Isaac Quaynor injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Too late. A supposed professional coach makes unfounded accusations of him of wearing illegal boots with no evidence whatsoever. Absolute campaigner move.
Correct move in the end because he was correct. I think you own Nathan an apology.

No issue with the fact that no sanction was handed down and I'm confident that the coverage this injury has received will ensure clubs and players will hereby be extra diligent around the boots they're using.

It has got me thinking though, that had the shoe been on the other foot and no sanction was handed down after the illegal boot of a Collingwood player did the same thing, how quickly and loudly the generic Vic bias line would be thrown around across these platforms 🤔
youre way too kind. illegal footware causes a major injury requiring surgery. i wouldnt be surprised if its illegal under australian law (not just the afl) as part of a catch all regarding workplace safety and appropriate workware.

sydney should be up for a big fine.

I remember my junior soccer team (about 25 years ago) we were encouraged to wear metal capped studs. The coach even had a bucket full of replacement ones in the rooms pregames. The league eventually cracked down on them and banned them but they were bloody dangerous.

youre way too kind. illegal footware causes a major injury requiring surgery. i wouldnt be surprised if its illegal under australian law (not just the afl) as part of a catch all regarding workplace safety and appropriate workware.

sydney should be up for a big fine.
Yep if i was the q kid i would be chasing the free cash from the afl/swans for compensation.

Most of those look like the same model boots but with different studs to me.

If that timeline is true and Collingwood players questioned Wicks about it before the game, I have no idea how Sydney escaped a sanction.

Clearly the hybrid studs set up are not as widespread claimed if Collingwood players were able to spot that Wicks specifically was wearing them illegally.

Most of those look like the same model boots but with different studs to me.

If that timeline is true and Collingwood players questioned Wicks about it before the game, I have no idea how Sydney escaped a sanction.

Clearly the hybrid studs set up are not as widespread claimed if Collingwood players were able to spot that Wicks specifically was wearing them illegally.

in the bontempelli photo, his studs look different, but Westhoff is wearing metal studs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look at the video it's not really clear how the stud split his leg open. I don't think we can discount someone planting a sharp object in the ground as an act of sabotage, or maybe a sprinkler.

from juniors to Colts level we were checked before EVERY match by the field umpires. Finger nails were checked, you were checked for sharps like watches and rings .....and the umpires ran their hands across the bottomof our boots as we held each foot up - making sure there were no sharp studs. When did that stop happening ?

Does anyone know if the document that outlines the prohibited items (bobby pins, hair band colours, metal stops etc.) is available? I'm guessing it's an AFL league specific rulebook (not available to the public) rather than somthing you would find in the Laws of Australian Rules Football.

Yeah but these players didn't cause injury splitting a players leg open so its just stiff sh*t a swans player did it first so no excuse or silly deflection game's. A swans player injured someone first with bad luck so end of story you gotta cop it on the chin.
Sure you’d cop it on the chin if it was a de Goey/dusty situation.

I hope there isn't reactionary rules brought in for something I've seen exactly once, and it definitely wasn't intentional.

If an umpire blows a whistle to hold up the game for even a second over this it would have had too much league wide impact.

It's a horrible shame that Isaac Quaynor was injured like this.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how even metal studs could do that much damage.
I and everyone in my team played rugby with metal studs for more than 10 years and I’ve never seen anything like this at all, and we were deliberately racking at people with those studs in rucks.
Yeah you’d occasionally get some blood, but that looks like someone has gone at his leg with a razor blade
This. I got raked on the back of my head against a team from Liverpool once and even that was just a few solid cuts, nothing like that.

I hope there isn't reactionary rules brought in for something I've seen exactly once, and it definitely wasn't intentional.

If an umpire blows a whistle to hold up the game for even a second over this it would have had too much league wide impact.

It's a horrible shame that Isaac Quaynor was injured like this.

Certainly was an accident, Buckley even said so himself in the presser - but still got canned on here and Twitter (most who hadn’t even heard/watched the comments).

Unfortunately takes a serious incident for change in most cases, glad the league will ban those boots and tighten up on footwear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back