Opinion Is this where Carlton drops away?

Are Carlton going to drop away from here?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies for having to be the one to break this to you….

You already mortgaged your future getting Martin McGovern and Williams, to name but a small selection of monumental far cups.

I thought you knew.

Martin and gov front loaded (also only contracted for next year) so we are fine.

Appreciate the concern though.

Port going nicely, would be pretty cool if both those things happened

Port were always a big chance today.

It happens every year and people seem to assume that all results will go as expected after about R12, and that all sides 2 games out of the 8 won’t win another game against anyone above them, which never happens.

Port going nicely, would be pretty cool if both those things happened
Football needs actual big teams in the finals.

Really, and I don't want to sound alarmist here, it is up to Carlton and Collingwood to save football.

Football needs actual big teams in the finals.

Really, and I don't want to sound alarmist here, it is up to Carlton and Collingwood to save football.
I'm a long-term thinker, I think you need to build up and give more exposure to the sides without the huge supporter bases, maybe even give them the odd Friday night game

The draw as it is each year guarantees that the smaller clubs will always struggle

If they are smart they will sack “Vossy.” It just depends exactly how good the Beyond Blues want to be Arr0w. 😉

But you are being deliberately deceptive confusing my clearly tongue in cheek posts with my serious analysis.

The Blues window is now. Whatever you achieve is probably happening in the next 4 years or so. It would be such a shame to see you waste that by sticking with a loser head coach who went to loser finishing school at Port Adelaide to round out his education.

You’ve already missed out on Longmuir, Mitchell, McRae and Nicks, blokes that look like they can actually coach. There may be another bright young thing out there if you act rapidly - for example by draft night. 😁

So is this tongue in cheek or serious, ummm analysis?

If it's serious think it's poor form using a mental health organisation to make a point, you are way better than that MR

Missed out on those coaches? Nah, they are doing a great job, but like us, they have some speed humps to navigate

Should be fun over the next few years, hope the Tigers are still strong over that period

So is this tongue in cheek or serious, ummm analysis?

If it's serious think it's poor form using a mental health organisation to make a point, you are way better than that MR

Missed out on those coaches? Nah, they are doing a great job, but like us, they have some speed humps to navigate

Should be fun over the next few years, hope the Tigers are still strong over that period

I would have thought an organisation that deals with people feeling low is a reasonable reference for a team whose supporters are gutted they just lost a match to a big rival Arr0w. It is a light-hearted pun, not some sinister insult to Beyond Blue and the people they seek to help.

Regarding whether I am being tongue in cheek or serious with my post….let me see how things unfold then I will tell you. 😉

Seriously, nobody can know the precise effect Voss will have on the Blues in their window. Things I have liked about him so far he seems to keep a clear focus on what matters and not getting distracted by other rubbish. Things I am less sure on, the game plan, especially reliance on monopolising the midfield, the Port style desire to close games down when well ahead at half time. At the end of the day I don’t think Voss was a clever footballer, he relied heavily on his physical abilities to forge his great reputation as a player. And I have never seen anything in his coaching to suggest he is a clever coach.

Could be wrong, time will tell.

Tigers should be ok, but unless we burgle something this season in a comp that will likely be won by a team that gets a good run at the right time, we are not likely to be major contenders for the next 2-3 years. I think you will be wrestling with Demons, Bulldogs, Lions and possibly later teams like Suns, and Bombers, and it seems Dockers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought an organisation that deals with people feeling low is a reasonable reference for a team whose supporters are gutted they just lost a match to a big rival Arr0w. It is a light-hearted pun, not some sinister insult to Beyond Blue and the people they seek to help.

Regarding whether I am being tongue in cheek or serious with my post….let me see how things unfold then I will tell you. 😉

Seriously, nobody can know the precise effect Voss will have on the Blues in their window. Things I have liked about him so far he seems to keep a clear focus on what matters and not getting distracted by other rubbish. Things I am less sure on, the game plan, especially reliance on monopolising the midfield, the Port style desire to close games down when well ahead at half time. At the end of the day I don’t think Voss was a clever footballer, he relied heavily on his physical abilities to forge his great reputation as a player. And I have never seen anything in his coaching to suggest he is a clever coach.

