Opinion Is this the worst North team ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

So we magically get better mate as our "list" is talented?
Im not that concerned to be fair. Of course I had higher expectations at the beginning of the year. If Cunners was in the team, I do say it a lot. The team is immediately a 5 goal better. I knew that we’d struggle, my passion outweighed our ability this season. For example, what do we lose by if Hall didn’t play on the weekend? 10 goals? 11 goals? These players make a difference in a slim experienced list.

Im not that concerned to be fair.

I'm bloody concerned as our best player has been unwell and may not play again, Goldstein is finished (as in the future), we have a very ordinary list even though not TOO bad

Its certainly the worst of the AFL era, and in my view in the worst shape as well. I don't even think they are greatly under-performing, the side just is that poor. "Ever" is a harder call. The first few years in the VFL, and some of the very early 1970s, were historically bad. Were they as bad as now?

The current side would beat any of those sides just through improved training techniques and selecting on an even basis from a national pool of players, but after adjusting for the full-time professional era with equalisation policies, it has to be a close run thing for how far behind the main gaggle this sides is.

Its certainly the worst of the AFL era, and in my view in the worst shape as well. I don't even think they are greatly under-performing, the side just is that poor. "Ever" is a harder call. The first few years in the VFL, and some of the very early 1970s, were historically bad. Were they as bad as now?

Of course with modern standards the current team would look better than a 1930/1970s team etc

I'm asking equal training standards etc, just the performance.

I think it's the worst ever but if i'm wrong I accept that.

I'm bloody concerned as our best player has been unwell and may not play again, Goldstein is finished (as in the future), we have a very ordinary list even though not TOO bad
Firstly, he’s the best player in the comp as an inside mid. Secondly, we’ll be right. Its frustrating and its really hard, I get it. We are better off, in the long haul to bottom out knowing we are ordinary that living in some fantasy that we’ll make a GF being mediocre. We’ve signed up to build a big time team and thats what will happen, it’s inevitable

Hi all.
I'm 41 and this current North team is by far the most uncompetitive team i've seen in my lifetime. (started watching footy early 1990s)

For those amongst us that are older and can remember much further back than I can, have we ever been worse than this? I acknowledge injuries have really hurt us too.

If so, which year would you identify as being at our very worst? This year or another year/period?

Lloyd
Been watching since the 60s as a kid. This is the most unbalanced a list as I can remember. It’s nowhere near the worst which I would define by talent. We had some shite teams in the 60s with a couple of good players. Todays list has talent. But no balance where that talent is played. We have plenty in the middle but not much back and not much forward presently. The single thing we lack is a system. I would prefer we play that run and gun style which was around a few years ago but was poor defensively. Currently we are poor defending still but have no score being kicked.

We cut too deep. Undoubtedly. Coach and system is a very big question mark. As is CEO in my view. Something NQR.

Been watching since the 60s as a kid. This is the most unbalanced a list as I can remember. It’s nowhere near the worst which I would define by talent. We had some shite teams in the 60s with a couple of good players. Todays list has talent. But no balance where that talent is played. We have plenty in the middle but not much back and not much forward presently. The single thing we lack is a system. I would prefer we play that run and gun style which was around a few years ago but was poor defensively. Currently we are poor defending still but have no score being kicked.

We cut too deep. Undoubtedly. Coach and system is a very big question mark. As is CEO in my view. Something NQR.
Thank you berniemccarthy

I was hoping for some "older" people with much more wisdom than me.

I appreciate it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside from the numbers, the only season where I felt as disengaged by the performances as 2020-22 was 2006. Laidley had us playing a putrid brand of footy the didn't work and had us playing some really dreary stuff. There was one game around this time of year on a cold foggy day at the MCG against a very ordinary Richmond side and we were getting slowly pumped. I was by myself at the top of the Southern Stand and probably in a bad mood anyway and I recall thinking "Why on Earth am I watching this s**t?" I wasn't angry or frustrated or upset, our crapness totally numbed me. That's where I'm at now except the team is about 10 times worse.
I think back to 2006 and I keep recalling Daniel Pratt or Michael Firritto, against all their instincts stopping dead in their tracks after a mark in the back pocket, holding the ball above their head while the opposition defence got into position. This was usually followed by the ball sailing over their heads for a score 3 disposals later. What a time to have a disposable income for a Legend's Club membership. IMG_20220614_201430_HDR~2.jpg

I did emphasise in brackets (if you can call it form).
I know - the idea of us having any form at all this year just made chuckle. Having said that, I don’t know why we haven’t been able to emulate that Sydney game again. I just want this season to be over.

Started attending North games in 1972. Tough initiation for a 10yo but better times lay ahead. My memory of the Brian Dixon coached team was that we were way down on skill and pretty uncompetitive for the most part pinching our only win on an Arden St bog against Sth Melb.
Today I studied the list and it contained future premiership players/Brownlow medallists like Dench Baker Greig Feltham Gumbleton Montgomery Briedis Farrant Goodingham Kekovich Cowton Henshaw and I wonder why we were so bad. Then I looked at the D.O.B’s. An incredibly young list. Dixon obviously wasn’t the man to lead that group of players to success.
My point is, youth is a huge factor and the right coach is crucial. Not saying that Noble isn’t…yet.
To answer the OP. We were worse back then despite the talent on our list.

The first month of the season was fine all things considered. Two closes losses, a win, and one huge loss. That’s a pattern that we all expected coming into the season.

Since then I think we’ve arguably played the worst nine week stretch in the history of the AFL. To not get within 47 points of our opponents during such a stretch is unheard of. I don’t have the ability to confirm definitively, but a quick look through the fixtures of the worst sides of all time, including University, suggests that it’s never happened.

I’d love to know if this the most any side has been outscored in any nine week stretch ever.

With David Noble looking to be retained, if this nine week stretch of misery becomes 18 weeks, then I think we’ll statistically have some great arguments to being the worst side in AFL history.

I've certainly vented my frustration on various threads on here, but I'm not sure what is to be gained by comparing how bad we suck now to how bad we sucked whenever.

Let's just agree we suck and I'm not sure what the answer is to not sucking atm.

Started attending North games in 1972. Tough initiation for a 10yo but better times lay ahead. My memory of the Brian Dixon coached team was that we were way down on skill and pretty uncompetitive for the most part pinching our only win on an Arden St bog against Sth Melb.
Today I studied the list and it contained future premiership players/Brownlow medallists like Dench Baker Greig Feltham Gumbleton Montgomery Briedis Farrant Goodingham Kekovich Cowton Henshaw and I wonder why we were so bad. Then I looked at the D.O.B’s. An incredibly young list. Dixon obviously wasn’t the man to lead that group of players to success.
My point is, youth is a huge factor and the right coach is crucial. Not saying that Noble isn’t…yet.
To answer the OP. We were worse back then despite the talent on our list.
Yes along comes Barrasi rest is history. That’s where Clarkson comes in .🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Well in my lifetime it clearly is.

Just a complete and utter rabble.

The thread I started was more to try and compare to years past, so yes I think now we must be very close.

The L streak is at 14....what's the all time record?

It feels like the team has become one of those country clubs that's don't win for multiple years. I genuinely don't see when our next win is, even next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back