Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t share the optimism of Scharenberg coming straight into the side of Moore plays back.

It just means we structure with 2 KPD (Moore, Dunn), 3 mediums (Howe, Langdon, Shaz), 2 smalls (Crisp, Maynard). Shaz plays as a medium which he is probably best suited to anyway. Shaz is class and I reckon we'll find a spot for him.

It just means we structure with 2 KPD (Moore, Dunn), 3 mediums (Howe, Langdon, Shaz), 2 smalls (Crisp, Maynard). Shaz plays as a medium which he is probably best suited to anyway. Shaz is class and I reckon we'll find a spot for him.
Yes he’s class.
Terrific decision maker.
Cool head.
You can’t teach poise.
Drives well in traffic.

I don’t share the optimism of Scharenberg coming straight into the side of Moore plays back.
I think Scharenberg is going to have to reinvent himself again tbh. Still think he’s suited to being an inside mid.

Inside mid, figure skater, world heavyweight champion...it's between those three for the 'anything's possible' stakes.

Suggest his weight would be more in a Cruiserweight division.

:think::p

Given he did his knee July 28th and it’s a repeat reco you would think a return late in the season would be likely. Gratifying to see him progressing well on the track but a third reco would get a pretty conservative recovery so it’s likely he will need 12 months before he plays

Inside mid, figure skater, world heavyweight champion...it's between those three for the 'anything's possible' stakes.
He has all the attributes needed to play the position. Knows how to get the ball, good evasiveness in close, and good vision. Construct a real argument instead of being an arse if you disagree.

Shaz is a natural and classy defender and I don't see him playing up the field, Dunne and even Howe are getting up their in age and towards the end of their careers and I can see Shaz being given plenty of time to get back to his best and eased back in. These days our depth is usually being sorely tested by the last third of the season however, even if he doesn't play a lot of AFL this year, he should be primed for next season.

Cute. I might be an a-hole sometimes, but it’s not often I throw stones in regards to player discussion without coming up with a solid argument at least.
You're not an a-hole, but your online persona certainly comes across as a bit cold and, at times, standoffish for no reason whatsoever. I've found it, even if comments I make are not intended on being received as such.

The Lumumba comparisons do my head in.

He's black, plays in the Collingwood backline and has some toe. That's where the similarities end, for mine.

Watch any footage at all of IQ with ball in hand and you can see he's not a run and blast footballer.

How good he will be is crystal ball stuff, but he's just a different type of footballer to H.

He's black, plays in the Collingwood backline and has some toe. That's where the similarities end, for mine.

Watch any footage at all of IQ with ball in hand and you can see he's not a run and blast footballer.

How good he will be is crystal ball stuff, but he's just a different type of footballer to H.
I hate the people who scream racist at the drop of a hat but it sort of seems like there's some kind of racial implications going on with comparing Quaynor so readily to Lumumba.

Quaynor isn't the next Harry O - he's the next Isaac Quaynor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate the people who scream racist at the drop of a hat but it sort of seems like there's some kind of racial implications going on with comparing Quaynor so readily to Lumumba.

Quaynor isn't the next Harry O - he's the next Isaac Quaynor.

I'm not going to call anyone racist either because there's clearly nothing malicious in it.

Ironically, IQ modelled his game in part on Jason Johannisen and JJ also isnt known for his kicking!

Time will sort it out though. As you say, ultimately he will be known for who he is, not who he kinda sorta physically resembles.

I have to admit, I was a bit baffled when KM said he could turn in to a Lumumba type. As you said, aside from his skin colour and the fact he’s pretty quick, he seems like a vastly different type of defender.

Given he did his knee July 28th and it’s a repeat reco you would think a return late in the season would be likely. Gratifying to see him progressing well on the track but a third reco would get a pretty conservative recovery so it’s likely he will need 12 months before he plays

The last few times he returned he needed a while in the VFL to get some touch back, he is very ginger early on.

The last few times he returned he needed a while in the VFL to get some touch back, he is very ginger early on.

In fact when Schaz returned from his last reco, it was in 2017 (he missed all of 2016) and he was in and out of the seniors for most of the year, being frequently dropped back to the twos. He played 10 games, and it was very frustrating for the fans as his being dropped didnt always look form related, but appeared more like managing him to improve he senior conditioning and confidence in his body.

That plan paid off in 2018, although he wasnt selected for the first couple of games. So even on the eve of what turned out to be Schaz's 'break out' season, there were still some questions over his readiness.

He has still only played 31 games.

I hope we don’t structure up like that. It’s too tall and slow and the amount of intercepers there is overkill.

He has all the attributes needed to play the position. Knows how to get the ball, good evasiveness in close, and good vision. Construct a real argument instead of being an arse if you disagree.

The only infielder I’ve ever seen make a genuinely successful career out of being a slow midfielder is Pendlebury.

Shaz is a good player, but he’s no Scott Pendlebury.

I think there are some similarities when you see him as an attacking defender who like to take the game on and attack. Quaynor in one of his draft video interviews mentioned growing up being a Collingwood fan and H was his idol. Mentioned he tried to model his game on Lumumba. There is a basis for the comparison for mine.

I hope we don’t structure up like that. It’s too tall and slow and the amount of intercepers there is overkill.

I think you're not giving full credit to those players, especially around their pace and their ability to do more than simply "intercept". I'd like to think every player in our squad has some capacity to intercept.

Hang on, I'm a mug punter and I think it's an issue. Appears to this mug to have some significant weighting difficulties with his kicking.

No more so than most players when they're starting out and I've never said it was elite. My comments were in response to Mark W's assertion that Appleby was similar to Greenwood whose disposal "just isn't good enough and gets badly exposed". His DE% is ranked 2nd behind Scharenberg at Collingwood and 22nd league wide. Greenwood is ranked 30th at Collingwood. Yes, it's a flawed measure but it certainly doesn't support the negativity of some toward his disposal.

I think you're not giving full credit to those players, especially around their pace and their ability to do more than simply "intercept". I'd like to think every player in our squad has some capacity to intercept.
When Crisp and Maynard are the only players who offer run and carry the defence is slow, regardless of the other players pace.

When Crisp and Maynard are the only players who offer run and carry the defence is slow, regardless of the other players pace.

The only time we've been reduced to just Crisp and Maynard offering run and carry is when Langdon and Howe are assigned roles they wouldn't normally have due to the absence of others (Dunn, Scharenberg, Moore). Of the players that were mentioned, only Scharenberg lacks any real run and carry, all the others do it. They just choose when they do exercise the option, as they should.

I think there are some similarities when you see him as an attacking defender who like to take the game on and attack. Quaynor in one of his draft video interviews mentioned growing up being a Collingwood fan and H was his idol. Mentioned he tried to model his game on Lumumba. There is a basis for the comparison for mine.

I went and looked back at some interviews and he said he understands the continual comparison as he also has African heritage and likes to run. And he looked up to H as a bit of a role model.

But H just played so differently with ball in hand to IQ, from what I've seen.

Like I said, I get why the comparison is made but I don't agree with it. :)