Could be wrong, time will tell.

Tigers should be ok, but unless we burgle something this season in a comp that will likely be won by a team that gets a good run at the right time, we are not likely to be major contenders for the next 2-3 years. I think you will be wrestling with Demons, Bulldogs, Lions and possibly later teams like Suns, and Bombers, and it seems Dockers.
Whether in jest or not, using a mental health reference is never appropriate, just let it go, you are solid poster, so no need to even include it in any debate, rebuttal or even jibe, you are way better than than mate, so lets move on

The gameplan is super basic, just trying to ensure we were more competitive, strong in contested possession and as Voss has indicated many times, layers will be added to improve effectiveness in other aspects of the game

I have covered coaches ad nauseam, the majority fall within a tight range of quality and it is always about the list. What a coach was like as a player has nothing to do with their ability to coach, Pagan was a battler at best, Clarko was average, Jeans and now Fagan who has never played at the highest level, again the list. Even Clarko at the same club, with and without the talent, the results are poles apart

Voss, like all coaches, plays a lesser role in reaching ultimate glory, when it comes to other football departments. Parkin, who won 4 flags as a coach, stated that the order of importance within a club, in order is, recruitment/list management, fitness/high performance, development, then coaching.

So, while the coaching group continues to evolve our gameplan and tactics, what we need, to reach the next level is to address our weaknesses, which are the thinnest spine numbers in the league, speed across the park, especially around stoppages and improved foot skills

I stated at the start of the season, that I believed this group was capable of achieving 11-13 wins, nothing more, then prior to the Pies game I updated that to 13-15, but losing Weitering probably suggests 12-13 is now our mark. Whether that is enough for finals, time will tell, but we are on an upward trend over the next few years given the composition of our list/age

Beyond this year, as stated above, unless we address those weaknesses, we could continue to play finals for the next few years, without ever being a real contender

Last edited:
Carlton have injuries for the first time in 30 years welcome to the club of competing for finals.

You haven't been paying attention. I mean, we know that McKay and Curnow have played together about 40 odd times out of 140 odd opportunities. We know that Docherty did his knee two years running and had two bouts of cancer. We know that Marchbank hadn't played in 3 years and got injured first game back. They are just the long term ones. I mean ... seriously.

The fixture was fairly kind to the Blues before tonight and their remaining nine games are against Fremantle (3rd) @ Marvel, St Kilda (6th) @ Marvel, West Coast (18th) @ Optus, Geelong (5th) @ MCG, GWS (13th) @ Marvel, Adelaide (15th) @ Adelaide Oval, Brisbane (1st) @ Gabba, Melbourne (2nd) @ MCG and Collingwood (9th) @ MCG. If you consider Collingwood a top 8 team like they were a few hours ago then 6 of Carlton's last 9 are against top 8 teams with potential tricky trips Adelaide and Perth thrown in the mix as well. Those last 3 fixtures against Brisbane away, Melbourne at the G and Collingwood at the G look particularly tough for a team that will likely be in a race for a top 8 spot by that point. Injuries are also becoming a big problem for the Blues.

You probably need 13 wins to guarantee finals this year so Carlton need to find another 4 wins this season. Can they do it or will they fall away from here?

200.gif

Never in doubt after this thread was made.
Thank you mate :) :carlton:

Blues are legit. Will finish top 4. Tough run home but will have their best team when it matters.

Smashed Freo today and had 5-7 best 22 out including Weitering, Cerra, Williams, Martin and pittonet. Their list build has been perfect the last 3 years. They just needed the right coach. Voss is that man. Building a very strong culture and getting the best out of the players each week.

They will have a good window over the next 5 years to challenge and win their next premiership/s. Their best players are all in the perfect age bracket.

West Coast very competitive against Geelong today.

Not sure I'd be penciling that game in as a W if I were a Carlton supporter...
Carlton beating a top four side in a game most people thought they'd lose easily.

Not sure I'd be pencilling Carlton-related threads as a T(roll) if I were Fadge...

Back