Opinion Is Ugle-Hagan the first ever ‘strategic’ #1 pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

DroppingTheBall

All Australian
Jul 12, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just wondering if it has ever happened before. That the club with the #1 pick doesn’t pick the player that they rated #1 (that was Thilthorpe in 2020), but reads out another name for purely strategic reasons.

Is this the first time?

I know that being #1 pick is a bit of a mixed blessing anyway, but the way it happened this year must leave JUH feeling a bit used, “we only called your name so we could get someone else later down the list”. It usually means “you are the best kid in the country”.

But I’m mainly interested in the historical curiosity.

Just wondering if it has ever happened before. That the club with the #1 pick doesn’t pick the player that they rated #1 (that was Thilthorpe in 2020), but reads out another name for purely strategic reasons.

Is this the first time?

I know that being #1 pick is a bit of a mixed blessing anyway, but the way it happened this year must leave JUH feeling a bit used, “we only called your name so we could get someone else later down the list”. It usually means “you are the best kid in the country”.

But I’m mainly interested in the historical curiosity.
Adelaide fans actually fell for your list managers backtracking? It’s so transparent. The farcical suggestion that you really rated Thilthorpe 1 but wanted to stop us getting Rowe is even better. We were never get a pick near where Rowe went even if JUH went at 3.

Is it related to something else brewing for a bit of promotional value ? Or distraction value. Hollands to Gold Coast was more interesting to me as well as the lack of bid on Errol Gulden when Sydney was clearly exposed and scrambling. Also GWS after missing all the tall defenders should have bid on Cody Brand at their third pick so Bruhn, Stone then bid on Brand.

That is enough conspiracy theories to keep Mulder and Scully busy for awhile.

This was posted on the dogs board the day after the draft. And sums the situation up 100%.

What an absolutely incredible piece of propaganda this is. My word.

In 24 hours, their story has completely changed from "We will pick the best player at #1, regardless of who it is," to, "We have devised a masterful, multi-step plan in order to take a very specific player in the late ******* second round."

On top of how ridiculous that is, they publish a story that breaks this master plan down into multiple steps, and include a summary of the entire points system to demonstrate how exactly they 'beat' us.

I wonder why they didn't add step three: "Wait for 16 other clubs to decide that this player wasn't good enough for them to take at their selection."

An absolutely hysterical and incredible move by their media team. Did they recruit the author from China or Russia by any chance

This was posted on the dogs board the day after the draft. And sums the situation up 100%.

In 24 hours, their story has completely changed from "We will pick the best player at #1, regardless of who it is," to, "We have devised a masterful, multi-step plan in order to take a very specific player in the late ******* second round."

On top of how ridiculous that is, they publish a story that breaks this master plan down into multiple steps, and include a summary of the entire points system to demonstrate how exactly they 'beat' us.

I wonder why they didn't add step three: "Wait for 16 other clubs to decide that this player wasn't good enough for them to take at their selection."

An absolutely hysterical and incredible move by their media team. Did they recruit the author from China or Russia by any chance
So why would we nominate JUH when we knew we couldn't get him then? Why would we not have pick 1 and all the fan fare?
There was obviously a reason.
And the Crows never said RT was the best kid in the draft, they said he was their number 1 target that was gettable.

The Crows media team generally kick goals, the camp was great, "we will have pick 1 and 2 or we will match", now we had a cunning plan all along. Only in Camry land do they buy this bullshit.

So why would we nominate JUH when we knew we couldn't get him

to force the bulldogs to pay full price.

adelaide’s propaganda about bidding so we couldn’t get James ******* Rowe late in the second round was the laughable part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Crows still annoyed over Keath.
Glad they did it.
Adelaide football club and their fans are kidding themselves if they were thinking they were ever getting a 1st rounder for a 27 year old 30 gamer it was never going to happen

Last edited:

I think the thing here is that both things can be true at the same time. JUH was rated the best player - the crows knew they had no chance of getting him as the dogs were 1000% going to match a bid and the net effect of still bidding on him was to knock the dogs picks out of the draft and allow the club a clearer run at a player they wanted. So was JUH the best rated kid in the draft - Yes, did the crows need to bid on him - yes (flow on effect). So Ogilvie running with the line the crows will pick the best available was true

I think the thing here is that both things can be true at the same time. JUH was rated the best player - the crows knew they had no chance of getting him as the dogs were 1000% going to match a bid and the net effect of still bidding on him was to knock the dogs picks out of the draft and allow the club a clearer run at a player they wanted. So was JUH the best rated kid in the draft - Yes, did the crows need to bid on him - yes (flow on effect). So Ogilvie running with the line the crows will pick the best available was true
I highly doubt we were even interested in Rowe to begin with

* imagine picking James Rowe and giving Stephen Rowe more of a chance to hang around.

can’t wait to see how he goes if James plays and gets criticised in any way given how defensive he gets even just about the crows

Will JUH get a run in the seniors in 2021 with former Lions great Josh Schache still on the list?

Will JUH get a run in the seniors in 2021 with former Lions great Josh Schache still on the list?

give it up. Yes Schache left the lions and hasn’t kicked on.

you don’t see us piling on Marcus Adams in every thread

give it up. Yes Schache left the lions and hasn’t kicked on.

you don’t see us piling on Marcus Adams in every thread
It was a tongue firmly in cheek joke MOC, no need to get the panties in a twist... go for it re Marcus Adams, water off a ducks back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back