Is Tunbridge gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no faith in the tribunal system. This was a trial by reputation. If that was a big name player the week before a grand final there is no way it would have been 1 week, let alone 3 (reduced to 2).

Love Australian rules football, but sometimes I wonder about the AFL

I am totally lost with the MRP, the old style tribunal worked much better.
It is not what you do it is who you are.
Not sure what else Tunbridge could do, are they supposed to ask the opposition player to brace for being tackled?
Harvey gets off with a punch to the head.

It i about time the AFL and everyone accepts this sport is a sport you can get hurt in, if you don't like it then don't play it. You can't have a 360 degree contact sport without the chance of injury.

Accidents are accidents and it is the risk you take as a player, players are trained to tackle like they do. How can you penalise them to do as they are trained?
Harvey didn't punch Mitchell - a swinging arm - fist didn't touch his head. Mitchell got up and continued to play.

Turnbridge knocked a bloke out. You can't sling a player to the ground any more.

I know I can't be truly objective as an Eagles fan, but I really, really hate this decision.

I know that a player is held responsible for any damage he causes - but that's not to say that he's wholly responsible for it. In this case, as others have already stated, Kennedy has an arm free, and he's prioritising getting his kick in over taking some responsibility for his own safety.

Hopefully the footy media takes an interest in this despite it being a no-name player from an interstate club, cos it sets a really bad precedent if they're saying that there is no onus/responsibility on the tackled player to look after his own safety.

It's entirely consistent with previous judgements, but it says something about the state of the MRP when nobody has a clue as to how they'll see it.

I knew they would ping him, but would love to see it challenged as there is enough of a grey area with this one to have a chance.

Dunno about the strike though - haven't seen the vision of it. If it is off the ball and high, they are usually pretty hard to overturn.

I assume he can accept one charge and challenge the other?

If it gets increased from 3 to 4 (or 5) I don't think that makes a difference - even with 3 we would need to still be in it in the second week of finals and I don't see him being brought into a winning finals side. He really needs to play again before the end of the season if he is any chance to play finals.

Harvey didn't punch Mitchell - a swinging arm - fist didn't touch his head. Mitchell got up and continued to play.

Turnbridge knocked a bloke out. You can't sling a player to the ground any more.

Yes you can sling a player to the ground, if he gets hurts in an offence if he is fine it's not. 99% of them are fine and 1% is not. It's crap and you know it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Schulz got off for doing the same thing to Ted Richards weeks later.

Ergo, the rule is anything but clear!
They came out and said they made an error with Schultz.

Schultz, Gibbs, Tumbridge and Dempsey all deserved weeks. 3/4 did with 1 getting off an error. Where is the confusion?

What is the rule then? I saw at least 30 similar tackles on the weekend without incident. The rule is based on outcome.
What is the rule?
KO a player and it's weeks. Same as why you bump - breaking a jaw gets a lot more weeks than a bump the player gets up and continues to play. The doctors report comes into now.

KO a player and it's weeks. Same as why you bump - breaking a jaw gets a lot more weeks than a bump the player gets up and continues to play. The doctors report comes into now.

So there was nothing wrong wit th the tackle except the bloke got a head ache? He seemed OK watching his side for the last 10 minutes.

As soon as the stretcher comes on the field the player has to be off for 20 minutes. Happened 15 mins into the last quarter so in fairness he may have been fine.
The consequence of the action gets penalised - thanks Chris Scott.

They bring a stretcher on the field and go a man down for the important last 15 mins because he was fine? They ain't calling for a stretcher for a player that is fine.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back