Opinion Is this where Carlton drops away? 2023 version

Are Carlton going to drop away from here?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So "it's an emphatic yes" now becomes situational, one that didn't encompass the ebbs and flow of an entire season
So it's clear that it wasn't emphatic
Go back and read the OP of this thread. It correctly predicts a drop off in performance that includes losses to Brisbane, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Sydney, Melbourne and Essendon. The "emphatic yes" was a response to the question asked in the OP.

All interesting opinions, but even if we lose, the end result suggests we haven't dropped away, it just confirms what many predicted, that we would win 13-15 games and make the bottom half of the 8
Predictions relating to Carlton changed a fair bit this year so it's really important to point out what time you're referring to. I was referring to predictions prior to the GWS game when they were on a 9 game winning streak.

Massive upset there lol
"Unexpected loss" was the wording I used. If you're paying $1.70 then you're expected to win.

Go back and read the OP of this thread. It correctly predicts a drop off in performance that includes losses to Brisbane, Bulldogs, Collingwood, Sydney, Melbourne and Essendon. The "emphatic yes" was a response to the question asked in the OP.
The thread isn't titled, "Is this when Carlton goes on a rollercoaster season"

Drop away suggests there will be no turnaround. Analysis in the now is so simplistic

Predictions relating to Carlton changed a fair bit this year so it's really important to point out what time you're referring to. I was referring to predictions prior to the GWS game when they were on a 9 game winning

Many, like me predicted 13-15 wins before the start of the season

As for the last game of the round, any pleb could have predicted that outcome come the start of the game, well anyone with a feel for the game

We had nothing to play for, as we were locked in 5th

GWS needed to win to play finals

So, after the H&A season, we met expectations

It is interesting though how invested you are in this thread, especially now making predictions first week of finals like it has some bearing on the outcome of the OP

Does Voss deserve an extension after the last few months? Clearly performed like a top 4 team despite fierce media scrutiny and a wretched injury run.

They're still an improving list and no coach has got Carlton playing like this since under Ratten in 2011 and early 2012. They sacked him incredibly harshly and it worked out like crap.

I feel like a 2-year extension could help them focus on improving next year and not have Voss be the centre of attention if they have a poor month at some point.

Does Voss deserve an extension after the last few months? Clearly performed like a top 4 team despite fierce media scrutiny and a wretched injury run.

They're still an improving list and no coach has got Carlton playing like this since under Ratten in 2011 and early 2012. They sacked him incredibly harshly and it worked out like crap.

I feel like a 2-year extension could help them focus on improving next year and not have Voss be the centre of attention if they have a poor month at some point.

Yes, I would extend him prior to the start of next season.

Currently OOC at the end of next season, and we know it's likely to be an unnecessary circus should we not start next year as well as we would be expected to.

Drop away suggests there will be no turnaround. Analysis in the now is so simplistic
Not necessarily. The OP simply pointed out the draw for that six week period and suggested there could be a decent amount of losses (which there was). I think it's safe to say anyone who said they predicted the 9 wins that followed would be lying but the OP didn't comment one way or another on what would happen after the Essendon game.

As for the last game of the round, any pleb could have predicted that outcome come the start of the game, well anyone with a feel for the game
Uh huh. Go back to the game day thread and look at what people were posting when they found out GWS's AA key defender was a late out. I think you'll be surprised.

It is interesting though how invested you are in this thread, especially now making predictions first week of finals like it has some bearing on the outcome of the OP
Carlton's season has been a fascinating rollercoaster ride to watch as a neutral. I cannot think of any other recent team that's done something similar. Particularly if they lose the elimination final to Sydney.

Yeah I see then dropping away here. They will last at most 4 more matches.

Not necessarily. The OP simply pointed out the draw for that six week period and suggested there could be a decent amount of losses (which there was). I think it's safe to say anyone who said they predicted the 9 wins that followed would be lying but the OP didn't comment one way or another on what would happen after the Essendon game.
The at this point in time analysis/prediction

Uh huh. Go back to the game day thread and look at what people were posting when they found out GWS's AA key defender was a late out. I think you'll be surprised.
Didn't sway my thoughts on the outcome

Carlton's season has been a fascinating rollercoaster ride to watch as a neutral. I cannot think of any other recent team that's done something similar.
Yes, fascinating like many sides

Particularly if they lose the elimination final to Sydney.

Again, nothing to do with this thread, and your definitive prediction which over time has shown to be a major fail

But, keep doubling down thinking it rectifies any prediction of a slide

Again, nothing to do with this thread, and your definitive prediction which over time has shown to be a major fail

But, keep doubling down thinking it rectifies any prediction of a slide
It depends on how you choose to look at it. There was definitely a slide during that 6 game losing streak - that's undeniable. Then there was an even bigger rise which has made their season so interesting/unpredictable from a neutral perspective. Then to top it all off they end the season with a loss. Now they go into a home elimination final against the Swans as $1.50 favourites (currently) and are expected to advanced to at least the second week of the finals. It's been a bizarre season for the Blues and it may still include another surprise or two from here.

