Opinion Is this the worst North team ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Lloyd Christmas

Premiership Player
May 5, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hi all.
I'm 41 and this current North team is by far the most uncompetitive team i've seen in my lifetime. (started watching footy early 1990s)

For those amongst us that are older and can remember much further back than I can, have we ever been worse than this? I acknowledge injuries have really hurt us too.

If so, which year would you identify as being at our very worst? This year or another year/period?

Lloyd

• Banned
Imagine how West Coast feels, they're worse than us and with way more mature players.

True (maybe, they have been smashed with Covid this year - they would have beaten us earlier this year) but this is purely North related.

When were we worse?

(serious question, i'm not arguing with you)
Mediocre lists with no young talent. I think we are in better shape “list wise” than we were in the mid 2000’s. Just because we are losing doesn’t mean the list is no good, theres loads of talent in our current list. I reckon its up there with the most talent ive seen in a list since the 90’s.

Factors of young, immature and rudderless is impacting. Oh plus the GOAT inside mid isn’t in the team.

• Banned
Mediocre lists with no young talent. I think we are in better shape “list wise” than we were in the mid 2000’s. Just because we are losing doesn’t mean the list is no good, theres loads of talent in our current list. I reckon its up there with the most talent ive seen in a list since the 90’s.

Factors of young, immature and rudderless is impacting. Oh plus the GOAT inside mid isn’t in the team.

Talent or otherwise on the list is a different discussion, so I can't really agree there.

Laidley's 2000s team would flog what we are producing at the moment.

Talent or otherwise on the list is a different discussion, so I can't really agree there.

Laidley's 2000s team would flog what we are producing at the moment.
Probably, but them mature. LDU could be our best ever performing midfielder in history. You did ask worst North team, the list is the team. Im not sure I can agree. This is why we all are frustrated as supporters. We know what we have, we just want IT NOW!

• Banned
Probably, but them mature. LDU could be our best ever performing midfielder in history. You did ask worst North team, the list is the team. Im not sure I can agree. This is why we all are frustrated as supporters. We know what we have, we just want IT NOW!

I understand your point.

However i'm not asking if our list is better or worse than other years. We clearly have plenty of young talent, but probably the worst senior players I can remember.

I'm simply asking is this the worst team in terms of chances of winning and actual performances you've even seen?

Laidley's teams were hard to watch at times, but bloody tough also.

Weren't good enough but I (nearly) always appreciated the effort as we had plenty of limited but tough hombres in those teams.

For the first time in my life i'm actually embarrassed by how soft, unaccountable and uncompetitive we are.

Consistent effort and shinboner culture seems to have gone completely out the window regardless of our "talented" young(ish) list.

Sure the wheel will turn, i'm just asking on where we are now compared to years gone by.

I understand your point.

However i'm not asking if our list is better or worse than other years. We clearly have plenty of young talent, but probably the worst senior players I can remember.

I'm simply asking is this the worst team in terms of chances of winning and actual performances you've even seen?
Obviously our worst performing team. Don’t agree its the worst list we’ve had.

Obviously our worst performing team. Don’t agree its the worst list we’ve had.

Oh man, I didn't say it's the worst list we've ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why obviously? We had some dark periods before the 1990s

Laidley's teams were hard to watch at times, but bloody tough also.

Weren't good enough but I (nearly) always appreciated the effort as we had plenty of limited but tough hombres in those teams.

For the first time in my life i'm actually embarrassed by how soft, unaccountable and uncompetitive we are.

Consistent effort and shinboner culture seems to have gone completely out the window regardless of our "talented" young(ish) list.

Sure the wheel will turn, i'm just asking on where we are now compared to years gone by.
Footy changed. If this team was playing in Laidley Era, im sure some of these lads would be pretty ******* hard at it. Plus the game is completely different. Standing marks, protected zones 🤷‍♂️ 50’s for dissent, general play rules.. its really difficult to create a comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy changed. If this team was playing in Laidley Era, im sure some of these lads would be pretty ******* hard at it. Plus the game is completely different. Standing marks, protected zones 🤷‍♂️ 50’s for dissent, general play rules.. its really difficult to create a comparison.

