Is time Australia went Republic.

Remove this Banner Ad

From my perspective? Not for something like this. If a party or parties take changing to a Republic to an election then yes. If before the next federal election one or both parties said that during this 3 year term we will become a republic and we will select how things are done then fair enough.
We vote them in to do a lot worse things to us than pick a president

As usual it is only your opinion that counts,community leader indeed.
Your opinion matters just the same, if you're not interested in a referendum on being a republic then don't you want to know what you're rejecting before you make that choice, or give the republicans a chance to convince you?

Let's assume we 100% agree on Australia becoming the Australian People's Republic of Australia.

Do we want to choose our head of state? Should we vote for the President directly?

Should we use this opportunity change the constitution to include a Bill of Rights?
If so, it would allow us to enshrine things like housing, healthcare, education as secured rights in Australia.
Nobody will choose anyone. Eddie Mcpres has his name all over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we even need a President? Just make it law that the AEC calls a Federal election if a Government can't pass supply.

If we do go for a President, then make the role have minimal powers. Not one that has the power to block any legislation passed by Parliament. The last thing we need is one thinking they are more than just a figurehead. Also one that can't dismiss a government unless supply is blocked, but one that in turn can't be dismissed by the government, without a two-thirds majority of both houses (so you don't have to have a Kerr hiding, so he can dismiss Whitlam before Whitlam dismisses him).

Do we even need a President? Just make it law that the AEC calls a Federal election if a Government can't pass supply.

If we do go for a President, then make the role have minimal powers. Not one that has the power to block any legislation passed by Parliament. The last thing we need is one thinking they are more than just a figurehead. Also one that can't dismiss a government unless supply is blocked, but one that in turn can't be dismissed by the government, without a two-thirds majority of both houses (so you don't have to have a Kerr hiding, so he can dismiss Whitlam before Whitlam dismisses him).
Like any party will make that law

Have a referendum first on becoming a republic Yes or No.

Then have five years or so to debate the alternatives regarding presidents, flag, etc and then have another vote to finalise that.
This always seems like a contrivance designed purely to get the Yes vote over the line, rather than an effective way to understand the wishes of the electorate.

I think it is fair and reasonable to expect that when you ask people to choose something as significant as a method of governance, you put the options that they're choosing between on the table at the beginning.

Whether that's one republican model going head to head against the current system (as in 1999) or a range of models presented with ranked choice voting (similar to elections for the HoR) I don't really mind. But I abhor the idea of people voting to ditch the current constitution before knowing what is going to replace it (and I don't think it's a recipe for economic or political stability).

This always seems like a contrivance designed purely to get the Yes vote over the line, rather than an effective way to understand the wishes of the electorate.

I think it is fair and reasonable to expect that when you ask people to choose something as significant as a method of governance, you put the options that they're choosing between on the table at the beginning.

Whether that's one republican model going head to head against the current system (as in 1999) or a range of models presented with ranked choice voting (similar to elections for the HoR) I don't really mind. But I abhor the idea of people voting to ditch the current constitution before knowing what is going to replace it (and I don't think it's a recipe for economic or political stability).
If a simple yes/no in your view is a contrivance to get a yes response, I would argue throwing every issue under the sun into the mix is just a contrivance to see a no vote.

Reported thread, Treasonous dogs
Snitch!

Leave the UN and refuse to adhere to any of the international charters and conventions we have signed?

What involvement has Britain had here over the last 44 years ?
Yeah because we have such a good record on human rights currently don't we?

To your second point, exactly why they shouldn't have the opportunity to have a say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back