I know you think I've just been constantly death riding Carlton in this thread but if you go back through the history you'll see I've had many positive posts that praise the Blues for turning their season around and it's really been more of a running commentary of their season as a whole:

AFTER THE R17 FREMANTLE WIN
Could still be some life in the Bluebaggers. Huge game against Port this week and a win will put them right back in the mix.
AFTER THE R18 PORT ADELAIDE WIN
There's more than life in the Blues now! Perhaps one of the most confusing yo-yo seasons we've ever seen and who knows if there are still a few more twists and turns to come for Carlton this year.
AFTER THE R21 ST KILDA WIN
One more win should seal it for the Blues. The Dees are in pretty good form and the Giants seem capable of upsetting any team at the moment. It could very well come down to Carlton's trip to the Gold Coast in a fortnight from now.
ON THE EVE OF THE R22 MELBOURNE GAME
If Carlton beat the Dees and earn a finals spot in the process then they will have earned it. Can't deny that.
AFTER THE R22 MELBOURNE WIN
Gee whiz. Carlton grind out another one and most likely seal finals in the process. Impressive stuff but the Fox Footy panellists are saying they still need another win to clinch September action. I don't agree though. 12.5 wins with a good percentage should be enough.
AFTER THE R23 WIN AGAINST MY SUNS
It's done mate. You can relax.

Well done Carlton. Too good today and have proven they're deserving September participants over the last two months.

Funny how the premise of this thread was true in a year that Carlton end up playing finals. What a rollercoaster ride for the Blues.

It depends on how you choose to look at it. There was definitely a slide during that 6 game losing streak - that's undeniable. Then there was an even bigger rise which has made their season so interesting/unpredictable from a neutral perspective. Then to top it all off they end the season with a loss. Now they go into a home elimination final against the Swans as $1.50 favourites (currently) and are expected to advanced to at least the second week of the finals. It's been a bizarre season for the Blues and it may still include another surprise or two from here.

I know you think I've just been constantly death riding Carlton in this thread but if you go back through the history you'll see I've had many positive posts that praise the Blues for turning their season around and it's really been more of a running commentary of their season as a whole:

AFTER THE R17 FREMANTLE WIN

AFTER THE R18 PORT ADELAIDE WIN

AFTER THE R21 ST KILDA WIN

ON THE EVE OF THE R22 MELBOURNE GAME

AFTER THE R22 MELBOURNE WIN

AFTER THE R23 WIN AGAINST MY SUNS
Running commentary is not unusual

We were never as bad as our losing streak nor as good as our winning streak.

The loss in the last round has no bearing whatsoever leading into finals

Whether we win or lose next week, also has no bearing on the OP, making finals and or winning more games, with this list was always the expectation, so this 2023 thread is a definite "no" we didn't drop away, especially considering we only won 12 games last year

But no doubt, a 2024 version will appear

Running commentary is not unusual

We were never as bad as our losing streak nor as good as our winning streak.

The loss in the last round has no bearing whatsoever leading into finals

Whether we win or lose next week, also has no bearing on the OP, making finals and or winning more games, with this list was always the expectation, so this 2023 thread is a definite "no" we didn't drop away, especially considering we only won 12 games last year

But no doubt, a 2024 version will appear
I disagree on the Giants' loss having no bearing on next week as I think momentum has been a big part of Carlton's revival this season but if you see it differently then you're entitled to that opinion. I think you're right in saying the Blues were never as bad as that losing streak suggested, but were also probably not as good as their winning streak suggested. Hence the reason I think momentum (both positive and negative) has been a defining characteristic of Carlton's season to date.

The answer to the OP/thread title really comes down to interpretation until it's confirmed otherwise by the author. It doesn't make any mention of finals or bettering last year's record, it just simply points out 6 "pretty tough" upcoming games (that Carlton lost) and then asks "is this where Carlton drops away?" Did the OP mean losing all 6 games? Did the OP mean dropping out of the 8? Did the OP missing finals this season? Who knows. It comes down to your interpretation until it's confirmed by the OP.

I disagree on the Giants' loss having no bearing on next week as I think momentum has been a big part of Carlton's revival this season but if you see it differently then you're entitled to that opinion. I think you're right in saying the Blues were never as bad as that losing streak suggested, but were also probably not as good as their winning streak suggested. Hence the reason I think momentum (both positive and negative) has been a defining characteristic of Carlton's season to date.

