Sounds about right

McCartneys career is well known, but Cookie was a cult figure at the Doggies under Wallace and obviously you would've watched Clape play as a Blues man (left footed half back/back pocket wasn't he?)

The good thing is it’ll change the complexion of the next 3-4 draft periods.

Plenty of talented kids this year that will miss due to lack of exposure but in that 12 months have grown or changed body shape and haven’t had the chance to show off. Lots will head into VFL/ammos/district leagues and strut their stuff. Will actually be great for the standard of lower levels.

That was the Tigers. Finished near bottom for multiple years as GC/GWS were coming in and had to rebuild completely through compromised drafts.
Yes which was also a Godsend for Hawthorns timing, very much kissed on the dick thanks to the new teams as well.
Its about the player pool fed through the draft, & claim about Vic contribution which did not agree with my understanding.

I dont buy the very convenient claim the numbers align, particularly as you havent added a link to support this very specific claim related to place of birth not the draft reference to where kids pay footy.

So Harry, I didnt raise it, smarten up ;)
You are so blind to your Vic hate. Grow up. Thought you may have eased up on the whining a bit with Vic locked down and all of its teams (and now also the NSW 2) at a far bigger disadvantage to the WA SA QLD clubs. And don't start with it being a more level playing field than usual.

Top Ten Picks (2007-2019) Plus Retention and percentage:

GWS Giants: 21, Retained 9 or 42.86%
Gold Coast: 18, Retained 11 or 61.11%
Melbourne: 11, Retained 6 or 54.55%
Sydney: 4, Retained 3 or 75.00%
Adelaide: 4, Retained 2 or 50.00%
Fremantle: 8, Retained 7 or 87.50%
Carlton: 8, Retained 7 or 87.50%
St Kilda: 6, Retained 4 or 66.66%
Western Bulldogs: 6, Retained 4 or 66.66%
Port Adelaide: 6, Retained 3 or 50.00%
North Melbourne: 5, Retained 5 or 100.00%
Brisbane: 9, Retained 3 or 33.33%
Collingwood: 5, Retained 4 or 80.00%
Essendon: 8, Retained 6 or 75.00%
Geelong: 1, Retained 1 or 100.00%
Richmond: 5, Retained 3 or 60.00%
West Coast: 4, Retained 3 or 75.00%

Hawthorn: Zero (Although they did trade in 7 of the other teams Top Ten Picks during this time frame)

I realize this has nothing to do with the thread topic, but it does muse and ponder the draft as a vehicle of equalization for the
competition while also highlighting the need for the northern academies with Brisbane's shocking retention rate.

And don't start with it being a more level playing field than usual.

DaNile. Take a reality pill, the one in the cupboard marked hatred.

Living in greater Melbourne I am very familiar with Covid, its ours to deal with, no one needs to cut us any slack, kids have their mothers skirt to hide under where necessary.

The most important development year for the draft has been ruined. I reckon it's a real lottery draft even moreso than usual, and the players coming in are going to be on average at a lower starting point than usual.

I agree with this. I have no idea if it's a strong/weak crop of players, but it's a raffle given how little 2020 form there is to go on.

I am hoping that all the best player are picked from 30 onward given that's where my team will be entering the draft.

Thing is, not only is it gonna be a crapshoot in terms of who you pick, the players aren’t gonna be ready anyway. They’ve missed a year of footy at a vital physical and educational stage. They’ll be going into AFL clubs having not even played any contact sport for over a year. It’s gonna be a mess.

I agree with this, the need to hold a draft this year is severely diminished. This will be a year where top end picks will bomb in bigger numbers. Kids who played in u16 and bottom age u18 champs generally come away with plenty to work on. Those who do are benefitting from not being exposed this year, some are very highly touted picks. Watching a couple of practice NAB games early this year showed it up. This year is a bogus draft in a lot of ways. I expect you are going to see a high number of list places being taken up prior to the draft and clubs looking more to delisted players than draft prospects. I would can the draft, go to a 19 yo draft for next season.

NGA, Academy F/S picks already aligned does not bother me so much. A number of the NGA kids are not high draft picks anyhow and are highly over rated by clubs. The FS crop will still be FS next season. Perhaps the reason for wanting to pursue a draft this year is so the NGA can be dissolved as they are a major farce and not really doing the job they were implemented to do.

Very pertinent points re no footy for a whole year and going into an AFL system. There are a number of clubs with the exact same fear which is why I expect the delistings will move around and fill most of the list spots this year.

I imagine a large number of WA / SA potentials will sit out this draft anyway as there is a 55% chance of them having to relocate to Victoria.

Would it be considered draft tampering if all the WA and SA nominees declared before the draft that they will not relocate to Victoria if chosen by a Victorian club as they can not provide a safe workplace?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back