Is Toby Nankervis A Top 10 Ruckman Of The Competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, who cares if a player in 1 of the 22 positions in a team is top 10 individually for that 1 position?

It has little bearing on winning the only prize in football!

Around the ground, kicking, marking, tackling, harassing? Easily top 10.
Hitouts? No

But he is 23 and better than majority of the rucks in the competition at the same age.

In my opinion, Gawn, Grundy, Ryder, Naitanui, Goldstein, S. Martin, McEvoy, Jacobs, Witts are ahead of him. Puts him 10th in my view. So yes.

I think around the ground hes as good as any ruckman in the league. Tapwork is probably the worst

As others have mentioned, his work around the ground is good. Kicks goals, lays the big mummy style tackles, goes back into defense and takes marks.

Tap ruckman ? Pretty average. Is no where near as athletic as others

If all the mentioned ruckmen are fit, no. But as it stands at the moment, I'd be taking him over a good portion of the blokes mentioned in the OP that can't even get on the park.

I like him, tough and gets amongst it, if he isn't top 10 he'd be bloody close.

Agree i personally think he is. The reason i say that is due to the fact he makes those around him perform better which imo is part of a rucks role in the modern game, he enhances our structure.

He is also just 23 so a baby in ruck terms

If all the mentioned ruckmen are fit, no. But as it stands at the moment, I'd be taking him over a good portion of the blokes mentioned in the OP that can't even get on the park.

Another underrated aspect of what makes a good player....Getting on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as a pure ruckman he is probably not top 10 - he often doesn't win the hitout ratio. but as for importance to a team there is probably no single player more important to any teams chance than this guy

In terms of importance to his team I would say top 5. He doesn't really play like a ruckman, but someone has to be there. He does wear down his opponents through jumping into them and general beast like behaviour.

He is good to watch going about it too. Always looks like he wants to hurt someone.

Good, solid, no nonsense player that every team needs - adds a lot around the ground. Can throw his weight around too when needed (but without being dirty). Don't think he's missed a game since he joined the Tigers either. Wasn't happy when he left the Swans, but they had a lot more options in the ruck when he did, so no issues that he wanted to leave to get a regular game. Richmond definitely gained out of that trade.

Roughly 10th best ruck in the comp give or take a few spots, sounds about right. He gets mentioned a lot for a fairly ordinary first ruck.

When you’ve had snowflakes like Angus Graham as your number 1 ruck, a competitive beast like Nank that breathes fire and stiff arms BT is a joy to watch. You know he’s going to bring it all to the table week in week out. End of the day he’s a premiership ruck man and how many others in the comp are?

When you’ve had snowflakes like Angus Graham as your number 1 ruck, a competitive beast like Nank that breathes fire and stiff arms BT is a joy to watch. You know he’s going to bring it all to the table week in week out. End of the day he’s a premiership ruck man and how many others in the comp are?

Nankervis
Jordan Roughead
McEvoy

It's an exclusive list. And none over 200cm. Beanpole-free zone.

He’s 16th in the league for hit outs, which suggests he’s one of the worst among number 1 ruckman for hitouts. This is despite only having Grigg as a second ruckman, so he’s down the order for hitouts despite carrying a heavier load than nearly every other ruck in the league.

He balances it out though by being number 3 amongst all ruckman for disposals per game, behind just Grundy and Martin. He slightly edges Gawn for disposals.

He’s basically the same player that Ivan Maric was for us. He’s on the shorter side for a ruck (199cm) and he doesn’t have a big leap, and doesn’t win many hitouts. But hitout numbers have proven to be largely overrated at Richmond and he more than makes up for it with his second efforts once the ball hits the deck. Maric was the same.

In fact, if you look at Richmond’s form since the arrival of Maric you will notice something interesting: the only time Richmond have had dips in form is when either Maric or Nankervis aren’t playing.

They managed a 15-7 record in each of 2013, 2015 and 2017, when either Maric or Nankervis played 20+ games.

I’m 2014 they started the season 3-10 before winning 9 on the trot? Maric missed the first 9 and was replaced by Shaun Hampson, who, while great at getting hitouts, had no physical presence and was a liability outside of ruck contests. He played in a few close losses to start with before Hampson was dropped and the 9-0 run started.

He retired at the end of 2015, with Nankervis arriving for 2017. What happened in 2016? Hampson played out the year as number 1 ruck and the team bombed.

The value of both Maric and Nankervis isn’t in their hitouts, where both were relatively ordinary, it’s in the extra effort and physical presence they have once he ball hits the deck. They double up like an extra midfielder.

To answer the question, he’s probably about 10th overall. As far as value to Richmond goes there’s probably only a handful that would be a better fit.

Who retired in 2015?

Ivan Maric retired in 2017.
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-06-29/maric-announces-retirement

Shaun Hampson retired in 2018
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...l/news-story/1e0273b5c2de86fc04a3b1fc01eac21c

Remove this Banner Ad

Back