The answer to the OP/thread title really comes down to interpretation until it's confirmed otherwise by the author. It doesn't make any mention of finals or bettering last year's record, it just simply points out 6 "pretty tough" upcoming games (that Carlton lost) and then asks "is this where Carlton drops away?" Did the OP mean losing all 6 games? Did the OP mean dropping out of the 8? Did the OP missing finals this season? Who knows. It comes down to your interpretation until it's confirmed by the OP.

Keep clutching, as not even the biggest troll would think us finishing in finals would be a drop off on last year, or compared to an expected finish this year

Keep clutching, as not even the biggest troll would think us finishing in finals would be a drop off on last year, or compared to an expected finish this year
I can't believe he went with that post, trolling or pretty dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're going round in circles here. I give an opinion/interpretation, you say it's not valid, then I try to explain how I came to that opinion/interpretation and you say I'm clutching or being a troll.

What exactly do you have such a big issue with? The suggestion that losing to the Swans next week would be below what people are currently expecting Carlton to achieve this season? For the record, I'm not suggesting Carlton have failed this season. Finals was the goal and the Blues achieved that which should be commended (I personally commended them several times as detailed in the post above).

Now if you want to have a different discussion about lack of finals experience possibly costing them against 2022 finalists Sydney then that would be valid reasoning if Carlton were to lose next week but I've only based my opinion on the betting odds + ladder positions at this stage.

I think you want me to be a troll more than you actually believe it. Just because someone has a differing opinion doesn't mean they're a troll and I pointed out in my last post that you're entitled to an opinion that's different to mine. We've got another Carlton fan in this thread stating that the Blues are "in the box seat" for the flag. That's his/her opinion, no matter how hyperbolic that may come across.

We're going round in circles here. I give an opinion/interpretation, you say it's not valid, then I try to explain how I came to that opinion/interpretation and you say I'm clutching or being a troll.

What exactly do you have such a big issue with? The suggestion that losing to the Swans next week would be below what people are currently expecting Carlton to achieve this season? For the record, I'm not suggesting Carlton have failed this season. Finals was the goal and the Blues achieved that which should be commended (I personally commended them several times as detailed in the post above).

Now if you want to have a different discussion about lack of finals experience possibly costing them against 2022 finalists Sydney then that would be valid reasoning if Carlton were to lose next week but I've only based my opinion on the betting odds + ladder positions at this stage.

I think you want me to be a troll more than you actually believe it. Just because someone has a differing opinion doesn't mean they're a troll and I pointed out in my last post that you're entitled to an opinion that's different to mine. We've got another Carlton fan in this thread stating that the Blues are "in the box seat" for the flag. That's his/her opinion, no matter how hyperbolic that may come across.

Just focus on the thread title, my answer and I suspect most reasonable posters would answer "no"

Think we are done in this thread

Blueshakers must be feeling a bit nervy….

Premiers in August

It has to be this year - with Cripps, McGovern another year older.

Looking the goods until form started to drop off 3 weeks ago. A few key injuries. Big loss to fellow struggler GWS

Fluky performances against the worst form teams in the competition.

First massive test of their finals coming up.

Will Acres play? Looks like Silvagni will miss again.

Getting very nervy for The Blueshakers.

Just focus on the thread title, my answer and I suspect most reasonable posters would answer "no"

Think we are done in this thread
Why would you only focus on the thread title when the context provided in the original post is freely available? Is it because you want your interpretation to be correct and mine to be wrong?

While we're on the topic of context, you quoted my "emphatic yes" post more than two months after it was written and compared it with a post in August to insinuate a contradiction but didn't provide context of when those posts were written. I quoted the original post (not the thread title) and gave an opinion in mid-June and below is the full context of the post without your cherry picking of information. Context is important, ladies and gentlemen.

DzuybNg.jpg

Why would you only focus on the thread title when the context provided in the original post is freely available? Is it because you want your interpretation to be correct and mine to be wrong?

While we're on the topic of context, you quoted my "emphatic yes" post more than two months after it was written and compared it with a post in August to insinuate a contradiction but didn't provide context of when those posts were written. I quoted the original post (not the thread title) and gave an opinion in mid-June and below is the full context of the post without your cherry picking of information. Context is important, ladies and gentlemen.

DzuybNg.jpg

Thread title question, answer equals no

Premiers in August

Looking the goods until form started to drop off 3 weeks ago. A few key injuries. Big loss to fellow struggler GWS

Hey GIF

Thread title question, answer equals no
Here we go again. Round and round in circles with you.

Let's try something different. Do you expect Carlton to beat Sydney next week and, if so, how do you rate their chances against Collingwood/Melbourne in the semi-final?

Premiers in August

This was copied from a Carlton supporter. Not good enough to come up with your own material so you plagiarise, eh?

Back