Is Toby Nankervis A Top 10 Ruckman Of The Competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much what everyone is alluding to, but he goes down we are in a bit of strife.
Like to see Soldo get a go this weekend and give Tobs a rest, maybe he can team up with BT in the rooms after the game this week....

Can't see him been rested as the Suns beat the Swans. Look at how Nankervis played against Collingwood, he was rested through the game.

I'd say he's on the cusp but being a top 10 ruckman is like playing for a top 10 side, doesn't mean that much. Pretty much every team except mine plays one ruckman, so if you are the 20th best ruckman you aren't getting a game at AFL level. It's not like rating key forwards where most teams play 2 or 3 or midfielders where teams play 6-10 of them.

More importantly for The Nank is that he is good enough for what his team needs and the ruck is no longer an area of weakness. Hawthorn won 3 flags without a star ruckman, the Dogs won with Boyd/Roughead, Swans won 2012 with Mike Pyke as the eventual #1 etc. You could replace Nankervis with Dean Cox at his peak or Max Gawn right now and it would be an improvement, but if you took him out and they had to ruck with Hampson or Griffiths again that would make a bigger difference the other way.

I'd say he's on the cusp but being a top 10 ruckman is like playing for a top 10 side, doesn't mean that much. Pretty much every team except mine plays one ruckman, so if you are the 20th best ruckman you aren't getting a game at AFL level. It's not like rating key forwards where most teams play 2 or 3 or midfielders where teams play 6-10 of them.

More importantly for The Nank is that he is good enough for what his team needs and the ruck is no longer an area of weakness. Hawthorn won 3 flags without a star ruckman, the Dogs won with Boyd/Roughead, Swans won 2012 with Mike Pyke as the eventual #1 etc. You could replace Nankervis with Dean Cox at his peak or Max Gawn right now and it would be an improvement, but if you took him out and they had to ruck with Hampson or Griffiths again that would make a bigger difference the other way.

Bingo!!

Screen_Shot_2018_08_09_at_1_46_59_pm.png

yep, 9th best.

Nank the Tank!
He is not the greatest tap ruckman but his on the ground, second efforts and around the ground play are consistent and reliable. Decent disposal skills too. And he perfectly suits Richmond's gamestyle where winning the clearance is not the be all and end all.

No team can afford (salary cap) to have the best of the best of each type of player. I'm very happy with the value Nank brings.

Currently ranked 6th amongst ruckmen in Supercoach. I reckon thats about right for the current season. To be fair though Ryder, Nicnat and Kreuzer are better but have had injury interrupted seasons.

Interestingly Sinclair is currently ranked at 5!

As I commented earlier in the thread, part of being a good player is getting on the park.

With the benefit of hindsight, who would you prefer over the past 2 seasons, Nankervis or the three you'd mentioned?
Nankervis has played 43 games (and still going strong), NicNat has played 15, Ryder 35 and Kreuzer 33. The latter 3 might be better when fit, but are they so much better to make up for that shortfall in games? (especially considering that losing the ruck is probably the single biggest case where the rest of the team needs to adjust to the absence).

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but interesting reading.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2018/8/2/nankervis

When watching Nankervis around the ground (and following up from ruck contests) I often catch myself thinking "he thinks he's people" because he plays more like an oversized midfielder than a typical unco ruckman. That dribble snap goal against Geelong was out of Rioli's playbook.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but interesting reading.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2018/8/2/nankervis

When watching Nankervis around the ground (and following up from ruck contests) I often catch myself thinking "he thinks he's people" because he plays more like an oversized midfielder than a typical unco ruckman. That dribble snap goal against Geelong was out of Rioli's playbook.

Yeah, nah.

It makes a good point that article. But underneath the focus on resting Nank for the last quarter is that Nank suits the Tigers game plan to a T. What he adds is inside pressure, intercept marking and nullifying contests. That makes the team much more better (grammar??) than a great ruck that doesn't add the pressure, or intercepts.

Put another way. A great ruck that wins taps wouldn't help the Tigers that much. But someone that adds power in contests and increases pressure through tackling 1%s and intercepts adds hugely to this particular team.

On another team that might be very different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is this possible

His ruckwork is - by most estimates - not great. He's below average in tapouts - either to advantage or otherwise.

However, his other work around the ground - crashing packs, clearing paths for his mids, contested pack marking, is excellent. He's the classic 'Big Body'.

Read some of the other Richmond posters on this board. They go into this in more detail.

He's your classic important cog in a well functioning machine type.

Reminds me a bit of Greg Dear who played in three flags with the Hawks in the 80s. No world beater but without him you don't get the premierships.

In the top 10? Yep.

Even though he may lose taps, his follow up work to pressure the midfielders around the ball means that the taps to advantage by his opposing ruck man do not count as much. Similar to Grundy, who is a work horse also. Stefan Martin similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back