It's a difficult comparison I agree but my money is on Laidley's teams beating this group as it currently stands.

Worst performing yes , worst list no been watching since late 70s

Again, I know our list isn't that bad - in fact lots of positives about it. (albeit holes and shocking senior players)

Purely asking is this team the worst you've ever seen play? (for us/North)

They had 13 AFL players in their WAFL side this week and still fit beaten by Claremont. They literally lost to the bye.

Claremont would probably beat us too then........considering WCE nearly beat us (at our home) with less than half an AFL team available.

It's a difficult comparison I agree but my money is on Laidley's teams beating this group as it currently stands.
They’d beat this team 8/10. We should revisit this after the bye and see how the bonding session goes. Bonding sessions can have great impact on trust in team mates. Im glad they did that

Statistically we haven't been this bad since the early 1930's when we finished the 1930 season with one win and a percentage of 51.85% and 1931 when we failed to win a game and finished with a percentage of 50.79%. Whether the current team is worse or not, I can't really say, I wasn't around back then. And neither were my parents.;)

Looking at the some of the results from that time, we suffered three 100+ point defeats including our biggest ever defeat against Richmond (4.7.31-30.19.199), as well as twelve defeats between 50 and 100 points.

I'm surprised Caro wasn't calling for our relocation way back then. Although I haven't check any newspapers to confirm this.

Statistically we haven't been this bad since the early 1930's when we finished the 1930 season with one win and a percentage of 51.85% and 1931 when we failed to win a game and finished with a percentage of 50.79%. Whether the current team is worse or not, I can't really say, I wasn't around back then. And neither were my parents.;)

Looking at the some of the results from that time, we suffered three 100+ point defeats including our biggest ever defeat against Richmond (4.7.31-30.19.199), as well as twelve defeats between 50 and 100 points.

I'm surprised Caro wasn't calling for our relocation way back then. Although I haven't check any newspapers to confirm this.

That's the kind of analysis I was looking for, not how talented our list is etc etc. (no disrespect to posters as maybe my question wasn't clear)

Thank you DEVO

So we are really at the lowest anyone on here could have seen in person?

That's the kind of analysis I was looking for, not how talented our list is etc etc. (no disrespect to posters as maybe my question wasn't clear)

Thank you DEVO

So we are really at the lowest anyone on here could have seen in person?
Perhaps the only other period some here may remember is the early 1970's before Barassi arrived. We won two wooden spoons in three seasons between 1970 and 1972, but unlike this season we were at least competitive. Even 1972 when we won just one game most of the defeats were between 15 and 50 points.

It's not the margins that worry me as much as the way we simply get absolutely steamrolled the second pressure is applied. (whenever the other team applies it)

It is very un-North like and very new to me.

Perhaps the only other period some here may remember is the early 1970's before Barassi arrived. We won two wooden spoons in three seasons between 1970 and 1972, but unlike this season we were at least competitive. Even 1972 when we won just one game most of the defeats were between 15 and 50 points.

Thank you again DEVO

It's interesting you raise that period as my Dad is Collingwood (and said we reminded him of the early 1970s in how bad we are) but it means little as I wasn't even born then!

Dad (who is very sick in hospital) actually thinks this team is worse in terms of being competitive, but he also said the list is (obviously) much better.

They’d beat this team 8/10. We should revisit this after the bye and see how the bonding session goes. Bonding sessions can have great impact on trust in team mates. Im glad they did that

Laidley's teams made two (or was it one?) Prelims mate.

Sure hammered by a better team/s, but they would beat this North team 10/10 and quite easily.

Much tougher and more organised, disciplined than this group which look in complete disarray and no structure whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back