Player Watch Isaac Quaynor (Academy Prospect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
I have said all along he will play round 1 as our small defender if he stays injury free during preseason.

Maynard and Langdon might have something to say about that.

Quaynor also needs to improve his field kicking significantly if the kick test debacle from the combine is even a remotely accurate indication of his disposal by foot (especially on the left), if indeed he is a guaranteed to take a spot in the back six from round one next year.

Quaynor also needs to improve his field kicking significantly if the kick test debacle from the combine is even a remotely accurate indication of his disposal by foot (especially on the left), if indeed he is a guaranteed to take a spot in the back six from round one next year.
His field kicking is meant to be a real strength in games. I wouldn’t stress too much about the combine test, even if it was Buckley who helped devise it.

They’re mediums. Langdon in particular tends to play tall. We don’t actually have a genuine small defender outside Appleby on the list right now. Just guys who are flexible enough to do the role. No reason IQ couldn’t play alongside Maynard and Langdon.
It’s not. He’s regarded as a very good field kick in general.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

Debacle? :think:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

And how many in our backline kick well on there opposite foot, or use it.
The best test is on the footy field and he looks good with his kicking there.

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm

Isn’t that combine test an aggregate of kicking on both feet? Do we have a break down on his kicking on his preferred v non-preferred foot? That result may just be telling us that he isn’t a good kick on his non-preferred which is pretty common in the AFL these days. That’s why they all rave about Sidebottom being so good at it.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
His field kicking is meant to be a real strength in games. I wouldn’t stress too much about the combine test, even if it was Buckley who helped devise it.

I'm not too fussed about it in terms of his long term prospects. Perhaps nerves or the occasion got to him, but adding that to him basically not being able to get near it in the grand final at least raises some questions - not in terms of whether he'll be good in general but in terms of how long it might take him to get up to AFL standard.

Having said that some pretty strong statements are being made here about Quaynor being a virtual lock to make it into the best 22 for round 1 and, while I like him as a player in general and see him as possibly fitting a list need and allowing Maynard to eventually push up into the middle of the ground like others do, I'm wary of both taking him too early in the draft and expecting too much from him out of the gate if we do pick him up.

I'd be perfectly happy to be proven wrong of course, meaning we have another version of Stephenson - or should I say something closer to a Wanganeen - on our hands in the back half. :D

Last edited:
That’d be great, but yeah I wouldn’t expect him to be in the team round 1. Just happy that he’s considered to be not too far off senior footy.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Isn’t that combine test an aggregate of kicking on both feet? Do we have a break down on his kicking on his preferred v non-preferred foot? That result may just be telling us that he isn’t a good kick on his non-preferred which is pretty common in the AFL these days. That’s why they all rave about Sidebottom being so good at it.

I haven't seen any figures beyond him not making it inside the top 10 - I suspect he would have gotten a mention if he'd scored 22 or higher.

Given that his field kicking was noted as a real strength coming in this vision in Twomey's tweet looked a bit ordinary:

Not saying it was a deal breaker or anything but I would have expected something a little better given the hype he is getting.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't seen any figures beyind him not making it inside the top 10 - I suspect he would have gotten scored 22 or higher.

Given that his field kicking was noted as a real strength coming in this vision in Twomey's tweet looked a bit ordinary:

Not saying it was a deal breaker or anything but I would have expected something a little better given the hype he is getting.

From the games I have seen his kicking is over hyped on here, but he is not a poor kick and is generally a good kick just not Nathan Buckley good.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't seen any figures beyind him not making it inside the top 10 - I suspect he would have gotten scored 22 or higher.

Yep it's certainly a downbeat note . . . might make a few clubs think twice . . . gee - now wouldn't that be great for a club looking to draft him for less than a first round pick??????

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't seen any figures beyond him not making it inside the top 10 - I suspect he would have gotten a mention if he'd scored 22 or higher.

Ahm, #tanking

From the games I have seen his kicking is over hyped on here, but he is not a poor kick and is generally a good kick just not Nathan Buckley good.
Not many have been as good as Nathan’s kicking, and your right, he no where near his, but his match day kicking is better than most of the other kids l reckon.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
From the games I have seen his kicking is over hyped on here, but he is not a poor kick and is generally a good kick just not Nathan Buckley good elite
EFA

Nathan one of greatest ever kicks for passing; or anything really.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
EFA

Nathan one of greatest ever kicks for passing; or anything really.

Yes Nathan was, as I've said repeatedly on here before and hence Nathan Buckley good as a rule.

But that wasn't my point more so that if you read some of the hype you would expect Buckley esque kicking skills. And in reply to partytime I was saying Quaynor is a good kick but probably has been over hyped at this stage re his kicking ability and is definitely NOT a poor kick like he had suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back