Opinion Is this where Carlton drops away?

Are Carlton going to drop away from here?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
But if you win today you’ve made to 4
Sure, and the double chance is great. But if we win today and lose next week we'll finish 3rd, playing either Melbourne or Brisbane at the Gabba (undesirable). If we win both we get top 2, securing both a double chance and a home qualifying final

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Great call Mate, deserves recognition as like many, I thought the Dees would win comfortably
Kudos to coach Voss in getting them up for the game. Personally I think that I’m fire they showed was temporary after the Cripps appeal and such a poor showing the two weeks previous.

To come with the same intent two weeks in a row would belie their current ladder position and season form.

I’m less confident of them doing this next week as I was for the Melb game.

But you never know, it would be a big development moment for them if they did.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Sure, and the double chance is great. But if we win today and lose next week we'll finish 3rd, playing either Melbourne or Brisbane at the Gabba (undesirable). If we win both we get top 2, securing both a double chance and a home qualifying final
If you finish 3rd or 4th and play Melbourne or Geelong at the g what’s the difference?

Worm4

Premiership Player
May 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Bottom 6 win the flags. Who were the weak Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond players ?
Carltons bottom 6 is garbage. Its used to be a bottom 12 , but now it's a bottom 6. Hopefully next year it will only be a bottom 2. The list build is improving. Blues will be ok in a year or 2 when they are expected to have a realistic crack a flag. Natural improvement was all the club ever asked of the group from last year - they have achieved that.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I still don't rate Voss yet.

The list has the top end talent. But the defense structure is fairly average, teams like Port, Hawthorn and Adelaide have got a run on against them when the momentum has switched.

Perhaps a pass for 2022 as he hasn't had much time, would expect great improvement in 2023. Also need to have a 1 out 1 in game style where the odd injury doesn't ruin defensive structures at stoppages or in d50.

I thought Voss had Goodwin in his back pocket for that last quarter. Carlton controlled the quarter with the majority of it played in their half, Demons struggled to get forward of centre at all, and the Blues just failed to ice it. Melksham taking that mark in between 3 Carlton defenders is not a coaching issue.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I thought Voss had Goodwin in his back pocket for that last quarter. Carlton controlled the quarter with the majority of it played in their half, Demons struggled to get forward of centre at all, and the Blues just failed to ice it. Melksham taking that mark in between 3 Carlton defenders is not a coaching issue.

Yeah, that's on the players for sure. Fatigue, pressure, tightening up. Carlton don't seem to be good at it.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
It was definitely (in my opinion) the on-field leadership that let Carlton down. I don't want to be a boastful Pies fan, but in tight situations our leaders are consistently making good decisions

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
At least you were brave last night Juddernaut08 La Dispute

Must be a strange feeling watching a team be in the 8 fir 22 rounds and on the verge of not playing finals.. Guess the premise of the thread is accurate that Carlton were always going to fall away..

‘Juddernaut08 has disliked your post’

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The list has the top end talent. But the defense structure is fairly average, teams like Port, Hawthorn and Adelaide have got a run on against them when the momentum has switched.

Perhaps a pass for 2022 as he hasn't had much time, would expect great improvement in 2023. Also need to have a 1 out 1 in game style where the odd injury doesn't ruin defensive structures at stoppages or in d50.
Voss has them playing a hard, tough style in contests.

Which is not a bad thing. It's a strength that will get you over plenty of teams.

But I'm not seeing heaps outside of that.

I'm feeling a bit of a one dimension vibe.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Bottom 6 win the flags. Who were the weak Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond players ?
You also have to ask how many injuries they had. Not Carlton related but if one team is full strength and another has 5 injuries then you are comparing a bottom 6 compared to a bottom 11.
Last night Carlton were missing 4 best 22 players, Melbourne 1? You would naturally expect our bottom 6 to be weaker as it’s not even a proper comparison.

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
These sort of heart breakers are all part of the journey to glory. Half of Richmond's dynasty were humiliated by Carmichael f**king Hunt

Blues list is IMO easily the scariest in terms of potential. As others have pointed out, get a bit more class in the bottom 6-10 players, tune the game-plan & all of sudden I can see them rampaging

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
These sort of heart breakers are all part of the journey to glory. Half of Richmond's dynasty were humiliated by Carmichael f**king Hunt

Blues list is IMO easily the scariest in terms of potential. As others have pointed out, get a bit more class in the bottom 6-10 players, tune the game-plan & all of sudden I can see them rampaging
How so?

I would definitely give Sydney that label.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You also have to ask how many injuries they had. Not Carlton related but if one team is full strength and another has 5 injuries then you are comparing a bottom 6 compared to a bottom 11.
Last night Carlton were missing 4 best 22 players, Melbourne 1? You would naturally expect our bottom 6 to be weaker as it’s not even a proper comparison.

Hawks in 2014 were smashed by injuries and even lost the coach for 5 games.

The fact we batted so deep is why we did well.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Hawks in 2014 were smashed by injuries and even lost the coach for 5 games.

The fact we batted so deep is why we did well.
This has been talked about on here. You had the majority of your injuries when you played the poor sides in the middle of the season. Didn’t have to play a top 8 side when you had those half a dozen or so injuries

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The heat hasn't really been on him until the last few weeks and he doesn't seem to be getting the response you'd want:

R16 (5th) - L to St Kilda (10th) by 15 points
R17 (5th) - W over West Coast (17th) by 63 points
R18 (5th) - L to Geelong (1st) by 30 points
R19 (7th) - W over GWS (15th) by 36 points
R20 (7th) - L to Adelaide (16th) by 29 points

R21 (7th) - L to Brisbane (5th) by 33 points
R22 (7th) - L to Melbourne (3rd) by 5 points
R23 - TBD with Collingwood

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
At least you were brave last night Juddernaut08 La Dispute

Must be a strange feeling watching a team be in the 8 fir 22 rounds and on the verge of not playing finals.. Guess the premise of the thread is accurate that Carlton were always going to fall away..
You want to hope that things go your way next week mate or this post might come back to bite you on the bum.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
You want to hope that things go your way next week mate or this post might come back to bite you on the bum.

Look. still a very real possibility of Carlton making finals, but apparently winning finals is the main aim of playing / following AFL clubs, os so I am told

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This has been talked about on here. You had the majority of your injuries when you played the poor sides in the middle of the season. Didn’t have to play a top 8 side when you had those half a dozen or so injuries

Mitchell, Gibson and Rioli all missed 8 or 10 games.

A number of other players missed a bunch of games at different times.

I dont think our draw saw us playing 8 or 10 easy games in a row.

Back